MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs
lms.ktp
Panel looks great!!
diophantine
djangosfire wrote:
Also, I have an original 111 Buchla Dual Ring Modulator module... so if there is a need for pics or info, just send me a PM.

Hey, I'd be curious to know about those holes in the front centre of the panel... are they just mounting holes for the PCBs, or are there trimpots behind those holes??
djangosfire
diophantine wrote:
djangosfire wrote:
Also, I have an original 111 Buchla Dual Ring Modulator module... so if there is a need for pics or info, just send me a PM.

Hey, I'd be curious to know about those holes in the front centre of the panel... are they just mounting holes for the PCBs, or are there trimpots behind those holes??

Trim pots for adjustments....... not sure exactly what parameter though ..... I'll look into it!
monokinetic
Please put me down for 1. Thanks.
303monkey
Dego wrote:
regularjackson wrote:
jooks wrote:
PF wrote:
Im in, 1 if its a double (like 111) or 2 if single board.

Same for me!

ditto

As for me nanners

ditto
vgermuse
I'm in for two thumbs up
keninverse
2 for me please.
e-grad
I shouldn't do it, but two for me, please.
MechaSeb
what about adding "CBS Musical Instruments" on bottom ? As it doesn't directly refer to "Buchla & Associates" i think it'd be ok, innit ?
Rod Serling Fan Club
MechaSeb wrote:
what about adding "CBS Musical Instruments" on bottom ? As it doesn't directly refer to "Buchla & Associates" i think it'd be ok, innit ?

I'm sure CBS doesn't care much about some small batch of panels for DIY. It does strike me as a bit disingenuous though. It reminds me of re-badging a car or something. Anyone who knows enough about Buchla to care, will know they aren't originals anyway. Am I wrong?
HueMonContact
Put me down for 2 The panels look cool Rod!
ChrisR
djangosfire wrote:
diophantine wrote:

Trim pots for adjustments....... not sure exactly what parameter though ..... I'll look into it!

According to the schematic there are five trimpots for *each* of the two ringmods, but only four holes on the whole panel.
Would be interesting to know which ones are accessible through the panel, and maybe even why. smile

Also, what is the difference between the two signal outputs per channel? Is there any?
The bases of Q9 & Q10 are fed slightly different signals it seems?
seriously, i just don't get it
harolddonnelly
I'd be into a couple is they run on 12 volts
bennybones
Want one!
decaying.sine
I am interested in four PCBs.
glitchpop
Looks like power is +15V. Does that mean it won't work on +12V -12V?
camelneck
I'm interested in 2 PCBs.
valis
Is the IT122 the same as TIP122? Both look like NPNs. Just checking..

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/120416.pdf

Thanks.

Let us know when ordering time is here!
Dego
IT122 is more like a mat02, lm394, ssm2210 or mat12
valis
Ah. So the IT122 is already a matched transistor pair?
Dego
valis wrote:
Ah. So the IT122 is already a matched transistor pair?

Yes, but very rare and expensive
Peake
The ring modulator in the Buchla 285 Frequency Shifter has four adjustments, none of them labelled. From the schematics. Sorry, can't help :(
fluxmonkey
it appears there is interest hihi , so a run will happen.

i've cleaned up the PCB layout a bit, so i want to do one more proto run to make sure i didn't mess anything up when i fixed it. should take about 10 days to get them back and built; then i'll order the production batch. i do not take preorders; i will post to this thread (with an updated title) with full ordering info when they are available.

my experience w/ the trimmers is that they are not critical settings: for a couple of them at extreme settings you start getting some distortion, but there's a pretty wide range in the middle where they seem to make very little audible difference. the boards are 2.5" x 3.8"; eyeballing the proposed buchla panel layout, you might be able to mount 2 boards parallel to the panel and add holes to allow front-panel adjustment of some or all of the trimmers, but i really don't think it'd be worth it, personally.

the 2 outputs appear to be 180deg out of synch w/ each other, other than that, they sound about the same. if you mix them both together they cancel each other out.

i do not have a 12v supply handy so i haven't tried that; caveat emptor, but i expect it would work... might lose a little headroom, but w/ buchla levels that shouldn't matter.

thanks everyone for you interest!

bbob
camelneck
djangosfire wrote:
Hell yes I'd take a few smile

Guinness ftw!

NOW someone build the 196 Phase Shifter, and we can all do some killer frequency shifting patch madness 8_)

I totally agree with you I saw your Youtube video where you (djangosfire) used a Buchla 111, a Buchla 196, & a Buchla 158 to make a frequency shifter and the result sounded awesome! Very impressive!

Since the 196 preseves a 90 degree phase shift throughout the audio frequency range, its rather obvious that the Buchla 196 contains a dome filter. I've never seen a Buchla 196 schematic so I don't know if it is just a dome filter or if there is additional circuitry in it. Ken Stone use to sell a dome filter PCB, but I'm sure it would require some additional circuitry and other modifications to make the equivalent of a Buchla 196. (BTW, Ken's website says he doesn't sell the dome filter pcbs anymore.)

I'd love to see a schematic. Does somebody have a copy of the Buchla 196 schematic that they would be willing to post?
mckenic
fluxmonkey wrote:

i do not have a 12v supply handy so i haven't tried that; caveat emptor, but i expect it would work... might lose a little headroom, but that shouldn't matter.

Watching this with interest as the Euro chaps take the plunge and hopefully give the all clear - then I can jump!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 3 of 8