MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

M-odule Style DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author M-odule Style DIY
pickleinn
I have been working on some serge style m-odules lately, and just got some of my panels back all marked and ready to drill -

I am planning on posting the designs (mostly cgs stuff) and maybe a couple of extra panels that i have duplicates of (eg. programmer/sequencer).

I think they came out great and am really happy to get away from using FPE (good quality, but expensive and hard to design on their software....i never learned how to import designs from other software).

Ryan
pickleinn
fluxmonkey
looks great! what non-FPE process are you using? i'm definitely looking at going this direction, myself.

b
panda30y
i'm interested as well. do share!
aetherpulse
Those look great. I would also be interested in the designs!
What programs are you using for the graphics?
pickleinn
Ok -

First i lay out the design in autocad (or photoshop, it doesnt matter) and print a 1:1 pdf file that i forward on to the etcher.

I source the material from www.onlinemetals.com because they will cut it to size ( the tolerance is 0 +.125" but it has always been better than that)

I sand the front panel with an orbital sander with a fine grit paper (wearing rubber gloves so no finger prints get in the way).

I took the box of panels, wrapped in saran wrap/plastic, to a local trophy engraver. He has a CO2 laser, not sure the wattage. We tested several other panels (black anodized aluminum came out amazing! nice clear white lines). Raw aluminum sanded and coated with cermark was by far the best outcome (besides the black anodized aluminum - which i am using for the center strip).

Then i center punch the hole locations and drill to size.

Finally, I give it a clear acrylic protective coating.

I will post some more pictures of the final product. I am really happy with the end result.

The local guy I am using said if we put together group orders of 10 panels we can get the cost down to around $30-40 per panel (this cost includes the aluminum material and the etching, on this size panel).
consumed
that looks awesome. id love to see the designs youve worked up.
looks realy great!
parasitk
Looks great! Got any close ups?

pickleinn wrote:
Raw aluminum sanded and coated with cermark was by far the best outcome (besides the black anodized aluminum - which i am using for the center strip).

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. This is how I'm planning to do my panels. nanners
pickleinn
parasitk wrote:
Looks great! Got any close ups?

pickleinn wrote:
Raw aluminum sanded and coated with cermark was by far the best outcome (besides the black anodized aluminum - which i am using for the center strip).

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. This is how I'm planning to do my panels. nanners

I will post some detailed pictures this weekend when i get a panel all filled up with components.

Alot of people said cermark wouldnt work well.......a few of the etchers i contacted said they couldnt do it. The guy I have been using was excellent in just trying to experiment on different materials and coatings/surface conditions.

In any case, cermark does work well in this application (i think the brushed/sanded aluminum helps it bond - the panel i gave him with a glossy finish didnt work too well). And it seems to be pretty durable....it doesnt rub off, but will scratch off if you really dig into it. the clear coating protects it well.

Ryan
pickleinn wrote:
the panel i gave him with a glossy finish didnt work too well). And it seems to be pretty durable....it doesnt rub off, but will scratch off if you really dig into it. the clear coating protects it well.

Ryan

don't know if u are aware of but you can buy
special anodized aluminum panels and then i does work well
bananeurysm
Nice! How much does your trophy guy charge for the etching?

Are you inking the engraved bits? Or is it just raw aluminum etch lines?
parasitk
bananeurysm wrote:
Are you inking the engraved bits? Or is it just raw aluminum etch lines?

The Cermark coating turns black and bonds to the metal when the laser hits it, then you wash off the un-lasered coating.
panda30y
Awesome! Need to find myself an etcher in Chicago or Detroit now! Should any trophy shop be able to do this?
daverj
Not every trophy shop has a laser. Engravers that do trophies, awards, plaques, etc... usually either use mechanical rotary engraving tools or lasers (and a small number use point impact engravers).

You'll need to find an engraver that uses a laser, and who knows about Cermark (the compound that you coat the metal with). There's more than one type of Cermark and not all of them work well with aluminum.

At $60-$80 for a small can of Cermark, it would be good to find an engraver who is already using it on aluminum.
DGTom
w00t

great stuff!

applause

sounds like the guy you found was bored enough / adventurous enough to give something new a shot & it came out a winner thumbs up well worth the effort.
bananeurysm
Are you willing to share the art files you're working from? I'm trying to get started on some similar stuff myself! smile
pickleinn
bananeurysm wrote:
Are you willing to share the art files you're working from? I'm trying to get started on some similar stuff myself! smile

yeah, no problem. Give me some time to upload them and i will post a link here. I will post the PDF of the layout if thats ok (otherwise its a dwg).

yeah, i was just looking at the panels again and am really happy! now i am overwhelmed because i have so much more to go to get these guys mounted up!

ryan
parasitk
pickleinn wrote:
(black anodized aluminum came out amazing! nice clear white lines). Raw aluminum sanded and coated with cermark was by far the best outcome (besides the black anodized aluminum - which i am using for the center strip).

Hey Ryan, where did you source your anodized aluminum?
pickleinn
parasitk wrote:
pickleinn wrote:
(black anodized aluminum came out amazing! nice clear white lines). Raw aluminum sanded and coated with cermark was by far the best outcome (besides the black anodized aluminum - which i am using for the center strip).

Hey Ryan, where did you source your anodized aluminum?

I bought raw aluminum and took it to a local anodizer. I had about 25 or so MOTM format panels all anodized for about $50. I think there are anodizing shops all around, so they should be easy to find. The test panels i used at the laser etcher were just left overs from that format.

Ryan
bananeurysm
pickleinn wrote:
I will post the PDF of the layout if thats ok (otherwise its a dwg).

I would love a link to the dwg's if you could be so kind! But either or would be sweet!
pickleinn
bananeurysm wrote:
pickleinn wrote:
I will post the PDF of the layout if thats ok (otherwise its a dwg).

I would love a link to the dwg's if you could be so kind! But either or would be sweet!

I will get them up soon.....have been busy building this thing:

close up of the panels:

and thanks to zthee, i now how a decent way of mounting the pcb's to the front panel:
DGTom
woah we're not worthy

Please to work first, share 2nd wink

Great stuff, this is going to be lifetime of synth goodness, tho I can imagine you know that already grin

Are those hinged stand-offs in the last shot?

The real question; is it a Serge that thinks its a Buchla or a Buchla that thinks its a Serge!?! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

(neither of course, but a whole lot more besides)
pickleinn
DGTom wrote:

Are those hinged stand-offs in the last shot?

Yes, those are hinged stand-offs in the last shot.....I was having a hell of a time wiring with fixed standoffs, then zthee came along and pointed me to the obvious solution! Of course, this is how the STS pcb frames are mounted too....i just didnt look hard enough to realize it.

DGTom wrote:

The real question; is it a Serge that thinks its a Buchla or a Buchla that thinks its a Serge!?! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

(neither of course, but a whole lot more besides)

Well, I will tell you that the buchla case design is not a trivial thing. It was very well thought out and even after trying to reverse-engineer the design i am having some minor issues.

Also, making these Serge style panels is alot of work. Making them quality is very hard. Rex at STS does an amazing job of shipping quality panels in a very fast turn around time. My hats off to STS. I will be a life long Serge user/customer. I am still drooling over the WAD and "wave processor" m-odule.

I have a long way to go on the panels, but its starting to materalize.....all this because zthee is taking so long on delivering his panels! thumbs up (just kidding, though the zthee designs, as well as the other serge style panels everybody is coming up with on this forum, are inspiring).

Ryan
parasitk
Great pics! Those are the BUD boats?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2