MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Keyboards with Alternative tunings?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Keyboards with Alternative tunings?
theglyph
From personal experience:

Moog Little Phatty

Ensoniq MR-76
Just me
Fizmo
My modular
VFX-SD
Rogue Ai
Not a keyboard but a rack: TX81Z

I don't know if the DX11 has this.
dougt
Prophet-5

K2000/2500/2600
jonah
dougt wrote:
K2000/2500/2600
So the sampler works with alternate tunings...Back on my to buy list. lol Any other samplers do this?

Synths:
sy77
radias
Babaluma
the korg wavestation has a fantastic implementation of programmable scale divisions/microtones. loads of presets for historical tunings too.
fyvewytches
Korg PS-3100 love
Ranxerox
DX7 II
DX11/TX81Z
Ensoniq ASR10 sampler

As for the Prophet 5, the Rev.3 models supported it, but not the Rev.1/2.
GovernorSilver
Here's an online database of microtonal/alternative tuning capable synths:
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/

The attributes you might want to pay attention to, depending on your needs, are:

12 Note Octave Scales A 12 note octave scale means that every twelve notes must repeat the same values. This type of scale can only support 12 notes per octave. The column entry lists the number of scales that can be contained in the instrument's memory and the type of scale assignment. Global assignment means that all instruments being played at the same time will have the same tuning. Per program, instrument, part or patch means that each program, instrument, part or patch can have its own tuning that is different from other programs or patches in the instrument. A part is normally a considered a MIDI channel assignment in Roland GS type synthesizers.

Full Keyboard Scales A Full Keyboard Scale means that all notes of the keyboard can be retuned independently of each other, so that scales of other than 12 notes per octave can be supported. For instance, this type of tuning could have 31 notes per octave. This column lists the number of scales that can be contained in the instrument's memory and the type of scale assignment. Global assignment means that all instruments being played at the same time will have the same tuning. Per program, instrument, part or patch means that each program, instrument, part or patch can have its own tuning that is different from other programs or patches in the instrument. A part is normally a considered a MIDI channel assignment in Roland GS type synthesizers. Equal tempered only means that scales which require unequal spacings between notes such as just intonation cannot be tuned. This restriction normally applies to analog synthesizers due to the method of retuning. Note that many MIDI instruments with "keyboard scaling" have insufficient resolution in the scaling to achieve the desired scales. For instance, you might be able to get 19.25 notes per octave rather than 19 notes per octave because the keyboard scaling is normally limited to only 128 values.

Scale Resolution This column specifies the resolution of each note retuning. For instance, 1 cent means that a note can be tuned +1 cent, +2 cents, + 3 cents, etc. from the normal 12 equal setting of 0 cents, 100 cents, 200 cents, etc.

Tuning Range per Note This column specifies the range that each note can be retuned. For instance, full MIDI means that each note can be retuned freely within the entire MIDI range to the scale resolution of the instrument. This normally applies to full keyboard scales. +/- 100 cents means that the note C could be tuned 100 cents up or down, up to C# or down to B. If an instrument with full keyboard scales is limited to +/- 100 cent tuning then it is realistically limited to 12 note per octave scales.

Scales User Interface This column describes how the tuning may be adjusted by the user to the desired values. Numeric front panel refers to a panel with simple numeric and possibly limited alphanumeric characters, such as a 3 to 4 digit 7 segment LED display, and using buttons for numeric entry . Digital front panel usually refers to a 2x16 or greater character display and buttons as the user interface. Sysex is MIDI System Exclusive which is manufacturer and instrument specific MIDI messages that are often supported by computer based synthesizer patch editors. Mac OS, Windows, Linux, etc. refer to a graphical interface based upon the specified computer operating systems. MTS refers to the MIDI Tuning Standard. SCALA .scl refers to the file format supported by the program SCALA which is a text based file. TUN or .tun refers to the file format originated for the Korg Oasys which is a text based file.
GovernorSilver
jonah wrote:
dougt wrote:
K2000/2500/2600
So the sampler works with alternate tunings...Back on my to buy list. lol Any other samplers do this?

Yes, but only equal-tempered tunings. If you want just intonation or other tunings that are not based on equal divisions of the octave (eg. certain ethnic tunings), you'll have to approximate them with an equal-tempered tuning:

http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/micro_gm.html
Seracs
PC3k series.
Rod Serling Fan Club
EML 500
vstace
Korg Z1
pulse_divider
Korg PE-1000 Poly Ensemble P has individual trimmers for each key, like a clavinet.
Repeater

My Mini Tunable CV Keyboards. Each note is tunable and you can set up weird ratios when multiple keys are pressed. Monophonic and no gate output, but it also has an input so you can use any DC voltage instead of the internal 9V battery.

http://hellospiral.tumblr.com/post/26308530762/production-model-of-the -mini-tunable-cv-keyboard

Here's a basic schematic:
worstofthewurst
The E-mu Proteus 1000/2000 line (Vintage Pro, Mo' Phatt, etc) has a really robust alternate/historical tuning implementation.
ndkent
GovernorSilver wrote:
jonah wrote:
dougt wrote:
K2000/2500/2600

Yes, but only equal-tempered tunings. If you want just intonation or other tunings that are not based on equal divisions of the octave (eg. certain ethnic tunings), you'll have to approximate them with an equal-tempered tuning:

That's not correct. It's a tune each note of the 12 note octave alternate tuning but not microtonality. You can do Werkmeister, Just and infamously Carlos scales with missing higher intervals (you really need microtonality and ideally separate octave transpose to do them correctly)

Basically you have 4 situations.

12 tone equal temperament (not microtonal) which is standard tuning. you have 12 evenly spaced intervals per octave.

Alternate Equal Temparament (is a subset of microtonality) where that number per octave is a number other than 12. Voltage control is perfect for this. Equal spaces between notes.

Alternate tuning within the octave (not microtonal) - found on some vintage synths and good for historic scales. Divide down gear can do this if implemented though the P5 isn't though has it

Full microtonality. Each interval can be anything. Tom Oberheim's Marion synths are a rare example of a (mostly) analog synth. A subset is each interval is limited to be higher than the last for technical reasons. The rare Moog Scale programmer is an example.
seek
Roland XP-5080, and therefore, probably that whole family of synths (XP-50, JV-1080, etc.).
GovernorSilver
ndkent wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
jonah wrote:
dougt wrote:
K2000/2500/2600

That's not correct. It's a tune each note of the 12 note octave alternate tuning but not microtonality. You can do Werkmeister, Just and infamously Carlos scales with missing higher intervals (you really need microtonality and ideally separate octave transpose to do them correctly)

Basically you have 4 situations.

12 tone equal temperament (not microtonal) which is standard tuning. you have 12 evenly spaced intervals per octave.

Alternate Equal Temparament (is a subset of microtonality) where that number per octave is a number other than 12. Voltage control is perfect for this. Equal spaces between notes.

Alternate tuning within the octave (not microtonal) - found on some vintage synths and good for historic scales. Divide down gear can do this if implemented though the P5 isn't though has it

Full microtonality. Each interval can be anything. Tom Oberheim's Marion synths are a rare example of a (mostly) analog synth. A subset is each interval is limited to be higher than the last for technical reasons. The rare Moog Scale programmer is an example.

I'm sorry, because you went through some effort to type the above information, but could you try again to explain to me exactly how I was incorrect?
sascha.victoria
EML101
Karl_Joseph
You can re-scale the pitch keytracking on the Waldorf XT, man I miss that synth. That was a great feature!

Karl
TallKite
If it listens to midi, this software can retune it:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118552

The only exception is mono-timbral or bi-timbral synths like the Nords. You can retune them, but you can't play chords.

Keyboards like the high-end Rolands can also be retuned via Mid Tuning Standard sysexes. That lessens the set-up hassle, but limits you to 12 notes per octave.
controlvoltage
All the recent Moog synths can do 12-note tuning scales (Little/Slim Phatty, Sub Phatty, Sub 37... I think Minitaur too but not 100% sure)

there is a free program called PhattyTuner that can read Scala files or allow custom input, and outputs Midi Tuning Standard 12-note scale sysex to the synth. In theory I think it might work with any synth that supports 12-note MTS sysex, but I've only tested it with the Moogs.
sloth713
controlvoltage wrote:
All the recent Moog synths can do 12-note tuning scales (Little/Slim Phatty, Sub Phatty, Sub 37... I think Minitaur too but not 100% sure)

there is a free program called PhattyTuner that can read Scala files or allow custom input, and outputs Midi Tuning Standard 12-note scale sysex to the synth. In theory I think it might work with any synth that supports 12-note MTS sysex, but I've only tested it with the Moogs.

Any chance of the Voyager being able to offer alternative tuning in a future firmware update?
spacessound
GovernorSilver wrote:
Here's an online database of microtonal/alternative tuning capable synths:

thumbs up
great information. Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3