MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bananafication
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author bananafication
catchpenny
Does any one have any experience building Oakley modules with banana plugs instead of jacks? Would it be as simple as just not using the sock6 pcb and just wiring the plugs to the main pcb.

I'm a little unsure as to if i will encounter grounding issues - any advice appreciated!
Synthbuilder
catchpenny wrote:
Would it be as simple as just not using the sock6 pcb and just wiring the plugs to the main pcb.

Yes, for the most part.

But some Oakley modules will use jack socket normalisation on some of the input sockets. This is a feature by which a signal is pre-routed to the input socket via the NC lug on the socket. On insertion of a jack plug the routing is broken and the inserted jack's signal takes priority. You won't be able to do this with banana plugs.

In practice this is not so much of a problem since you can re-create the behind the scenes patching with a manual patch from the front. But some front panel designs will have to rethought to allow this. See the ADSR/VCA where the input of the VCA is taken from a +5V reference signal when no jack is inserted into the VCA IN socket. You may have to add a +5V output socket which could then be manually patched into the VCA IN socket.

Tony
catchpenny
thanks very much, that is very clear and helpful. I shall be making an order soon i think.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1