MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

78L05/79L05 on Overdrive and Discontinuity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author 78L05/79L05 on Overdrive and Discontinuity
mangros
I'm putting together the Overdrive II and the Discontinuity but realised I've got 7805/7905 instead of 78L05 and 79L05.

They fit physically and the pinouts can match, but would they be acceptable substitutes in the circuits?
JohnLRice
Looks like a reasonable answer is here (until Tony gets back to you)
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/28188/7805-vs-78l05-vol tage-regulators
mangros
Yeah, saw that - not sure whether the recommended differences in caps would have an effect.

Both circuits seem to use 2u2 caps, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm waiting on some resistors anyway so I thought I might as well make sure smile
Synthbuilder
If they fit you could use them. Possible disadvantages of the 78 and 79 devices:

1. Physically larger and they have metal tab which if shorted to something may lead to unwanted surprises.

2. Current limit is way larger so if there is a short on the +/-5V lines on the modules they drive they'll happily allow up to 1.5A through. This in turn may burn out the copper tracks on the PCB.

Tony
mangros
I'll go with the L parts then, sounds a bit safer! Cheers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1