MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clock Dividers (YuSynth?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Clock Dividers (YuSynth?)
dslocum
Has anyone worked with the YuSynth Triple Clock divider? Is it something SSL should "investigate", or would you prefer something different? If so, please expand on your thoughts, and pass the "J".
EMwhite
I'm waiting for STGs; it's the killer app for the Time Module system because of it's notion of internal time which knows when 8 bars have passed, etc. Would be good to have simultaneous outputs.

Otherwise, take a look at Hexinverter's seqSquared. It's controller driven and a bit cryptic to program if you are used to knob-per-function, but functionality-wise it is very flexible and you maybe can get some ideas then implement them behind a traditional panel/knob & switch design.
odecahedron
Ie wanted one ever since i read about it on yves site... anything that divides by odd integers gets 5 thumbs up from me.. Decaying sine is almost done building one for me with gay-unicorn flavored LEDs razz. Lookin fwd to feeding it to the DDVCO

If u made one doug, id be down for another divider .. because:

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MA.... (etc
russma
I'm building one right now, nearly finished, so I'll have more to say once it's in my rig.

In the meantime, I agree about the odd divisions.
iopop
Ive built one. Having trouble clocking it from my YuSynth LFO though, always have to feed it via the Random gates(!). Not sure what's up and haven't really spent any time investigating either.. hmmm.....
emdot_ambient
Own a PCB for one....it's in my Mt. Everest backlog. confused
lucid
Mee also planning to build one, together with LFO, VCAs and gate comparator from YU design.
After this first 5U case will be filled
But when? seriously, i just don't get it

hmmm..... hmmm..... but what then
next case SlayerBadger!
fac
Ardcore + Output Expander = Ultimate clockfuckery
Scot Solida
I've built it and I use it quite a lot. I often run a pulse from the computer, drum machine or a track on a multitrack tape loop into the YuSynth Clock Divider and split off to different clock targets from there. It never lets me down. There's a flaw in mine that occasionally causes output three to act oddly, but always oddly on time. A nice bonus that'd I can't imagine I'd be able to repeat if I built it again. When it does what it's supposed to do, it's good. When it does stuff it's not supposed to do, it's brilliant! (I am sure that the flaw is mine and not the design itself - it was the very first board I etched myself)
kdjupdal
Yes, interesting module with possibility to do 3/5 divisions and so on. First I thought i would need three sequencers (which I dont have) but ther are other uses of course. The rhytmic patterns would be fun to explore.
marfoski
I have built it and I like it very much. I use it with audio too and it gives me a nice sub-octave, etc., square wave.
krisp14u
fac wrote:
Ardcore + Output Expander = Ultimate clockfuckery

I need to get my new case up and runnig to try this out cry
russma
I've just finished my build and it seems to work, although I've got a question about the reset function. (Apologies to Doug if this derails his thread.)

Let's say I patch an LFO square wave into the module and I set two of the dividers to /2. I can then see by the LED's that the two divided outputs are indeed firing at half-time, but they are firing on opposing beats. If this were a 4/4 beat, one output is firing on the 1 and 3, the other firing on the two and the four.

I'm guessing that the Reset function is used to get both outputs firing on the same beats, correct?

If so, then would I just mult the same clock pulse I'm using to drive the dividers to drive the reset? I tried this and it didn't work, so I'm wondering what kind of signal I need for the reset?

Or perhaps my reset isn't working?
JohnLRice
russma wrote:

I'm guessing that the Reset function is used to get both outputs firing on the same beats, correct?

If so, then would I just mult the same clock pulse I'm using to drive the dividers to drive the reset? I tried this and it didn't work, so I'm wondering what kind of signal I need for the reset?

hi Russ,

Try taking output number 3 and patching it into the reset and set #3's division to 4 or 8. 8_)
dslocum
That's odd. If I understand, you've got the same LFO into dividers #1 & #2, and the divide switches set to the same /2 setting?

Looking at the schematics, those two circuits are identical, and the only thing they have in common is the reset. And if you're not plugging into the reset input, there's some sort of weird issue. hmmm....

russma wrote:
I've just finished my build and it seems to work, although I've got a question about the reset function. (Apologies to Doug if this derails his thread.)

Let's say I patch an LFO square wave into the module and I set two of the dividers to /2. I can then see by the LED's that the two divided outputs are indeed firing at half-time, but they are firing on opposing beats. If this were a 4/4 beat, one output is firing on the 1 and 3, the other firing on the two and the four.

JohnLRice
Maybe if #2 wasn't set to /2 when the master clock was applied the timing of when it was switched to /2 threw it to the off beat? If you do a clean power up with nothing connected, set #1 and #2 to /2 and then connect the master clock, are they insync or opposite?

dslocum wrote:
That's odd. If I understand, you've got the same LFO into dividers #1 & #2, and the divide switches set to the same /2 setting?

Looking at the schematics, those two circuits are identical, and the only thing they have in common is the reset. And if you're not plugging into the reset input, there's some sort of weird issue. hmmm....

russma wrote:

russma
Thanks John, that was the answer.

I had applied the LFO before settting the two output divisions.

If I set the divisions first and then apply the LFO, then the outputs are synchronized.

I've got an 808 kick drum module and I'm finishing up building Hexinverter's Liquid High Hat module, both of which will soon be receiving some odd time signatures from the Yusynth clock divider.

w00t
Backroads
I will soon be in the market for a MU clock divider, and a prefabbed unit would be much preferred.
The Hamburglar
Don't rule out the multiplication features of the Tap Tempo LFO, which I love.
russma
With respect to Doug's original question, the Yusynth divider divides from /1 to /8, but gives you the desirable odd-numbered divisions. The Curetronic divider, by contrast, can divide up to /128, but only in even-numbered divisions.

It might be nice to have a reasonable combination of the two; odd-numbered divisions and higher-than /8 divisions.

I'm not sure I'd want a /128 division, but /16 and 1/32 would be handy.
e-grad
I love my Yu-Synth tripple divider. Keep in mind you can normalize/patch the ins and outs for a /512 division.
cereyanlimusiki
Did anybody convert this to Eurorack format ? If yes,can you share it ?
LED-man

Jsharpphoto
I have a voltage controlled clock divider that I love. It’s a Eurorack PCB made by SSSR LABS, but it had an MOTM power header and they said it would be fine on 15V, and it is.

It has two channels and can be normaled/daisychained. And it’s limited to “musical divisions”.
MindMachine
I see a call to Phil at Megaohm in my future...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2