MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley Discontinuity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley Discontinuity
Synthbuilder
We have a new module in 5U format. Its called the Discontinuity and its an update of the venerable Oakley Wavefolder.

Pictures and sound samples here:

http://www.oakleysound.com/discon.htm

I would expect Paul Darlow, Mister Krisp1, to be able to supply ready built complete modules very shortly.
futuresoundsystems
I can vouch that this thing is both killer and awesome. hihi
scarymcclary
i like the wave forms...one kinda looks like batman lol.
krisp14u
I will have the board sets in my hands tomorrow screaming goo yo

I'm looking forwards to getting one up and running as soon as I can nanners
cornutt
Now this looks really interesting. I was going to go for a CGS Wave Multiplier, but I'm thinking about one of these instead.
Atticus
Synthbuilder wrote:
Pictures and sound samples here:

http://www.oakleysound.com/discon.htm

The ring-mod type sounds on this page are gorgeous.
krisp14u
Atticus wrote:

The ring-mod type sounds on this page are gorgeous.

the whole thing is GORGEOUS I have been playing with one for a few days now and I haven't patched one filter in that time

It takes a little while to understand what its doing so I made a Video of the main out-put
Going in is a Triangle VCO and modulation of all parameters by the same LFO just to give a basic Idea what the Discon is capable of

you want to see what the Discon does with 2 VCO's If I get chance I will make some more videos
Funky40
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! , thanks Paul

have the CV inputs mixerstages that mix CV and manual voltage ?
= easy to add additional CV inputs ?
goiks
great video. serious want.
Synthbuilder
Funky40 wrote:
have the CV inputs mixer stages that mix CV and manual voltage ?

Yes the Fold, Discon and Threshold do. The Offset does not.

But... the input impedances to the Fold and Discon internal mixers are quite low so its not quite as easy as adding a resistor into the summing node. Unless you don't mind feeding a 22K load that is.

The threshold CV mixer is very high around 100K so that one, at least, should not be a problem.

The Fold and Discon CV inputs on the module are buffered before going to their mixers so the low impedance is not an issue for the actual CV inputs.
Funky40
Synthbuilder wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
have the CV inputs mixer stages that mix CV and manual voltage ?

Yes the Fold, Discon and Threshold do. The Offset does not.

But... the input impedances to the Fold and Discon internal mixers are quite low so its not quite as easy as adding a resistor into the summing node. Unless you don't mind feeding a 22K load that is.

The threshold CV mixer is very high around 100K so that one, at least, should not be a problem.

The Fold and Discon CV inputs on the module are buffered before going to their mixers so the low impedance is not an issue for the actual CV inputs.

uhhh, i don't understand anything about impedances oops

Synthbuilder wrote:
Unless you don't mind feeding a 22K load that is.

What would be the problem when going with a 22K ?
more interactingdanger with the module the cV comes from ?
so i wouold have to buffer too to be on the safe side ?

i definitly like to build the module with 3CV inputs on each function,
juts to be shure not to miss something.
the rebuild of my CGS wavemultiplier had 2 CV inputs. A good move but i guess one to less
Synthbuilder
Funky40 wrote:
What would be the problem when going with a 22K ?

Probably nothing - but it would create a larger than expected load on the source module. What this means is that the module giving the CV that you are using has to provide more current to maintain the output voltage. Most modules are happy enough to do this so you shouldn't need a buffer.

If you use a 47K or 50K pot and a 22K resistor into the summing node you should be fine.

Personally, I feel that mixers are best left in their own module space. In other words you may find it preferable to use dedicated mixer modules as opposed to giving every variable parameter multiple input sockets. That way you don't loose valuable panel area to mixers that can only be used for one purpose.
Funky40
OT, not really discon related:

Synthbuilder wrote:

Personally, I feel that mixers are best left in their own module space. In other words you may find it preferable to use dedicated mixer modules as opposed to giving every variable parameter multiple input sockets. That way you don't loose valuable panel area to mixers that can only be used for one purpose.

thanks Toni !

my standpoint is another one.
Overview counts for me the most !
If i patch over mixers the functions those Knobs are doing are changing all the time,
while modules that have lots of CV inputs don't change the functions.
this makes jamming lots easier.
Space counts also lots for me, so i build in euroformat, respectivly build also my Dotcom and Motm Panels with minijacks.

regarding waisted space:
Scott Stites made a very very excellent post here ..........ha found it........

Scott Stites wrote:
Soapbox

I wouldn't look at the addition of an attenuator as being a limiting factor artistically or functionally - it's quite the opposite, IMO. An input attenuator is going to give you a much greater degree of control, and, as LDT mentions, when it's wide open it's pretty much like it wasn't there at all. True, you can patch in an attenuator, but that necessity makes it subject to patch inertia, a creeping disorder amongst old farts like me.

As for "pre-patching", the truth is most modules are pre-patched to fulfill a particular function. I don't say this as a bad thing, and the level of pre-patching is far below a semi-modular that can operate as a system without patching at all, but the truth is, many modules contain functions that are not accessible because they are hard-wired to perform a specific task.

My approach, to take advantage of the limited amount of space I have, is make a module as functional as possible without harming its main mission.

For example, filters generally have multiple inputs, both for audio and for CV. Internally these signals are mixed. When I am building a module, and if I have room, I will add patch points on the outputs of these mixers. The idea is, if you have enough filters, you're not going to be using the filter 100% of the time. Instead of lying fallow in the rack, the filter can still be used as a sub-mixer (one can never have enough mixers) for CV or audio. It's not the same as, say, an LPF that is wide open, because even then, the filter can still color the sound. Many filters are AC coupled and will not pass slow CVs at all - depending on the tap point, you can bypass the AC coupling. Even if the filter is being used in a patch, the signal, as mixed by that filter's mixer, can be side-chained down a different path, unaltered by the filter's action upon it. If you output the CV mixer section and audio mixer section, that makes it doubly useful.

Moreover, mixing circuits generally have an inverting output, so, if that's tapped, one can use that output as an inverter or inverting mixer.

All it takes, front panel-wise, is an extra output jack or two, and you've vastly improved the versatility of the module without harming its original function. If you've got room, you can even pre-patch an attenuator on a module as a stand-alone attenuator (easy enough unless one uses banana connectors - that would require a switch). Seems to me Modcan will still put an occasional stand-alone attenuator if there is room on a module. That's not what I'm talking about here - I'm talking about if you are using input one, input two, but not input three, you can just plug into input three and plug out of it to some other destination - the normalization prevents that rogue input from passing through the filter - you've got an available passive stand-alone attenuator for the price of a jack.

what Scott is doing is "the other way" to get a system small.
I do this things too. a little different , do some less and do some more.
thinking in terms of "modularity" can be really different. Several approaches possible.
one way is to see every function as a own block, another way is to "share" functions from modules as Scott mentiones,
and one more is to make functions "double".
Thats the newest i'm into.

the point in practising is the following:
If you *really* know patching you can patch everything also with halfbaken modules. ( edit: hmmm no, you can't patch everything......)
but if you don't, then you just won't do the same patches. Thats a fact and another point that counts.

coming back to the Discon:
I know this module is worth to get the extraspace wink . looking worward to get a Boardset or two soon.
Waveshapers are thankful objects for multiple CV inputs This is fun!
Two Halves
Tsssk. Take pity on my poor, battered wallet Sir.
Funky40
Hello,

never built the module, but like to do now.
I need to order parts and just can´t find any Infos on the oakley page about
how much That 340 and That 300 do i need for one Discon ?

parts guide has no numbers about how many are needed which i personally think is not really perfect.
in the build guide i couldn´t find the Thats at all.

I have a Issue 1 board,
can i operate after the Issue 2 build guide ?

( guess i lost all my oakley documents with my HD crash )

thanks
magman
I've not actually built one of these modules (yet), but from what I can see, this module doesnt't use any THAT chips at all.

By the way, you can find the manual for the Version 1 board in the legacy module area of the Oakley site - here:

http://www.oakleysound.com/legacy/Discontinuity%20issue%201%20User%20G uide.pdf

Good luck with your build and feel free to shout out if you have any more questions.

Regards

Magman
Funky40
much thanks !

i understand now:
there is a parts guide linked at the discontinuity page.
i thought its discon related d'oh! am on my old mouse, its scrolling to fast.
just saw something like that 300/340 but not how many parts are listed oops would be a huge PCB for all that parts lol
strange, i have in mind that i need That300/340 just for what ? can´t be oakley then
thebot
Spent some time playing with the Discontinuity tonight. What a sound! Wasn't in the mood for playing a keyboard tonight, so was mucking about with some random voltages from a Source of Uncertainty, with pitch going through a MFOS Quantizer into three VCOs, through the Transistor Super Ladder filter into a Lo Pass Gate fed by control voltages from some of the other random outputs of the SoU. But that wasn't quite strange enough ( lol ) so I patched the output of the filter into the Discon. Instant electricity!

I mostly play about with melodic stuff (well, try to anyway) but I always love the stuff that you hear in the Bananas forum here that just sounds like raw electricity. This module does that brilliantly. Still melodic, but just raw. Such a great sound.
magneticweb
i agree.

this module and i grow slowly together..i come to it every once and a while and when i do im always able to coax something new out. a staple, even if used sparingly.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1