MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

[IN STOCK] L-1 2180VCF Eurorack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author [IN STOCK] L-1 2180VCF Eurorack.
L-1
Detailed info on my site: http://l-1.su/2180VCF.html

I made THAT2180 based multimode VCF. Original design.Two chips used.
It works, sounds clean. Only I need now trim correct CV range. Q and cutoff are CV controllable, LP BP HP outs.
Will post news into this thread.

SlayerBadger!
msprigings
Awesome can't wait to hear more details.
NorthernLightX
Great news, now I know what to do with those spare THAT ICs... downside is my backlog just grew even larger smile
Peake
This should be good!
Emalot
L-1 you're a genius!
SMS303
Emalot wrote:
L-1 you're a genius!

ho ho..... Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were real genius'.....
L-1 fully understand THAT2180's and felt in love with them 8_) wink

Way to go Alex! thumbs up
Emalot
Ok, what i want to say it's more:
L-1 tu es génial!
L-1, you propose the best SDIY design this last time!

(Where did you buy your THAT2180?)
SMS303
Emalot wrote:
Ok, what i want to say it's more:
L-1 tu es génial!
L-1, you propose the best SDIY design this last time!

Mr. Green
hpsounds
eek! Wow!

Hédi K.
wavehead
what would this filter sound like... anything to compare it to?

it doesn't seem as if there are a lot of options for super precise, clean filters with big ranges (especially band-pass filters). would be awesome if something with the cutoff range, bandwidth and tracking of cwejman BP filters existed. L-1 I'm looking at you!
Synthbuilder
I've done this too. I think it was the SVF Issue 4 which first came into being when the CA3280 stopped being produced. Although I liked the sound of it I found the resonance hard to tame when the filter was oscillating - I put this down the insufficient gain matching between the two THAT devices. In the end I went back to the old LM13700. I do still use the THAT2180 in my one pole HP & LP VCFs on the noise module though.

Tony
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
How would a THAT2180 VCF be all that different from an SSM2164 VCF (of which I've designed and built a half dozen)?
wavehead
dave have you etched up a board for your SVF yet? that looks like a nice contender for a precise BP with nice tracking, etc.

the 2164 does seem like an under-utilized chip that works perfectly for a ton of different uses and I'm surprised to not see more circuits using it.
L-1
First sample. Not very accurate record sometimes overloaded. Will record better later.
I think I need to reduce Q range.
I feed EG to Q CV and LFO to cutoff CV.
Peake
Dr., all OTA filters sound different. I have a Mankato =and= I like the way the Roland 3109 and SSM2040 sound...all different in good ways.
Lutin
I like it! Sounds really pleasant and a bit quirky
frijitz
I tried making a VCO with the 2180. It wouldn't even come close to decent tracking. I can't imagine how a filter could possibly do so either.

Ian
L-1
This is simplified schematic. CV can be temperature compensated with two 2K tempcos.

L-1
I recorded traditional basic patch with this filter. Sounds promised.
L-1
This is the filter itself.

Peake
frijitz wrote:
I tried making a VCO with the 2180. It wouldn't even come close to decent tracking. I can't imagine how a filter could possibly do so either.

Ian

I have never, ever come close to even wondering if the Buchla 291 and 292 filters track or not. I just use them and have a blast.

seriously, i just don't get it
L-1
I didn't worked on tracking this filter yet. But THAT2180 has ideal exponential response. Will post the results.
Graham Hinton
L-1 wrote:
This is simplified schematic.

This is a twenty year old THAT application note and I did it at Solid State Logic ten years before that (with dbx 2150s).

How exactly are you claiming this to be an original circuit?
L-1
I used the materials of AES 13th international conference signed by Gary K. Herbert and Fred Floru. And calculated all components values from attached equations.
Peake
OTA designs using VCAs are as old as the one used in the EMU modular, or older; I'm not an expert. That doesn't matter.

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/93999/ETC/SSM2020/148/3/SSM2020. html

L-1, please enjoy yourself making circuits. Thank you for sharing them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7