MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FILTER
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FILTER
jamb
since getting into modulars a few months ago, i've been trying to get my hands on a wiard filter boogie or borg 2, but they are hard to come by. i've decided to look into an alternative... i read the very informative frac filters thread, but i was hoping maybe someone can offer a bit more insight into these two specific blacet filters: FINAL FILTRE AND FILTHY FILTER. If you had to go with one, which do you pick? i'd prefer something more aggressive, more korg sounding, so maybe "filthy" is the way to go.... does anyone of sound samples or videos of either of these filters in action?

Chugging Beers
e-grad
The Final Filtre is my favorite VCF! However, I'm not very much into typical synth sounds such as modulated filters.

The Final Filtre is great to shape an almost perfect sound and it makes an outstanding sound source itself. Blacet never has disappointed me with any of his modules.

IIRC there are a couple of reviews online at Analogue Heaven.
jamb
cool thanks, i will look for those reviews... the more i'm reading the more appealing filthy sounds, though i still have my sights set on a boogie. someone sell me one!

side note: generally speaking of filters, the VCF on my octave cat is one mean filter.
scozbor
Have never owned the filthy but regret selling my final filter. was a great sounding filter with super useful envelope. I liken the sound to my dual filter which I also really like the sound of, but no CV of course. Still its a great EQ of sorts.
werock
I can't find the exact thread(s), but I'm fairly sure Muff himself had some threads where he reviewed a lot of the Blacet modules including the filters. Could be quite a few pages back though...
Babaluma
my favourite two filters for frac were the boogie and the motm 1490 (moog modular style low pass), and i tried a LOT! both sounded great and had loads of cools features. i'd hold out for one of those. didn't like the filthy, although i never tried a final...
fluxmonkey
jamb,

i agree w/ you first thought... if you want something a little more agressive, the Filthy is the way to go. it's got some bite and character, but not so extreme that you couldn't use it as your only filter. would be a good complement to either of the wiard filters, if/when you can find one (they are so great, none of us that have 'em ever want to sell). another rare one to look out for is a mankato, but again good luck.

if you're willing to go DIY, there have been several runs of LPG printed circuit boards, and they are relatively easy builds. on the agressive side, the catgirl Synthacon (steiner inspired) is great, but a little more finicky to build.

agree w/ babaluma on the motm 1490 as a good plain vanilla filter (better than the final), but disagree abt the filthy. failing to find one fo the exotics, that pair (filthy/1490) give be a good complementary set.

b
Norman_Phay
Filthy is pretty great I think, nice and versatile, wide range of control (although narrower sweet spot as a result of this) Final I like but it is quite unusual sounding, there seems to be some kind of phase shift effect along with the filter at certain settings.
fluxmonkey
another option to think about: i wonder if the malekko versions of the borg/boogie would work on 15v? if so, you could probably buy one new and repackage it behind an FPD frac panel, cheaper than you could pick up an original frac version on the used market.

and just to add: i think personal subjective taste is more of a factor in picking filters than any other module. you just have to trust your own ears
dogoftears
try and find an MOTM 1490 like babz said. the blacet filters do leave something to be desired IMO.
i suppose you could also look out for the minijack version of the Bugbrand SVF.
plus any of the STG filters.
frac is weird for filters. but theyre out there.
synthcube
Seth nemec (ban analogue) did a nice Analog Metropolis 4075 clone in Frac, I think both full and a 'light' version. We are also working on a line of clone filters in frac and frac banana formats starting with the Analog Metropolis 4023 , in hopes of expanding frac filter options.
jamb
cool idea fluxmonkey, i'll look into it... i know those are made for 12v power, and i'd be a little nervous about testing on 15... i'll keep my eyes peeled for an motm 1490, they sound nice. emailed analog haven to see if they have any in stock. thanks y'all Chugging Beers
werock
synthcube wrote:
Seth nemec (ban analogue) did a nice Analog Metropolis 4075 clone in Frac, I think both full and a 'light' version. We are also working on a line of clone filters in frac and frac banana formats starting with the Analog Metropolis 4023 , in hopes of expanding frac filter options.

Cool! Be interesting to see what you come up with.
negativspace
Oh man, that 4023 is a screamer! I have one in my Euro, DIYd using one of Rob's boards. Really, really nice sounding module.
Norman_Phay
Depending on one's prelediction for DIY I doubt there's much available as a PCB/kit that won't fit behind a frac panel. See attached for an example - clearance on this is tight but it WILL fit in a frac rack:
Norman_Phay
Or this - DJ TW LPG
Norman_Phay
Or this - just ordered a variant on it - Oakley Synthesizers' "Superladder" this one not tried out yet!
jamb
synthcube wrote:

exciting! can't wait to see that 4023. thumbs up
chamomileshark
I'm not sure if you are looking for filthy the Boogie would suit you anyway - I find it very refined.
synthcube
This is SO NOT READY for prime time, because we are formally launching later in December along with the new website--- but here is a (very rough) photo of the 15V format AM4023 LPF . We are doing kits, assembled modules, PCBs, individual panels & parts for 1U&2U Frac and Frac Banana, a Buchla-esque one, 1U and 2U MOTM and a 2U dotcom (with dotcom panels by re:synthesis)

The MOTM 1U is done and tested; other mockups to be tested in the next couple of weeks.

Rob Keeble retains the rights to all his Euro versions of these modules. We have licensed the full range of his circuits for 15V formats.

Next after the AM4023 is 15V versions of the AM2140 ResFilter (SSM2220 and SSM2020 based) and the AM3320 VCF (CEM3320 based)
dogoftears
synthcube wrote:
This is SO NOT READY for prime time, because we are formally launching later in December along with the new website--- but here is a (very rough) photo of the 15V format AM4023 LPF . We are doing kits, assembled modules, PCBs, individual panels & parts for 1U&2U Frac and Frac Banana, a Buchla-esque one, 1U and 2U MOTM and a 2U dotcom (with dotcom panels by re:synthesis)

The MOTM 1U is done and tested; other mockups to be tested in the next couple of weeks.

Rob Keeble retains the rights to all his Euro versions of these modules. We have licensed the full range of his circuits for 15V formats.

Next after the AM4023 is 15V versions of the AM2140 ResFilter (SSM2220 and SSM2020 based) and the AM3320 VCF (CEM3320 based)

woah!!! new banana frac! the modular gods have smiled upon us.
please tell me this module will be shallow...
w00t w00t

ps- the knobs on the jack frac panels are personally not to my taste. i'll take blacet style rubber or davies any day.
synthcube
define 'shallow' meh

feedback noted about the knobs... still looking at options... original blacet style hard/impossible to come by but maybe davies
dogoftears
synthcube wrote:
define 'shallow' meh

feedback noted about the knobs... still looking at options... original blacet style hard/impossible to come by but maybe davies

davies are good.

shallow would be enough to fit in a bugbrand rack... those are like 3 inches.
really shallow would fit in a bugbrand shallow case... which i believe is closer to 1 inch.
e-grad
synthcube wrote:

I use Davies clones from Small Bear for (almost) all my DIY stuff. They are very reasonably priced and great looking.
jamb
dogoftears wrote:
synthcube wrote:
define 'shallow' meh

davies are good.

2nd the davies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2