MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hex Zone Arrived Today
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Hex Zone Arrived Today
Squibbons
Yay! My Blacet Hex Zone arrived today! I won't get to play with it until tonight, as I'm at work right now, but I pulled it outta the box and snapped some images real quick:

Kwote
beautiful!

i'm sure you'll be posting a demo soon. grin
Muff Wiggler
great pics, thanks! excited to read your impressions of this

looks like the size is just right for my plan of putting it into a small box....excellent

thanks for the pics 8)
Kwote
on another note John just sent out an email regarding modules on the horizon, which i'm sure you've all read by now.
J.w.M.
Kwote-- thanks for pointing me toward that note. I read it (and both of you and Muff's responses) and wrote John a too-long letter about my opinions and ideas about the future modules. You both said it basically right in your responses. The idea of a digital delay makes me drool, though... And a buffed-out miniwave is a great prospect for me (without any Wiard modules on the way or any expanders already in possession).

What are your thoughts on replacing a Mobius with the possible Blacet MIDI to CV and a Hex Zone (selling it to help fund the purchases of the other two, maybe)? I've never been 100% thrilled with the speed of programming sequences on my Mobius, but I've found the MIDI/cv to match my needs as of now. Any thoughts? How about the speed of programming a sequence on a Hex Zone as compared to a Mobius?

Oh-- good pictures, Squibbons. The statuette in the first picture caught my eye before I even noticed the Hex Zone wink
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
Kwote-- thanks for pointing me toward that note. I read it (and both of you and Muff's responses) and wrote John a too-long letter about my opinions and ideas about the future modules. You both said it basically right in your responses. The idea of a digital delay makes me drool, though... And a buffed-out miniwave is a great prospect for me (without any Wiard modules on the way or any expanders already in possession).

What are your thoughts on replacing a Mobius with the possible Blacet MIDI to CV and a Hex Zone (selling it to help fund the purchases of the other two, maybe)? I've never been 100% thrilled with the speed of programming sequences on my Mobius, but I've found the MIDI/cv to match my needs as of now. Any thoughts? How about the speed of programming a sequence on a Hex Zone as compared to a Mobius?

Oh-- good pictures, Squibbons. The statuette in the first picture caught my eye before I even noticed the Hex Zone wink

well i have no real opinion on the mobius. nathan kirchner(key hexzone designer) posted in the hexzone thread here that he did exactly what you're mentioning. sold off his mobius and let the hexzone take over.

me personally since getting into modulars have decided to go full tilt. there is very little on my gear list that isn't modular at the moment.

i need a recording interface, preamp, mixer, eq, compressor/limiter, amp and a mic or two. but those are all standard things any studio can benefit from.

when it comes to sound generation, effects and sequencing i'm all modular. full force no shame.

squibbons got it pimped with the rubix/hex shot. hawt to deaf son!
zerosum
I'm distracted by what looks like a chick in black with a wire hanging out of her butt lol
I'm still trying to figure out what that is, looks like an image on a screen, but the lower left hand corner looks like a window????
Squibbons
I only had about an hour or so to record anything last night, but right away this module is so easy to use and understand. I'm very pleased so far with the purchase. I can see this module getting a LOT of use in my setup. Editing feels really fast. I had some stumbling last night as I was constantly wanting a fast way to go to the previous step in edit mode( as there is a shortcut for going to the next step for editing ).

For some reason I was under the impression that the sixteen I/O plugs were themselves bidirectional and you both receive and send data through them. If this is the case, so far I've only figured out how to use them to receive data( as a sequential switch ) and everything is then outputted to the Switch Out depending on what switch is currently lit up. So for example, I can run a VCO into switch 3, and when switch 3 is stepped to, it will send that VCO to the switch out. You can do some cool stuff with setting both switch 3, 4, and 5 to output what's on switch 3, so as it travels down the line, the VCO would sound unbroken for those steps( and without having to plug the VCO into each of those steps ).

Anyway, here are some sound samples I threw together last night:

Blacet Hex Zone sequencing a bunch of random modules. Both CV Outs are run to two seperate VCO's. The gate out is run to an EG. The switch out goes to a VCA. Settings are tweaked on the fly. The skipping / pausing that happens at times is generated via piping an LFO into the Reset Input.
http://www.twango.com/media/Squibbons.public/Squibbons.10013

Blacet Hex Zone sending one CV Out to a VCO, which is then run through a VCA, Frequensteiner, and a Blacet Time Machine. Hex Zone Gate Out triggers an EG which controls the VCA.
http://www.twango.com/media/Squibbons.public/Squibbons.10014
Kwote
shit. why you gotta hit me with sound samps when i don't have audio. :(

can't wait to listen to these when i get home!! grin

thanks!
Squibbons
zerosum wrote:
I'm distracted by what looks like a chick in black with a wire hanging out of her butt lol
I'm still trying to figure out what that is, looks like an image on a screen, but the lower left hand corner looks like a window????

That's looking out my office window. We're on the 15th floor, and it was really foggy yesterday, so the white fog window was over-exposing the shot quite a bit. That chick is one of many anime cat-girl figurines/statuettes that I have an small obsession with collecting. I used the base she stands on to prevent the Rubik's Cube from sliding as it held the module up. =) Did a search for it on Flickr just now, here's a better picture of the same figure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nandn_cathouse/2258754575/
Kwote
Cat Girl Synth?
Kwote
Squibbons wrote:

Blacet Hex Zone sequencing a bunch of random modules. Both CV Outs are run to two seperate VCO's. The gate out is run to an EG. The switch out goes to a VCA. Settings are tweaked on the fly. The skipping / pausing that happens at times is generated via piping an LFO into the Reset Input.
http://www.twango.com/media/Squibbons.public/Squibbons.10013

ugghh! crank that high pitched part up, add some over the top reverb and you got the next Halloween soundtrack.

twisted
nathankirchner
J.w.M. wrote:
Kwote-- thanks for pointing me toward that note. I read it (and both of you and Muff's responses)

Where can I find these responses? I would be very interested to have a read.
tragedybysyntax
HMmmm... So I also have a Metalbox Sequential Switch... and a Mobius.

this seems ALOT like the mobius. Could someone break down what it can do or cant do over or under the mobius? I'd sure as fuck punt my mobius and get this baby... it would open up space and be sick stuffing a frac with a hex and the ss.

Thanks in advance guys.... This baby looks awesome.
Kwote
nathankirchner wrote:
J.w.M. wrote:
Kwote-- thanks for pointing me toward that note. I read it (and both of you and Muff's responses)

Where can I find these responses? I would be very interested to have a read.

it's on the latest editions of the Blacet yahoo group email list.

i might post it. just wasn't sure how public John wanted the new product ideas to be.
tragedybysyntax
wonder how cool this hexzone is when paired with a metalbox sequential switch....... trying to figure out how i want to spend my 400 bucks and I really need clock dividers and something else cool to lock up to the sequential switch since it's my only sequencer.
Kwote
i'm surprised you haven't got it already. if i were you i'd cop it and flip it if the results weren't to my liking.

i'd be on it if i wasn't so tied up in DIY right now. hopefully this summer i'll be able to grab one up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1