MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WIARD Joy Rider
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author WIARD Joy Rider
jamb
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/04/rare-wiard-1200-series-joy-rider-modu le.html

christ, this thing looks cool. anyone have one of these?
fluxmonkey
i lost that auction, not for lack of trying. guess i'll have to wait another 6 years for one to come up
mfirman
fluxmonkey wrote:
i lost that auction, not for lack of trying. guess i'll have to wait another 6 years for one to come up

Interesting. I have one of these and love it. It's sort of a secret weapon.
I'm surprised that you don't just make one Bob. It's really two Borg
(vactrol) style filters that you can put in series or parallel (with a
push-pull pot switch) and with the cut-offs controlled by the joy stick.
There is also a mod input and attenuator. Nice module for live stuff.
mfirman
Shit. I just looked at the auction. It was Grant that was selling it.
I used to own that one as well and traded it back to Grant for
something else (I thought two of them was a bit much). Funny world.
Ekofisk
I used to have one of these. I had Micheal Ford canibalize it and put it behind a new panel for me so I could access the two filters separately. I since sold it on to otoskope, who I believe still has it.

Kind of miss it in it's original form... great sound!
jamb
yeah i was thinking it looks like a pretty lethal live weapon... too bad there are so few!
Babaluma
two borgs, a jag and a joystick would get you 100% there and more though, right?
mfirman
Babaluma wrote:
two borgs, a jag and a joystick would get you 100% there and more though, right?

Probably don't need the jag. just two borgs and a joystick
with a multiple or two and a bunch of patch cords.
jamb
sadly frac borgs seem almost as rare, let alone finding two.
Norman_Phay
Yeah you don't need the JAG, joystick up was the fc of one filter, across the fc of another.
Babaluma
jamb wrote:
sadly frac borgs seem almost as rare, let alone finding two.

i had two jags, two joysticks, two borgs, and two boogies until last year!

lol
thetwlo
a JAG +Joystick would be a huge improvement. The Joyrider was cool, but without attenuators is was difficult to control. Of course it was amazing for what the $219 it was new... and he had a hard time selling the 11 that were made. seriously, i just don't get it
Moog$FooL$
i always wondered if his frac stuff would have sold more had he offered kits or even just panels & pcb's. hmmm.....

i know..... i know, he probably didn't want the service & question hassle with kits, but still.
mfirman
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
i always wondered if his frac stuff would have sold more had he offered kits or even just panels & pcb's. hmmm.....

i know..... i know, he probably didn't want the service & question hassle with kits, but still.

Well that is certainly part of why he never offered kits.

Recall that this stuff came out slightly before the really big
modular synth explosion. There was a lot of interest in analog
synths but modulars were still rather rare (there was Blacet just
picking up steam again, Paia, Serge and that was about it. and
Serge was pretty much out of most folks price range). Doepfer
was there but the interest was rather minimal at the time.
Now there are many boutique manufactures and Euro has become
the de facto standard for inexpensive solutions (like it or not).
His stuff was just a bit ahead of it's time.
chamomileshark
Interesting - I'd heard the name but didn't know what it was or that it had actually been made.
slow_riot
1200 modules pop up... I had a Borg for sale for a few months before it was sold. Just need to be sharp. Likewise Babaluma's system was up for a while at a good price before it was snapped up by a hungry wiggler. I foolishly had my 1200 New Controller up for sale for a while before I thought better of it.

Another option is that the 300 series is in production... pretty bargain prices considering the function that you get, the build quality and reliability etc. Lots of the prices are looked at as being magical back in the old days, but if you consider inflation and some other rising costs in manufacture, some of the stuff available now is not that divergent price wise.
fluxmonkey
[quote="mfirman]I'm surprised that you don't just make one Bob. It's really two Borg
(vactrol) style filters that you can put in series or parallel (with a
push-pull pot switch) and with the cut-offs controlled by the joy stick.
There is also a mod input and attenuator. Nice module for live stuff.[/quote]

hmmm... didn't have details on the configuration. is it a single modulation input atten to both filters? or normalled but seperable?
slow_riot
Babaluma wrote:

lol

and a noisering Goldfish
jamb
slow_riot wrote:
1200 modules pop up... I had a Borg for sale for a few months before it was sold. Just need to be sharp. Likewise Babaluma's system was up for a while at a good price before it was snapped up by a hungry wiggler. I foolishly had my 1200 New Controller up for sale for a while before I thought better of it.

Another option is that the 300 series is in production... pretty bargain prices considering the function that you get, the build quality and reliability etc. Lots of the prices are looked at as being magical back in the old days, but if you consider inflation and some other rising costs in manufacture, some of the stuff available now is not that divergent price wise.

300 series... i've been urged by a couple of other wigglers to go that route instead of trying to seek 1200. blue lust to cure the 1200 lust. 300 certainly looks pretty mind-boggling to me, err mind-woggling. i will likely head that route sometime next year, but i would like to complete my 6u frac system first. i saw a borg for sale on here the other day, but unfortunately it didn't even last 20 minutes. and i thought i was fast! spinning
there is something about that shade of blue though... the more you look at it... sad banana

any chance those things will stop being produced in the near future? certainly don't want to miss out and then have to deal with the stress of trying to find them all-- i thought i was done playing pokeman when i was 8. Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
slow_riot wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

lol

and a noisering Goldfish

wink

still miss a single boogie filter with a blacet super vca to process it's outputs with a load of blacet micro lfos and envs...
Babaluma
jamb wrote:
i thought i was done playing pokeman when i was 8. Guinness ftw!

just sell it all now, be done with it, and be FREE!!!

only joking... but that's actually what i did! twisted

will acquire wiard 300 or serge if i have to, at some stage in the future, but what i'm really dreaming of, and would definitely plunk the cash down on, would be a wiard self contained instrument...
Moog$FooL$
Baba... u are an inspiration to us all. thumbs up

here's an idea.... since wiard no longer makes Frac, perhaps Mr. Richter wouldn't mind sharing these "old" "outdated" & otherwise "designs that don't sell much" with us. razz razz eek!

u know..... in the spirit of sdiy!

(hides)
jamb
Babaluma wrote:
jamb wrote:
i thought i was done playing pokeman when i was 8. Guinness ftw!

just sell it all now, be done with it, and be FREE!!!

only joking... but that's actually what i did! twisted

will acquire wiard 300 or serge if i have to, at some stage in the future, but what i'm really dreaming of, and would definitely plunk the cash down on, would be a wiard self contained instrument...

no way i could sell all the frac i just bought! i might sell my dear, dear octave cat that i fixed and cleaned up to try and afford the 300 modules. maybe i'll sell what frac gear doesn't fit within my 6u system, but i have to do some experimenting first and see what all works best together. just posted a pic in the frac sticky, tell me what you think!

babaluma for some reason i thought you had some 300 gear.
dogoftears
hehe, i've been ditching euro and trying to recover the essential components in frac. i think i'm the one who snagged that Borg jamb, sorry! also got a Noisering! next step, boogie, since i already have a JAG.
jamb
dogoftears wrote:
hehe, i've been ditching euro and trying to recover the essential components in frac. i think i'm the one who snagged that Borg jamb, sorry! also got a Noisering! next step, boogie, since i already have a JAG.

ah! so it was you! and you got the noisering! man i just want one of those wiard filters, borg or boogie, i'd be so happy with either. i have one last slot in my 6u travel case just waiting for one. i'll race you to the boogie.. Checkered Flag scanner ended up convincing me on the time machine.

tell me if there is something you want for that borg! i did find a jag+joystick on here last week smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2