MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCB] Thomas Henry's 555-VCO, 2nd run! check PMs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next [all]
Author [PCB] Thomas Henry's 555-VCO, 2nd run! check PMs
fonik
[edit 31 may 2013]
interest in more of the PCBs/front panels?

i will gather/gain interest until 14 JUN 2013 and re-order what is needed...

for the front panels i would need to order at least 30pcs, though. the price for a single front panel would be 10.-EUR/13.-USD now.
[/edit]

i am taking orders until 19. JAN 2013, then i will order all PCBs and front panels. [edit 12 JAN 2013]

Thomas Henry recently developed and published four new circuits, and i got his permission to do PCBs for these.

I already did the LFO Controller, and the next in line is the 555-VCO.
Prototype PCBs are in and will get assembled soon.

here is the link to thomas' original post (schematics can be found there):
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54623

I think this is an intermediate project. Not that large, but some calibration is needed, a DC coupled scope would be helpful.
no obsolete parts are used (all you had to do was match the transistors of the expo, if needed for less drift of scale).

A lot of people already indicated interest or placed pre-orders in another thread, however, to keep things more traceable i decided to create this new thread dedicated tot he 555-VCO only.

more soon (pictures, prices, dates)

the VCO should be available end of january 2013.

there will be two PCBs for this project:
i will do an actual "circuit" board (providing MTA-100 connectors for all external connections), and an optional "eurorack" front panel components PCB for those who do nto want to do all the wiring.

and this time i will offer a frontpanel (top notch quality, the same process i use for my fonitronik production modules) - price TBA.
the front panel will be 16HP, giving you enough room for comfortable wiggling (note: you will NOT be able to talk me into 14HP).

so if you wanted to express your interest do it in a way that makes perectly clear what you want, i.e.
2x circuit PCB
1x eurorack PCB
1x front panel (depending on price)

the pricing of the PCBs:
7.-EUR/10.-USD each single PCB
+ shipping
international: 2.-EUR/3.-USD (1 PCB), 4.-EUR/6.-USD (2+ PCBs)
deutschland: 1.-EUR (1 PCB), 2.-EUR (2+ PCBs)

this is the same price as for the Thomas Henry LFO Controller, and i think this is a very reasonable price...

front panel sketch:

BUILDING NOTES

1)
in the original schematic of the VCO frmo thomas henry we three times a resistor R26, whereas R25 is missing completely.
so here are the values corresponding to the PCB labeling that are not covered correctly by the schematic/parts list:
R25 - 300k
R26 - 39k
R55 - 5.6k

2)
when powering from 12V:
R13 = 2k
R27 = 22k
R33 = 137k

3)
when you have a hard time finding a precision trimmer wit 25k, just use 50k. does the job as well.

4)
C4 is the timing cap. use a nice C0G/NP0 or a mica for better stability.

5)
Parts for the Control PCB
for the pots any vertical mounted 3-pin 9mm pot should do, i used alpha and alps (for the values needed refer to thomas' schematic).
for the jacks i used the PJ301-BM. there is a new high quality version available with berillium copper from
THONK (Europe)
or
ERTHENVAR (USA)

to connect the control board to the cicuit board you will need single row headers and receptables.

if you build the VCO w/o the eurorack frontpanel components PCB you will have to manually wiring it up, which is a very reliable and easy to service solution IMHO. here is a diagram showing how the MTA-100 headers refere to the components:

for troubleshooting it might be helpful to have the silkscreen:

nikmis
4 circuit pcbs please, no panels or panel pcbs. I missed out on the last run of X-4046 because of a paypal issue, but its not an issue anymore.
aladan
Put me down for 4 x circuit PCBs please!
pre55ure
2 x component pcb's
2 x eurorack pcb's
2 x frontpanels
regenbot
2x circuit PCB
2x eurorack PCB
2x front panel

EDITed to reflect my interest on panel too.
mikecameron
4x PCB
2x Euro PCB
2x Euro Panel

updated for panel.
demian
8 pcb's
4 euro rack pcbs
4 panels
Revok
At least 2 circuit pcb's depending on the price. Hopefully more!
thebot
2 for me please.

Edit to clarify - 2 main pcbs for me, cheers.
ashleym
With your usual keen pricing and great PCB quality this is a no brainer. Put me down for two please.

I am vering towards switched octaves in stead of coarse tuning. Does anyone else think this way or will I be measuring and switching on my own...???? seriously, i just don't get it
glitchpop
edit for clarity:

1 TH 555 VCO mega pack: (1 pcb, 1 euro pcb, 1 front panel)

please SlayerBadger!
aladan
ashleym wrote:
With your usual keen pricing and great PCB quality this is a no brainer. Put me down for two please.

I am vering towards switched octaves in stead of coarse tuning. Does anyone else think this way or will I be measuring and switching on my own...???? seriously, i just don't get it

I am leaning towards a fully modular approach, with a couple of Octave/Note CV generators planned that I can use on any oscillator. I'm completely with you in spirit though - the octave switches on my System-100m and Doepfer VCOs are very useful.
logicgate
2 for me, please!
ejr27233
2 main circuit PCB's for me please.
Pseudo
2 x circuit pcbs for me, please.
marvkaye
2 circuit PCBs only for me as well, please.

[edited for clarity]
Rigo
ashleym wrote:

There still is something like the Doepfer A-185-2 ...

On topic, if I manage to build the random looping sequencer kits I bought, maybe I might try to build a VCO as well. Though at the moment I'd prefer a kit, not having a shedload of common components at home.
Maybe I should look around for a basic package with components somewhere ...
fonik
i added some info to the first post.

as for the Thomas Henry Controller LFO there will be TWO boards:
one for the circuit, providing MTA-100 header footprints for all external connections,
and one for PCB mounted front panel components in eurorack format.

and then i will offer a front panel.

so if you indicate interest here, please state what exactly you want/need.
fonik
ashleym wrote:

i will not modify thomas circuit. i will offer PCBs just for his circuit design, and you will have to use his schematics to build this.
oberkorn
I'll take 2. thanks
dave_3283
4 PCBs only, bitte!
ringstone
4 circuit PCBs
4 panel PCBs
4 front panels

for me please.

Cheers
Blair
Boofin Moonrocks
I'd like 2 circuit boards only. Thanks!
Willzyx
Put me down for 6 circuit PCBs

Looks like 15-25 bucks in components pre VCO what a killer design!
knob_alchemist
Interested in 1 PCB, 1 front PCB, 1 front panel...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next [all]
Page 1 of 40