Buzzing Noise on Ekdahl Moisturizer

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Buzzing Noise on Ekdahl Moisturizer

Post by insomniyack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I was in the studio tonight and kept hearing this faint buzzing so I started muting everything and discovered it was the Moisturizer. I picked up the unit and tried turning it around in the air and when I tilt it certain ways the buzz gets quieter and louder.

What do I need to get to fix this problem? Do those hum eliminators work on something like this or are the springs picking up interference?

I tried switching between balanced cables and unbalanced. I took it to a different part of the room and still buzzes.

Is this just the nature of spring reverbs or do I have a problem here?

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 pm

flip your springs so that the pickup is on the left side.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:01 am

There is a lot of gain in the recovery amplifier of a spring reverb unit. Any interference in the air can be demodulated in your wiring, spring or circuitry and at that point, it is a signal like any other.

Does the noise go away when you disconnect the input from the device? If so, look at your signal chain pre-Moisturizer. If not, then it is more than likely in the Moisturizer. You may have to relocate it.

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insomniyack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Ok I did find a part on the wire going to the spring tank that is bent and you can actually see the wire going through. I think this is the cause so I emailed Karl and he is sending me a new spring tank so hopefully this will fix it. I really love the sound it produces (minus the buzzing of course) and the price is nice for a new real spring reverb unit with an analog filter!

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insomniyack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am

Ok this unit is prone to too much interference for my needs...

What else out there sounds like this as far as JUST pure spring reverb? It does have a very rich and full sound and what else would give this to me?

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”