MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ring Modulator pedals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Ring Modulator pedals?
AntManBee
I'd like an analogue ring modulator pedal - although I've been processing my guitar through my euro modular I'd like a stand-alone pedal.

Are there any good RM pedals out there for guitars? I had a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer when I was a kid in the late 1970s (they made a series of great, cheap little boxes that plugged straight into your guitar - I had a few but can't remember the others) which I really liked but the originals are now impossible to find and I don't know how good the modern reissues are.

I guess the other option might be for me to get a clone made of the Green Ringer by some clever DIY type.
dkcg
A few modulation pedals can go audio rate, and get amplitude modulation.
Whetstone phaser for example.

Fuzz can sound ringmod/octave like depending on the pedal and how the signal is.

The closest thing to a ringmod pedal I have is the Death By Audio Octave Clang. not quite ringmod, but can sound like somewhere between fuzz and octave and ringmod.

EH makes quite a few.
speak_onion
The Green Ringer circuit is dead easy to build and readily available on the internet.

Wait, here's a kit: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/22-octave/131-green-ringe r

If you can operate a soldering iron, you can have a green ringer pedal.

Also, Moog ring mod pedal is a ring mod pedal.
studio1dk
there is also the moogerfooger ring mod: MF-102
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/moogerfoogers/mf-102-ring-modulator

Keld
AntManBee
speak_onion wrote:
The Green Ringer circuit is dead easy to build and readily available on the internet.

Wait, here's a kit: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/22-octave/131-green-ringe r

If you can operate a soldering iron, you can have a green ringer pedal.

That's great - thanks! If I can get the fucking General Guitar Gadgets website to work without defaulting to a US State and clearing all the fileds in the order form when I try to enter a UK address I'll buy a kit.
indexofmetals
lovetone ring stinger (pricey but lots to tweak), fairfield circuitry randy's revenge (reasonable) and frostwave did one too (more affordable).

I've had the best results with the randy's revenge for guitar. This song features two tracks of guitar with randy's revenge and teaspoon cas.

[bctrack]3305598960[/bctrack]
3vcos
I can't belive I ever sold my RingStinger. Fuck I loved that pedal. Highly recommended as a favorite.

That said, the Snarling Dog Mold Spore is pretty fucking awesome. I won't be selling this one. I have the Moog ringmod to and the Mold Spore sounds more lively and out of control than the Moog.

I also happen to own Beaver and Krause's Maestro Ring Modulator. It may even sound better than the RingStinger (but without the extras).
Popski
Way huge ringworm seems pretty bad ass as well..

I've got the mooger fooger and quite like it
richard
i love the Moogerfooger

Studio Electronics make a Modmax rinmod pedal too which should be well worth it, I had the other two in the same series - fantastic
Suburban Bather
Electro Harmonix still makes the frequency analyzer, which was used by Devo. I never tried it though. I enjoyed the moogerfooger ringmod. Sold it due to eurocrack gas, I miss it and will pick another one up in the future.
dkcg
just remembered one, the pigtronix mothership has a ringmod that tracks the input, but i haven't tried one.

frostwave blue ringer, if you can find a used one.

i use the buchla freq shifter/balanced mod all the time too, but havent tried in the pedal chain.
skipperdean
+1 mf-102
blt
Suburban Bather wrote:
Electro Harmonix still makes the frequency analyzer, which was used by Devo. I never tried it though. I enjoyed the moogerfooger ringmod. Sold it due to eurocrack gas, I miss it and will pick another one up in the future.

I've got one of the big box EHX Frequency Analyzers and it's fantastic for a barebones ring mod. There is also an easy CV in mod you can do to it, if you want to integrate into the modular. It's also made me yearn for a more versatile ring mod like the moog, but for a barebones ring mod pedal it's hard to beat. Sweet atonal bliss.
studio1dk
For real bare bone ring mod - you might need a pre amp - you might try:
http://nervoussquirrel.com/ringmodulators.html
I got one and it is real badass distorted. Real passive germanium diode analog ringmod.
Edit: there is no vco/lfo so you need an oscillator for the carrier input.

Keld
Cymatics
skipperdean wrote:
+1 mf-102

+1 for the Moog, for the reasons above. I'll never get rid of mine.
MindMachine
The discontinued Frostwave Blue Ringer was my favorite RM pedal - and one of the best RM I ever heard. It has cv control. Big City has their old demo pedal on sale for only USD $450.00. Hooray.

We used to have an old Oberheim designed Maestro RM pedal (huge thing) that sounded pretty good.
steamroom
have the mooger which is of course good, but i use the ehx ring thing far far more. stereo out of seperate lower and higher combination tones, now that is rocking...
VauxFlores
I've been building this guy for a second now -

http://vauxflores.com/electronics/number-23/

Like the Green Ringer, its circuitry is more fuzz/octave based than a traditional carrier/modulator ring-modulator, but for strange/metallic timbres, atonal harmonics and general sonic wackiness, it gets the job done.

From an electronics perspective, I used 2n5306 darlington transistors in this build, as well as a couple other projects and find that they typically instill a certain ring-mod quality to whatever I throw them into. Not exactly sure why, but figured I'd share for the sake of diy/ring-mod/fuzz dialogue. Looking at the schematics of the Green Ringer, as well as a couple other ring-fuzzes, it seems that 2n5089's are a common transistor for at least a couple guilty parties. I've yet to use them in a personal build, but I'll report my findings once I do – curious to see how they compare.

Ala traditional, passive, ring mods, I experimented with a couple builds a few years back. My first attempt used silicon diodes – massive drop in volume and only worked backwards – splitting the sound into two “bit-reduced” signals – it was interesting, but functionally useless due to the amount of gain you had to pump into the box just to carry the signal. My second used germanium diodes (1n34's) and the carrier and modulator were paired with resonant filters to help dial in the crunch – much more successful, but gain was still an issue. I ended up using it to modulate tins of amplified earthworms in an attempt to coax imagery out of slow-scan radio imaging software - examples here: http://vauxflores.com/artists/travis-johns/compositions/bioprinting-i/ - considering the experimental nature of the project, sonic fidelity was kind of a non-issue, but if I ever decide to build another, I'd probably add a quad op-amp to the mix, if only to tone down the cable hum.
Spiked Lunch
Burford electronics (uk based) do a reasonably priced ring mod - I had one for several years and even modded it for expression pedal. Not the most fully featured ring mod but I really liked it.

I've only ordered from general guitar gadgets once but I received it pretty quickly and didn't have to pay any import/tax :-)
VauxFlores
Just remembered this outfit from the Dominican Republic:

http://www.copilotfx.com/products.html

Haven't tried any of these wares myself, but always down to help disseminate electronics from the Latin sphere.
de_raaf
finally undusted my snarling dogs mold spore wah
first the ringmod didn't work, luckly blowing some dust helped so it works again
mine has several mods, like resonace for the wah, a fuzz (i redirected it so it goes into the wah (i like it that way), also has some bitcrush like (sounds more computer like) switch for the ringmod. sounds awesome with the modular

reading this thread made me go back to it
scozbor
necro-resurrection zombie

Whats going on with ring mod pedals these days? I'm on the hunt...
Smaller is better, more features is better!

Anyone using the pigtronix ringmaster?

Moogoerfooger - too big
minifooger - a bit limited
ring thing - a bit big
Rex Coil 7
EHX Ring Thing. I've got two of them. Absolutely the lord of the rings.

thumbs up hihi
scozbor
EHX ring thing is a little too big. Can you verify that it only does the auto-tune thing per note when you hold down the footswitch?

The pigtronix appears to always auto-tune the carrier to the input (unless I'm mistaken?).

The pigtronix also appears to be the only other ring mod pedal which approaches the moogerfooger in terms of connectivity - particularly the CV output...
megamaeng
Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge sounds amazing and has cv inputs. No auto pitch tracking though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3