MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommendation on switches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Recommendation on switches
tony d
I am wondering if anyone can help me out w/ suggestions on spst toggle switches?
I am building the klee which calls for quite a few so i would like to keep it reasonably priced but not have to replace them any time soon either.
I found these on jameco http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId= -1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=76523&
Does anyone have any experience or feedback on these ? These are about the cheapest i have found between mouser/digikey/jameco
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tony
fluxmonkey
i use these for some things, they are cheap in both senses of the word. since the switches are really the main interface point for the klee and will get heavy usage, and because that thing is a bear to wire in the first place, i'd bite the bullet and spring for the NKK switches... this is one place i wouldn't cut corners.

b
sduck
I agree!

I used nkk ones in mine - I wanted to get the bat handle ones that would match all the other switches in my motm based system, but getting them in the required quantities would have cost some 35$ extra, so I went with the cheaper ones.

mouser bat handle number - 633-M201202-RO

Mouser also has a nkk knock off brand - mountain I think they're called. I've used them once, and they seemed pretty nice, and they're considerably cheaper than the nkk's.
tony d
Thanks guys.
I just came across the mountain brand that mouser offers, was gonna try and get some opinions on that.
I have little experience w/ switches so i don't know exactly what makes a quality switch ?
I know i'm gonna have to spend a little loot on this part but x 32 just makes it hurt !!
Thanks again flux and sduck.
bubblesound
i like these a lot
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MTS-4PC/SPDT-ON-ON-MIN I-TOGGLE-SWITCH/-/1.html
i've soldered hundreds of them and they're really good value for the money.
Luka
i bought a few hundred switches from HKSS on ebay the shop partspipe
with the price of these things it is easy to swap any over that are duds
i just given them all a continuity check when i before i put them into my panels to check they are ok
Junk Rhythm
bubblesound wrote:
i like these a lot
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MTS-4PC/SPDT-ON-ON-MIN I-TOGGLE-SWITCH/-/1.html
i've soldered hundreds of them and they're really good value for the money.

Thanks for sharing the link. Really great price.
fonik
i used APEM. never have had any issues for the last 5 years (and that's a NEVER EVER for me, since i started DIY just back then).
zthee
I use NKK M2012SS1W01.
Pricey. But they're so nice it's worth it.
Scott Stites
I would definitely avoid the Jameco switches. I used Mountain switches on my Klee.

The most critical switches are the two momentary switches. Make sure you get a good quality switch for those. The Jameco cheap momentary switches are simply the worst for this application. I used a Mountain switch there.

I'm sure the other recommendations here will work as well. Just avoid the Jamecos. Not bagging on Jameco (I like'em) but those switches....eh.
Funky40
fonik wrote:
i used APEM. never have had any issues for the last 5 years (and that's a NEVER EVER for me, since i started DIY just back then).

I use APEM too now on everything.
they have an axle for the switch.
best Value for money IMHO

fonik, where doyou get yours ? and for how much ?

i pay 3.50 CHF for 1UM on-on, 4.50 ( or 4.90 ) for 2UM on-on. all CHF
tony d
Thank you guys very much for all the info so far.
paults
Mountain = TOTAL CRAP.

NKK = best "commercial grade" toggle switch out there. Over 14,000 used in MOTM modules with 1 failure, and I suspect the end user whacked it.

Of course, I *always* use the best parts I can find. But that's just me SlayerBadger!
fonik
i got my APEM from rs-components. however i will have to correct myself: i used MIYAMA (Japan) switches a lot, since they are very cheap. no failure until now. i used them on the klee too.
Randaleem
paults wrote:
Mountain = TOTAL CRAP.

Hi,

Paul beat me to it! I was going to say "Mountain switches are *variable* quality at best. But Paul's comment pretty much dispenses with PC and gets to the heart of the matter!

I've been burned enough times by various styles of Mouser's mountain brand switches that I'll avoid them in all types at this point! (Means more than just the mini toggles are *variable* quality in my experience...)

I can also vouch for APEM, never had a problem with any of several styles of those, but I've not used them in the mini toggle style being discussed here.

I'm in agreement that a Klee is not the module to skimp on switches for!

Kind regards, Randal
Scott Stites
My Klee is entirely Mountain, except for the rotary range switch - I used an NKK for that, because it was small and I do like NKKs. It's had two years of extremely heavy use, and it's been just fine. In fact, I've used Mountain switches for years and have not had a bad one. I guess I'm one lucky SOB.

My employer makes test equipment, and uses NKK. I personally cannot afford them. If I build another Klee, I'll use Mountain again.
daverj
I bought a couple hundred Mountain mini toggle switches in the late 80s or early 90s. After a few ended up going bad within days of installing them I started testing the rest of the bags. I ended up throwing away the entire pile and swore to never buy Mountain again.
fonik
so they maybe got aware of a quality issue and changed something!?
Scott Stites
Quote:

Maybe so, and they unloaded them on Jameco; that was exactly the experience I had with those switches. I've been OK with the Mountains.
daverj
fonik wrote:

Possibly.

If they had kept producing them with the quality I saw, they'd have been out of business by now.

I didn't buy anything from Mouser for maybe a year after that, and still avoid their house brands.
consumed
as the klee took me awhile to build i decided on NKK switches so my klee would have a long life with little/no repair. im pretty much sold on NKK switches and try to use them in most of my builds. its not just the brand name--the mechanical action feels great.

i replaced my model 9 switches with NKKs--its got a whole new life now.
Randaleem
daverj wrote:
I bought a couple hundred Mountain mini toggle switches in the late 80s or early 90s. <snip> and swore to never buy Mountain again.

Hi Daverj, Yes. That mirrors my experience(s), but the first in early/mid 90's was submini lever arm roller switches, the second was DPDT mini toggles in 2001 (tried again in 2003), the last was mini toggles other than DPDT in 2007. These were the major orders, smaller orders in between led to my original statement that they were "variable at best". Too many times to risk it again... The John Ruskin quote which used to be on the wall at Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream shops applies: http://www.iwise.com/wZgGs
Kind regards, Randal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1