MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

303 VCO pcb's..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 303 VCO pcb's..
revtor
This might be cool for some DIY VCO's.. if he'd sell you some boards?

I see a +12v connection, CV in TP (trigger pulse?) output.. looks like w/some basic cv and power interfacing you'd be set.

http://www.beepworld.de/members52/accenter/vco2_mod.htm

~Steve
Luka
cool

the 303 vco needs some pretty funky cv reference
it might be a task to get it integrated into a euro rack
zthee
Luka, you mean the 5.333V ref? That's only for the transistor ladder - so the scaling is right from the sequencer..
bananeurysm
is there info about this board anywhere in english?

i googled around but only found references to a mega expensive x0x mod kit that includes it... there must be single pcb's or at least layouts somewhere?
revtor
well, there are 303 schems out there for sure. .
DGTom
would it really be worth it? I mean, is the 303 VCO that distinctive it warrants the bother?
revtor
worht it? -Not to me! But we have clones of all sorts of things, why not a 303 vco..
cloning the synth parts of the 303 and putting them in a modular setting (patch points all over) and then getting a 303 style sequencer, (also modularized) would be a fun rig.
DGTom
303 sequencer in a module would kick ass!
wetterberg
DGTom wrote:
SHUN!!!1!!

The 303 sequencer is a garbled POS and it should never have been let out of the asylum.

If I want to do lame random-acid sequences my sequencers usually have "random" buttons that take me there.
Soapbox
suitandtieguy
wetterberg wrote:
If I want to do lame random-acid sequences my sequencers usually have "random" buttons that take me there.
Soapbox

what about the x0xb0x?
DGTom
wetterberg wrote:
DGTom wrote:
SHUN!!!1!!

lol

sometimes shit thats wrong is right, the x0xb0x is a 'fixed' 303 seq. isn't it?

I'm not saying anyone should invest any actual R&D into making a seq303 for euro or anything... tho it would be more usefull than a TB VCO.
Luka
xoxbox seq is fantastic
wetterberg
DGTom wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
DGTom wrote:
SHUN!!!1!!

lol

sometimes shit thats wrong is right, the x0xb0x is a 'fixed' 303 seq. isn't it?
that's my understanding too. I was referring to the original crypto-turd that is the original.
DGTom
mc202 sequencer for euro! w00t
de_engineered
I asked the guy if he was gonna sell boards, and he said yes, by way of complete kits, at 50 Euro a pop.

I hear the way the 303 VCO works is kinda relevant to the sound, like the square wave actually is the saw mixed with an inverted version of itself, giving the square some 'horns' if you look at it on a 'scope, buuuut... That ain't worth 50 Euros to me, especially when that translates to almost $75 US (as of today, Sept. 14, '09), and that doesn't even seem to include S&H. YMMV.

A standalone x0x-style sequencer would be the sex. I remember seeing a Flickr a while back where someone had bought a x0x board, and carefully sawed off the seq part of the circuit, and presumably went from there with it.

Because the x0x is open source, anyone could rip the pertinent circuitry from the Eagle file (available on ladyada's site) and make a board... Though, how much of the x0x is important for the sequencer? Is it the raw CV out, the slide, the envelope circuitry? The latter starts getting into those hard-to-get parts, for which the rest of the x0x project is being eschewed after all.

Thoughts, opinions...?
bananeurysm
Yeah.... I'm just building a x0x to put next to my modular. I don't really see much benefit to cutting it into pieces and repackaging parts of it.

The best thing about that little vco board is probably just that you can add a 2nd vco to the x0x per his intention. I don't think I'd bother making a module out of it. But the dual-voice x0x thing would be fun - 50 euros is too much though.

Having just built the vco portion of my x0x mainboard I can say it's a pretty small circuit/low part count - i wonder how tough it would be to just lift out the vco circuit from Limor's eagle files and diy a vco board similar to what's in that kit. (I believe there are some other kits floating around that add a 2nd vco as well)
DGTom
with the x0x right there would it be very hard to just build an extra voice card on abit of proto-board?

A two VCO 303 would be cool especially with 2 seperate outs going thru to seperate distortion / delay chains - stereo acid!!
Soy Sos
My first experience with a 303 was a few months ago. A friend lent me her 303.
I spent a little time messing around with it, found the sequencer totally counter-intuitive. The sound, I get it, but I can do way cool similar stuff with my modular. I haven't used it since. Most of the old school acid and techno guys say that they didn't know what the hell they were doing and got some cool stuff sort of by accident. Meh.............
Muff Wiggler
Obtuse and unpredictable sequencers ftw.
DGTom
+1

lol

I'm sure people can get great guitar tones with modern 6 strings, but, those iconic classics are still coveted by all & sundry.

The 303 occupies the exact same space in the Disco world.
bananeurysm
DGTom wrote:
with the x0x right there would it be very hard to just build an extra voice card on abit of proto-board?

That's an excellent idea... if I get brave enough to attempt I'll certainly post my findings!
Tim Stinchcombe
zthee wrote:
Luka, you mean the 5.333V ref? That's only for the transistor ladder - so the scaling is right from the sequencer..
The 303 VCO references the 5.33V line in several places, so yes, the 5.33 rail would be needed - from the photo in the OPs link, it looks like the top connection to the board, labelled '5,3'. I doubt it is that critical though - I'm guessing you could get away with a simple 5V regulator, and 'tune out' any difference with the two presets in the circuit.

Tim
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1