MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FoH Delay...lay...lay..lay..ay...ay...y...???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author FoH Delay...lay...lay..lay..ay...ay...y...???
Soy Sos
Hey Mood Organ,
I wouldn't sweat the DIY thing too much. The Barebones kits are really easy to put together. Aside from the panel and graphics, I put my Plague Bearers together in an hour. If Flight can't get down with running 2 formats for his stuff I can respect that. More important to get this thing out.
Uncopyrightable
+1 to Want! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Roycie Roller
Mood Organ wrote:

Flight, glad you like the "octave" idea. I use it quite a bit with Time Machines and the Moog delay and I think it's totally useful.

I agree, it's a great feature, which you can 'play' with very musical results, especially switching between longer delay settings. It makes the delay repeats melodic as if playing chords.
Mood Organ
Roycie Roller wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

Flight, glad you like the "octave" idea. I use it quite a bit with Time Machines and the Moog delay and I think it's totally useful.

I agree, it's a great feature, which you can 'play' with very musical results, especially switching between longer delay settings. It makes the delay repeats melodic as if playing chords.

Exactly... it preserves harmonic relationships pretty well. Great fun in feedback loops.

PS perhaps I overestimate the time commitment in DIY from kits? Having never made one? My soldering skills are rudimentary seriously, i just don't get it
DGTom
Flights barebones kits are dead easy. The pcbs come totally built, tested, working, you could get some wire & croc clips & use em as is, not something I would suggest tho!

Basially all you have to do is wire up the front panel connections & the power cable & BAM! Flight Of Harmony Y'all git a taste of the bitch puddin!

Making the panel is the hardest / longest part, but easily done, if you know someone with access to a workshop they could do this in a matter of minutes, Flight provides awesome documentation.
neandrewthal
I want 3 screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo But, I probably only have room for 2 evil
Henfield
Please keep the +/- 15V and a blacet power connector!! I would like to get a barebones kit and put into a 5U panel to add to my dotcom setup!

Thanks,

Henfield.......................
flight
@ Henfield: Yup, don't worry. A 5x2 IDC connector just doesn't go with the Barebones concept. The 0.156" MTA 4-pin is much better.

@ Everyone: I took a step back and thought about it, and I think it's heading back into feature-creep territory - and over 18hp. The extras are cool, but I hate having to put off releasing a module in the hopes of figuring out how to do a particular extra. So I'm gonna enact something I've been thinking of for a while (don't panic, keep reading): The module will have the basic functions that I feel it needs to have. This will keep both size and cost down, which is very important in my eyes. BUT, after getting the basic unit down the road to production, I will start work on an expansion module that will have the goodies and only require plugging in a ribbon cable or two behind the panel. I've been wanting to do this because I always find something a couple months down the line that I'd love to add to a module, but this is both a PIA and very unfair to early adopters, who will always feel screwed in some way.
panda30y
flight wrote:
@ Henfield: Yup, don't worry. A 5x2 IDC connector just doesn't go with the Barebones concept. The 0.156" MTA 4-pin is much better.

@ Everyone: I took a step back and thought about it, and I think it's heading back into feature-creep territory - and over 18hp. The extras are cool, but I hate having to put off releasing a module in the hopes of figuring out how to do a particular extra. So I'm gonna enact something I've been thinking of for a while (don't panic, keep reading): The module will have the basic functions that I feel it needs to have. This will keep both size and cost down, which is very important in my eyes. BUT, after getting the basic unit down the road to production, I will start work on an expansion module that will have the goodies and only require plugging in a ribbon cable or two behind the panel. I've been wanting to do this because I always find something a couple months down the line that I'd love to add to a module, but this is both a PIA and very unfair to early adopters, who will always feel screwed in some way.

Sounds great! thumbs up
Soy Sos
That is actually a perfect idea.
I'm completely behind that, you should really stick to that no matter the outside pressure. It's a wonder anyone gets anything done sometimes.
DGTom
+1 for expansion modules!! w00t
a100user
Another +1 for expansion modules.

Harvestman, Livewire and Doepfer all do it and it allows punters to spend as much or as little depending on the functionality required.
suitandtieguy
am i the only person who sees this thread title and thinks:

"yeah, i always want a delay unit in the front-of-house effects rack when i go to mix a show. what's the debate about?"

anyway, yeah this looks like a great product. good going.
Exuviae
Will the expansion module require its own power slot from a distro board, or will it plug into the base unit and draw from there?
Soy Sos
Oh, just a thought to be fair to everyone including yourself Flight.
How about:
Selling the early version for xx.xx dollars.
The expansion for zz.zz dollars.
The newly updated version with the expanded features for xx.xx plus zz.zz dollars.
Obviously once you've added the new features you don't make the original any more but make enough expansion modules to cover for the amount of original modules sold.

Oh yeah, funny, Front of House. Especially when mixing that Reggae band!
flight
suitandtieguy wrote:
am i the only person who sees this thread title and thinks:

"yeah, i always want a delay unit in the front-of-house effects rack when i go to mix a show. what's the debate about?"

anyway, yeah this looks like a great product. good going.

I've gotta comment on this, I'll get to the rest in a bit:

FoH in the FOH?

I always thought the coincidence was amusing...
flight
Exuviae wrote:
Will the expansion module require its own power slot from a distro board, or will it plug into the base unit and draw from there?

Good question, thanks for bringing that to my attention. It will draw power from the main unit.
Soy Sos wrote:

Oh, just a thought to be fair to everyone including yourself Flight.
How about:
Selling the early version for xx.xx dollars.
The expansion for zz.zz dollars.
The newly updated version with the expanded features for xx.xx plus zz.zz dollars.
Obviously once you've added the new features you don't make the original any more but make enough expansion modules to cover for the amount of original modules sold.

Nah, the other attractive feature of a basic module with optional expansion unit is that I make one module for two price brackets. If I disco the base unit in favor of a complete module, then it will be a mid-budget item instead of two low-budget items. And dealers have already made it clear that they don't like to stock multiple versions of one item.
It would also add another design stage to the product, with attendant hassles.
Soy Sos
Totally cool with me, it makes sense.
Count me in for 2 plus expansions.
Funny, this is the most amped I've been about a new module in a while.
You'll get some crazy assed demos from me too.
tragedybysyntax
2 plus expansion for this guy! smile
Soy Sos
Hey Flight, any possibility of audio samples for the salivating masses?
aetherpulse
Yes, audio please...
flight
I'll try as soon as the prototype is built (Just finished the layout of the main board, starting on the interface board today). I had some equipment troubles a few days ago so recording audio has become... problematic.

But there will be samples soon!
aetherpulse
Equipment trouble sucks. I haven't been able to record on anything but an old four track for a couple of years...
johnnymad
flight wrote:
I'll try as soon as the prototype is built (Just finished the layout of the main board, starting on the interface board today). I had some equipment troubles a few days ago so recording audio has become... problematic.

But there will be samples soon!

w00t
transferpoint
it would be very cool to have two of them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 3 of 12