MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My DIY Plan
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author My DIY Plan
Waz
When I purchased my eurorack system I never expected I'd enjoy the DIY route. With that said I am going to complete my 6u Eurorack and move onto a more DIY friendly format. I am completing my euro system with as many DIY modules as I can. Steiner, VCS, Dual Plague Bearers, whatever else I can find.

Is frac one of the best DIY formats? Would I be able to make any CGS module in frac? Do any of you have any guidance for me?

Thanks
Junk Rhythm
You could make CGS in Frac but the boards are 6" long. Unless you have a deep rack they can be a hassle to mount.
panda30y
Junk Rhythm wrote:
You could make CGS in Frac but the boards are 6" long. Unless you have a deep rack they can be a hassle to mount.

Blacet and Paia racks are deep enough to fit 6" CGS boards. Frac is a good format, as alot of DIY stuff is made for large .com formats, and typically are designed for +/- 15v, and with a blacet rack it is deep enough to fit most of the boards.

Blacet and metalbox both also offer kits to build.
scozbor
GO FRAC!!

DIY can be surprisingly cheap once you get into it.

no need to limit yourself to cgs. check out MOTM, oakley, MFOS, yusynth etc etc etc
Theres also loads of stuff at bridechamber to build!!
wetterberg
I'm doing a whole ton of DIY for euro, including CGS wink My rationale behind euro is that I will be able to mix up diy and store-bought within each row if everything is the same format. Oh, and I hate that frac has to be these specific widths - the euro HP thing is much more flexible for me.

Anyway, the trick with the longer cgs boards is to mount the pcbs horizontally, parallel to the front panel. You get nice, wide modules that way, but then the plan here is to do multiples of each module behind one panel.

euro-rack is a good platform for diy... if in doubt, ask Fonik! thumbs up

IF you *have* to go with a different format I'd say Serge-a-like. That is what the cgs boards are designed for, after all.
Waz
wetterberg wrote:
I'm doing a whole ton of DIY for euro, including CGS wink My rationale behind euro is that I will be able to mix up diy and store-bought within each row if everything is the same format. Oh, and I hate that frac has to be these specific widths - the euro HP thing is much more flexible for me.

Anyway, the trick with the longer cgs boards is to mount the pcbs horizontally, parallel to the front panel. You get nice, wide modules that way, but then the plan here is to do multiples of each module behind one panel.

euro-rack is a good platform for diy... if in doubt, ask Fonik! thumbs up

IF you *have* to go with a different format I'd say Serge-a-like. That is what the cgs boards are designed for, after all.

I'm looking into something more cost effective. There aren't that many DIY projects for euro or 12v systems for that matter. CGS says that most his boards will work under 12 volts, but I need an extra large case for them. I dont want to drop another 2-300$ on a new 6u eurorack.

My budget wont be able to handle the sergelike panels. They look awesome, and Ill probably build them in the future. I need something I can buy in increments on a lower budget.
Roycie Roller
Some of the CGS pcb's are small, and can be mounted parallel to the faceplate. One option with the 6" boards is to mount them to something off the faceplate eg. the bottom of the rack.
But seriously, the best thing about DIY is you can make your own format.
Racks are dirt cheap, even free, depending on the materials you use.
valis
Roycie Roller wrote:

Racks are dirt cheap, even free, depending on the materials you use.

Agreed. Additionally, power supplies are cheap enough so there's really no reason not to get a +/-15v PSU, especially if you wait around until you can find one for really cheap. At that point, you can build slowly, if you want, and to whatever aesthetic you choose..
DGTom
Roycie Roller wrote:

This is true, but if you go for something totally non-standard it does mean you can't add any of the proven, bulletproof kits like Blacet unless you ditch the panels which is abit of a waste.

Im the total oppisite of wetterberg, the thing I love, LOVE love Lotsa Love about frac is the fixed panel widths... I mean you end up at the same point with euro anyway 8 & 16 hp are by far the most comman sizes yeah? Euro ends up abit of mess to my eyes. A very personal viewpoint of course.

The great thing about frac is it is very, very easy to DIY rails! Get some 19mm by 19mm (or even 9mm by 9mm depending on how you want to mount them) aluminium angle &/or T section from the hardware store, dead easy to source & work with, you'll only need hand-tools, cut two lengths, 17" - 19" or whatever length to span whatever cool case you find.

then use this;

http://www.blacet.com/FPtyp.jpg

to get all your distances. For rails drill your holes 4.5mm from the inner lip of the right angle alum. use a 2mm drillbit to do the holes & then use the blacet style self-tapping screws (forget which size) to mount each module thumbs up

The results can be a little rough if, like me, you do everything by eye & cut first, measure 2nd Dead Banana

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/252415/pieces_in_place_1.jpg

but its quick, cheap & adaptable to almost any case!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/252415/IMG_6624.jpg

the angled box up the back is an old 12" record crate! with the 19mm angle down each side to hold the rails & 9mm angle for the top & bottom rails its 8FU wide & 6U high exactally! Deep enough to hold CGS pcbs mounted at right angles to the panels & fit a PSU inside applause
fonik
i agree with roycie roller. one of the nice aspects of DIY is that you don't have to follow any standard, but you can if if you want to. i build my stuff according the eurorack form factor standard, however i power it with +15V/-15V eek!
wetterberg
Waz wrote:
I'm looking into something more cost effective. There aren't that many DIY projects for euro or 12v systems for that matter. CGS says that most his boards will work under 12 volts, but I need an extra large case for them. I dont want to drop another 2-300$ on a new 6u eurorack
Oh, I thought you wanted to do diy... you can do 12U of euro-rack for like 60 bucks or less, if you work at it. Even the "readymade" diy kits from synthcase.com are 50 usd for 3U (sans psu).

Going cheaper would mean, what, exactly? hmmm..... I guess a wooden box can be made out of scraps of wood, but... I'd honestly recommend saving up at least a little bit instead...

Waz wrote:
My budget wont be able to handle the sergelike panels. They look awesome, and Ill probably build them in the future. I need something I can buy in increments on a lower budget.
The way I see it a Serge-alike is just about the cheapest way to work; the cases are inexpensive, the cgs boards run on both 12/15v, and you only need one panel - yes, it's ONE purchase, but it's got to be heaps cheaper than buying individual panels, right? And you could always opt to drill your own panel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1