MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way and Korg MS 10
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Silent Way and Korg MS 10
untinyunity
Hi,

just tried and tested SW and my Korg MS10 with Ableton Live and Motu 828 mkIII. It works very well :-)

There are some hints if you're keen to try yourself;

MS10 has to freq inputs, one is Hz/v and the secondary is Oct/V. Its best to use the secondary for greater range. Its the top left one marked -5/+5 oct/volt. The knob called frq mod eg/ext ust be turned all the way clockwise.

If you're connecting the filter, the knob called cutoff frq mod eg/ext should be turned all the way clockwise.

The MS10 trigger in seems to be oposite of normal CV stuff, workaround is to use "Gate open" at 0 and "gate closed" at 1 if you are using SW voice, and the MS10 EG. It is also possible to use the SW EG to MS10 initial gain input. But this results in a nasty click at the beginning of notes...

Hope this helps for others :-) MS 10 can be added to the supported HW list hyper

If anyone has any solution on the click sound when using SW for volume EG, please help :-)

All the best!

T
os
Thanks for the info.
flo
I also had success doing this with Motu Volta (MS10 as well as 20). As it's a bit of a workaround, Motu never wanted to add the Korg MS series to their list of supported stuff, despite me describing it in detail to them...

The nasty click if you use a software EG happens with Volta too, if you open the attack just by a few ms it should go away thumbs up
untinyunity
w00t

I have done some more nerding with the MS-10, and this gives you way more playability and stability.

This is how to get 8 octaves working with MS10 and Silent Way;

On the MS10 connect mod wheel out (+-5v) to VCO CV in (far rigth), then turn mod wheel to max.
Silent ways pitch output is connected to freq input -5/+5v on far left. When calibrating use the V/oct button on Silent Way plugin.
For best calibration set MS 10 as follows; 16' feet octave, sine waveform, filter all the way open and no peak/reso.
If you dont feed the offset to primary pitch input, your ms10 will drift and your range will be smaller.

For triggering using MS-10s ADSR, connect Silent Ways second output to MS-10 trigger in on far right. Remember to invert trigger values on Silent Way plug. Ie trig on to zero and trig off to one.

For triggering with Silent Ways envelope move the plug from MS10s trig in to MS10 init volume. There should be nothing connected to trig in. Make sure that in Silent Way output to has no value on gate, but value on env 1 is set to 1 on output 2. I prefer this method.

If you use the voice controller plug in you may set env 2 and 3 to filter and pwm for nice sounds, simply connect...

These findings were done with Silent Ways voice controller, Ableton 8 and Motu 828 mkIII fw. (Wich can be added to compatibility list) using floating ring cables.

Time to play, use the force!
joshuarule
This was super helpful! Just setup my MS-10 and it's awesome to be accessing 8 octaves. Thanks!
pd2018
I'm confused... can anyone help?

I have the ES-40, ESX-8MD which are working great with my outboard MIDI stuff.

Now I've added the ESX-8CV and ESX-8GT to control my Korg MS-10 and other stuff (old analogue drum box with 2 trigger ins).

Can someone advise on how to do this step by step in Ableton live? I just don't get it.

Running the MIDI stuff through the 8MD was all fine...

Do I need to use Voice Controller now? I thought I could do all this in the ES-40 plugin...

Any help much appreciated.
os
You could use the Voice Controller (in its ESX-8CV mode). For full flexibility you would use the combination of Voice Controller/ESX-8CV Combiner/ES-4 Controller.

Voice Controller in ESX-8CV mode would be a simpler way to start, and build confidence before moving on to move advanced things.

For the drum triggers, you can use the ES-4 Controller's Gates section.
pd2018
os wrote:
You could use the Voice Controller (in its ESX-8CV mode). For full flexibility you would use the combination of Voice Controller/ESX-8CV Combiner/ES-4 Controller.

When you say in ESX-8CV mode, how do you enable this? I can't see anything that enables this mode.

Also, as soon as I hit calibtrate for Hz/V (for my MS-10) everything stops. I can get a sound before then, triggering the synth albeit with the pitch remaining the same wherever I play on the keyboard.

os wrote:
Voice Controller in ESX-8CV mode would be a simpler way to start, and build confidence before moving on to move advanced things.

Is there an example setup? See above. Can't get pitch. Just want to have a CV from the ESX-8CV going into the CV in on the MS-10, and gate from the ESX-8GT going into the Trig In on the MS-10 and understand how to make that work. Just a simple single CV and GATE setup for a mono synth. Can't find that anywhere.

os wrote:
For the drum triggers, you can use the ES-4 Controller's Gates section.

Tried that but nothing happening.

Thanks
mpl
Sounds like your not inverting your trigger output to the ms10
pd2018
mpl wrote:
Sounds like your not inverting your trigger output to the ms10

Triggering is working fine in V/Oct mode, and I have it inverted. When I switch to Hz mode, nothing works.
os
pd2018 wrote:
os wrote:

When you say in ESX-8CV mode, how do you enable this? I can't see anything that enables this mode.

See image:
pd2018
os wrote:
pd2018 wrote:
os wrote:

See image:

When I do this I get nothing at all. Also, it seems all my devices connected by MIDI are program changing randomly all over the place.

I have tried for months to get this to work - would really appreciate a step-by-step solution.
pd2018
Finally got it making some sound... but

1) Do I need the 8GT if I use Voice Controller? I cant see where you set the gate so all my notes play for ever. There seems to be no option to specify where the output of the 8GT is.

2) Using ES-4 controller instead is there any way to invert the gate so it works with MS-10?
os
1) If you're using the Voice Controller in 8CV mode, there's no option to use any other expanders, and by default the gate will come out of 8CV output 2. You can use the 8GT if you use the Voice Controller in its standard mode, and use the ESX-8CV Combiner and ES-5 Controller to route to the 8CV and 8GT respectively.

2) No.
pd2018
os wrote:
1) If you're using the Voice Controller in 8CV mode, there's no option to use any other expanders, and by default the gate will come out of 8CV output 2. You can use the 8GT if you use the Voice Controller in its standard mode, and use the ESX-8CV Combiner and ES-5 Controller to route to the 8CV and 8GT respectively.

1. Do you mean ES-4 controller?

2. Do you just place these plugins in series to do this?
os
1. Instead of the ES-5 Controller, yes, sorry.

2. The Combiner and ES-4 Controller would be in series on your SPDIF track. The Voice Controller would need to be somewhere else so you could plumb the outputs to the two plug-ins.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1