MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Directly control CV from Max with Phidgets?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Directly control CV from Max with Phidgets?
zilaihong
Some days ago I looked into using soundcard to send out CV/gates, and found that quite complicated. (especially the choice of soundcard and stuff).

And I dreamed about direct USB to CV/Gate module that I can use in Max and then I came across this:

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=0&product_id=1002_0

Did a rough look at this thing, the greatest feature about this is that it even has an dedicated object in Max! Just connect and go!

Is 12bit too low?

Does the other specs compatible with eurorack?
Current limit 20mA
Output Impedance (Channel Enabled) 500 mΩ
Output Impedance (Channel Disabled) 4 kΩ
Capacitive Load Stability 4 nF

Please discuss.

Guinness ftw!
pixelmechanic
Wow... This looks great... Have played with phidget sensors in the past but had forgotten about them... Timing might be an issue though
Leoespejo
Maybe this topic should be in the software sub forum

Well, my experience using Max/MSP to send CV has been, a novice i think, approach to the fact, but for me an amazing and new world.

Really i would use it, you'd need a adapter for your patch cables or to build your own special patch cables, and is there any way to calibrate this thing also i always think of use on stage and on the road, so i'd prefer something plug and go.

Maybe now i'm going off topic but this is my experience which i hope it helps others. I'm using Max/MSP to send Gates and CVs and now i'm experimenting sending also sound to be processed with the modular. My experience says that the simple your configuration the best and I use:

- RME UFX adat output connected to two ES-3s I really recommend this ES-3, but you need and interface with adat
- Max/MSP obviously
- iPad with Konkreet Performer app and Lemur.
- OSC externals to control the huge patches i've made with iPad

here you have some videos i made using and testing this patches which are constantly growing.

crippletoe
I control both my eurorack and my ms20 from MaxMsp.
my MOTU Ultralite interface can send CV out of the audio outputs so that gives me 10 outs to use.
as far as max in condcearned, the control is as simple as sending a number out of the output!!!!
VERY STRAIGHTFORWARD!
zilaihong
crippletoe wrote:
my MOTU Ultralite interface can send CV out of the audio outputs so that gives me 10 outs to use.
as far as max in condcearned, the control is as simple as sending a number out of the output!!!!
VERY STRAIGHTFORWARD!

Best solution so far I've heard! Sounds like I'll go for a motu for the next soundcard purchase...
asterisk
i recommend Greg Surges' / Pucktronix OCTOMOD
its a DIY USB->CV box that interfaces directly with max/msp. using a Teensy/Arduino type of chip.
gives you 8 channels of CV output. i think it is also 12 bit.
check out the DIY forum for more info....
ive been using it alot with max/msp and ive been very happy with it.

this Phidget thing looks cool though. 4 channel output isnt bad.
i wonder if its possible to use multiple Phidgets at a time to get 8 outputs (or more)

can you wire up 1/8" jacks directly to the Phidget outputs?
Matos
asterisk you don't happen to maxforlive do you? I acquired an octopod but I just got maxforlive and I'm a total beginner with this world.
L.C.O.
crippletoe wrote:
VERY STRAIGHTFORWARD!

Hi,
Are there some online resources that explain (or show examples) how to use the Ultralite as a CV interface? This sounds very intriguing to me...
Thank you!
p.
DerHeinrich
Max and my old first generation Motu 828 works also.
Have not been using it much yet. But it was reason enough to pull the good ol' 828 out of the dust.
jonah
I'm going to order a Livid Brain Jr or 2 soonish and see what it can do. 16 digi ins, 16 analog in, and 16 LED outs, which they also call "other".

Looking to see if it can trigger gates via the LED/other outs. They said 25mA. I asked for clarification and I also asked what the high and max value on the trigger ins. If it's not possible I'm going to pair some photo-resistors to the LEDs or something.

It's supposed to speak configurable MIDI via software, although I'm unclear if it needs Live.
AsceticUnderground
Matos PM me if you need some m4l help. I did my masters degree project in m4l so i can probably point you in the right direction if your stuck
flashheart
asterisk wrote:
i recommend Greg Surges' / Pucktronix OCTOMOD
its a DIY USB->CV box that interfaces directly with max/msp. using a Teensy/Arduino type of chip.
gives you 8 channels of CV output. i think it is also 12 bit.
check out the DIY forum for more info....
ive been using it alot with max/msp and ive been very happy with it.

this Phidget thing looks cool though. 4 channel output isnt bad.
i wonder if its possible to use multiple Phidgets at a time to get 8 outputs (or more)

can you wire up 1/8" jacks directly to the Phidget outputs?

Is the OCTOMOD available in any way/shape or form? Can't see any reference to the hardware or PCB anywhere on the site?
esquilofreniko
I'm currently looking for the best solution to control my modular through max/msp.
I Would like to send weird shaped LFOs and gate as CV from max into modular and receive gates and CV values in max from the modular.
What would i need to connect the phidgets output to a 3.5mm jack to send to my modular?
esquilofreniko
crippletoe wrote:
VERY STRAIGHTFORWARD!

what is the maximum voltage level you can get from the motu? also, can you track CV values through the Motu inputs?
Thanks
Ramases
Quote:
can you track CV values through the Motu inputs?

No, you can't.
It's only the outputs that are DC coupled and will work with CV.
hamildad
Do you need to use floating ring cables with the 828?

I am not sure, but dont want to damage my outputs... I have no need to use the inputs of the 828, I just need to output CVs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1