MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Whoops!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Whoops!
tIB
I was supposed to be selling this lot (the bottom 9U) but committed the ultimate sin of racking it all up and playing with it again yesterday. Frac might not be the most sellable format but damn it sounds good!

IMAG0235 by sonofprent, on Flickr

If I keep it Ill nana up the lower half and probably add a couple of bug bits to the empty spaces, along with a miniwave that is currently away.

I've a feeling my tinysizer might be on the way out of the door... my loss is my gain. hihi
e-grad
tIB wrote:
Frac might not be the most sellable format but damn it sounds good!

So, true. The Blacet kits have an incredible cost/performance ratio. IMO compared to Doepfer the ergonomics are much better. That's why my own panel design follows more or less a Blacet standard. Fithermore, with PAiA and Blacet frac is an easy entrance into the world of DIY.
tIB
^ Yeah, I really like the layout of the blacet stuff; great designs (if not the prettiest panel wise).

Ill give it the weekend and then decide what to do. I think I already know though, since Ive just put up a module for trade for frac in the BST.

Poor Tinysizer: the live set I never played!
e-grad
tIB wrote:
great designs (if not the prettiest panel wise).

That was my initial thought on the varying typefaces as well. However, you can easily distinguish one module from another from the corner of an eye. My gone Doepfer system has been much more unclear to me in this respect.
tIB
^ Never thought of it like that, though I work my way around by midule placement generally. I need to rejig this config really, and get voltage stuff and processing together.
Entrainer
Mr. tIBs

Audio or it never happened! hihi

(breakin out the classics)
rezzn8r
tIB wrote:
I need to rejig this config really, and get voltage stuff and processing together.

That's how I roll thumbs up
tIB
Since you asked...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/t1b/dachshund[/s]

The frac is the dr who low end of course!
idiotunderground
what's in the second rack down w/ the red& green knobs?
scozbor
tIB wrote:
Frac might not be the most sellable format but damn it sounds good!

Care to elborate on the sound?
What are you comparing to - a euro system?

I LOVE the sound of my Frac but have minimal experience with other systems to compare...
tIB
^ I'm not sure how much I can go into in regards comparing it to other formats, everything is different and much of it sounds very nice indeed for the most part. Ill play the game though, just for kicks...

Where I feel frac is strongest is in some weird east VS west coast middle ground- I consider it the East Midlands of synthesis!

Its a very strong/powerful sound, everything sounds big to me on those blacet VCO's, though in a very different way than the macbeth DO sounded big, which is what I expected the blacet VCOs to be like... they are somehow sharper/more modern sounding. So far I dont love how the blacet VCO's handle FM, everything else sounds fantastic though, including that VC wave... and they do FM, just not quite as nicely as some other oscs Ive had (and better than some others!).

In terms of processing everything else I have just sits so well- the MOTM 490 is brilliant in terms of both filtering and (pleasing) distortion.. strong. The klangwerk is as sharp as a ringmod can be, it more than makes up for the FM and has a ton of bonus features. The STG stuff I know from my euro days- theres no better wavefolder out there I dont think. Id put the bugbrand wavefolder on a par (it has more features) but in terms of sound they are very similar... both brilliant, both strong. Miniwave sounds great and is multipurpose, again its a stronbg sound and one I prefer over something lie the morphing terranium. You get the general theme though; it all sounds strong, ballsy, big or any other machismo synth term you want to use.

What I also love about frac is that its all plays nice in terms of levels and voltage- Ive not had issues of mismatches, everyone seems to be singing from the same sheet in that respect... unlike euro, which Ive had but don't now. Talking of euro I also kind of like the sparseness of it- there's a very nice balance of available modules without overkill. If I want a low pass filter for example I have plenty of options, pretty much all of which sound great- there's no fluff out there. I struggled with a nice low pass in euro, in the end the ones I really liked were STG and already avaliable in frac.

In terms of comparing to the other systems Ive had I there's a lot I prefer about frac to euro- interface, build quality, cohesion... I wouldnt mind at all if the cyclebox and RES4 were avaliable in frac though. Bug I think is cleaner, more elastic and west coast in its approach, though still very analogue and strong like its frac cousin (its my favourite format). The buchla 200e is very different, its almost the opposite of frac- sharp, spiky and capable of some very unique (and amazingly harsh digital if you push it that way) sounds Ive not managed anywhere else.

They are all great in there own way, but for me frac nails that east coast sound whilst allowing itself to be pushed in a very west coast way when required.... a big ugly jack of all trades: It's a synth Sylvester Stallone. I'll stop now!
Norman_Phay
I was at some synth meet in Newcastle, England w/my Blacet rig and another wiggler who was there said the general sound of the thing was somewhat EMS-esque, which I hadn't noticed before then, but which I thought was a good call. It (Blacet) does have a kind of an upfront sound like the synthi-A does, it "cuts" for want of a better term.

tib, you would be insane to sell that Blacet gear, especially for what you will get for it, it is such good, fun & creative gear and always will be one of the best & probably most underrated modular gear. I will never sell mine.
slow_riot
Yeah it's true that Blacet is hard to sell, at the prices for most things that you need to drop to to make a sale, you'll almost certainly regret it down the line.

I agree with all the things that you've said about the sound of Blacet as well as the feel of it. It's definitely leaning towards east coast.

It's definitely more complete and well thought out as a system, euro has a lot of mismatches.

I don't think the VCOs are designed as FM oscs, but for raw sharp precise sound they certainly do the job.
tIB
Norman_Phay wrote:
I was at some synth meet in Newcastle, England w/my Blacet rig and another wiggler who was there said the general sound of the thing was somewhat EMS-esque, which I hadn't noticed before then, but which I thought was a good call. It (Blacet) does have a kind of an upfront sound like the synthi-A does, it "cuts" for want of a better term.

tib, you would be insane to sell that Blacet gear, especially for what you will get for it, it is such good, fun & creative gear and always will be one of the best & probably most underrated modular gear. I will never sell mine.

Agree on both parts- cuts might not be the best term but its right! Ive been on the fence about selling the frac or the tiny- the frac ought to raise more money but since it isnt selling Ill likely hang on to it. The tinysizer is also a ballsy little thing, though Id be keeping it for a live set that Im not really going to be able to play in the foreseeable future. Im probably better off letting that one go...

Id waah but the frac is so w00t it's all ended up SlayerBadger! !!!
tIB
slow_riot wrote:

I don't think the VCOs are designed as FM oscs, but for raw sharp precise sound they certainly do the job.

Yeah, think triangle/sin core VCO's make the prettiest FM, and these are saw core if I remember right. Its nice that the FM is there though, and it can be used sparingly!
e-grad
Norman_Phay wrote:

Totally agree with you. I'm often tempted to give any low priced Blacet module a new home. But then my system is already rather too big given the short time I'm using it ATM.
Norman_Phay
tIB wrote:
Yeah, think triangle/sin core VCO's make the prettiest FM, and these are saw core if I remember right. Its nice that the FM is there though, and it can be used sparingly!

Having examples of either kind of osc, I do feel that the differences between tricore & sawcore tend to be a bit overstated on MW. I don't find there to be a huge amt of difference TBH. what I would mention though is that looking at your photo at the top of the thread, the VCOs in your rack do not have the AC/DC cap bypass mod installed on the FM in. This is pretty much an essential mod to do! It makes a big difference. I think new Blacet VCOs come w this installed already.

Somewhere in the AH archives is a post by Grant Richter explaining how the Blacet VCO is enhanced in some way from prior saw core oscs, I'll see if I can find it.
Norman_Phay
Here y'go:

http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/lookit.cgi?-v0403.219
rezzn8r
Norman_Phay wrote:
Here y'go:

http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/lookit.cgi?-v0403.219

interesting stuff. thanks for the link.

Frac is dead. Long live Frac!
tIB
Norman_Phay wrote:

Having examples of either kind of osc, I do feel that the differences between tricore & sawcore tend to be a bit overstated on MW. I don't find there to be a huge amt of difference TBH.

You might well be right there, Im only really going on things Ive had that FM'd really well, like the bug sin core and tri core VCO's.

Norman_Phay wrote:

what I would mention though is that looking at your photo at the top of the thread, the VCOs in your rack do not have the AC/DC cap bypass mod installed on the FM in. This is pretty much an essential mod to do! It makes a big difference. I think new Blacet VCOs come w this installed already.

Ah, thanks for that. I do have it one one of the VCO's (AC/DC switch) so will experiment there and add the mod if needed. Will fiddle shortly...

[/quote]
hollowman
Just sell me your miniwave, keep the rest applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1