MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
dogoftears

i'll never get over how tits this filter sounds.
otoskope
Yes, my favorite, too! Along with the Bugbrand SV filter. One nasty, one elegant.

You can use the Borg as a great LPG, as an fx (great distortion), as an oscillator (screeeeeaming), and as a VCA (waste of space). And - as a FILTER! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

/Palle
otoskope
synthcube wrote:
anyone know the precise diameters for panel holes for the standard 3.5mm jacks vs the bananas? I know the 3.5mm holes can be reamed out pretty easy, but curious about what the actual delta is

It depends - different jacks have different diameters. I use the same banana jacks as Bugbrand uses, which are solid brass - more dififcult to solder, but last a lifetime. I usually have to drill an 8mm hole for them. Usually the minijacks are around 6mm. But it varies. I've got best results with this kind of drill:

But sometimes this is enough:

BananaPlug
Final Filter - half size It's peanut butter jelly time!

The downsizing requires giving up the EG ouput and the switch for LFO/AD mode.
dogoftears
so has any one successfully converted a JAG? i just was examining it today and realizing that the banana sockets would create too much of a gap between the board and the faceplate, thus causing the LED's, single pot, and single switch to not make it through.

Any suggestions? I pretty much *need* this thing with nanas as it eats conversion cables for breakfast which really upsets my workflow.
reignbear
dogoftears wrote:
so has any one successfully converted a JAG? i just was examining it today and realizing that the banana sockets would create too much of a gap between the board and the faceplate, thus causing the LED's, single pot, and single switch to not make it through.

Any suggestions? I pretty much *need* this thing with nanas as it eats conversion cables for breakfast which really upsets my workflow.

only one i know of was done by the bugmaster. i remember in an older thread he said it looked grimm, but eventually did one for indexofmetals (which he sold when i was of course broke)...
dogoftears
reignbear wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

only one i know of was done by the bugmaster. i remember in an older thread he said it looked grimm, but eventually did one for indexofmetals (which he sold when i was of course broke)...

right, did a bit of searching and saw Tom post about it, seems he had to somehow cut into the PCB a bit to fit the jacks! i just e-mailed him to enquire further, but also did some of my own brain-racking on the matter and thought... maybe it'd be easier to somehow sand down the nana jacks... they only need another mm or so and then everything will be gravy. i thought of replacing the LED's, switch, and pot, but they are all in the very dense SMT section of the board and i'd rather not mess around over there.

has any one every successfully shortened a nana jack? ive got the rapid/bug style ones. easiest way?
radams
I have a JAG Tom converted to bananas . He did cut away the pcb at the edges . I will post some pics when I ca . It might be a few days though .
reignbear
dogoftears wrote:

has any one every successfully shortened a nana jack? ive got the rapid/bug style ones. easiest way?

dremel?

i wonder how short you could go? since this is one of the bigger headaches for baananafy-ing certain modules...
dogoftears
radams wrote:
I have a JAG Tom converted to bananas . He did cut away the pcb at the edges . I will post some pics when I ca . It might be a few days though .

pretty please!
BananaPlug
Haven't done the JAG but yes, that sort of thing has been done. Here's the solution. w00t
otoskope
I also have a JAG bananafied (I believe) by Tom Bugs, which I acquired from ekofisk. Here are a couple of (lousy mobile) pictures:

/Palle
dogoftears
wow. this is going to be a mission.

BananaPlug- the problem with your method is then the JAG will be held to the FP with just one floating pot and a tiny switch. that just don't seem right.

Otoskope- wow. just wow. i don't know if i have the heart to slice up my JAG like that. BUT it does allow the jacks to still provide support for the board...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
radams
Thanks Palle - that's exactly the same as mine .
Tom warned me that it was not an elegant solution !
Well worth it though . Quad sines are a nice pairing !
BananaPlug
dogoftears wrote:
BananaPlug- the problem with your method is then the JAG will be held to the FP with just one floating pot and a tiny switch. that just don't seem right.

I see what you're up against. If you can somehow attach the board to a bracket, the banana plugs can secure the bracket to the panel. Though I like the way Palle's was done.
hmmm.....
Chaotic
My first frac modules bananafied. It's peanut butter jelly time!
I have a 3U rack with frac modules. They have been sitting under the work bench since I started with Serge. Had 9U but had to sell some of it to finance the Serge.
Finally I have decided to bananafy them and let them talk to Serge.

Chaotic
Done

And here are audio from the patch on the pic. Self playing, no hands involved hihi
[s]http://soundcloud.com/chaotic-morphs/fracking-test-of-frac-rack[/s]
J3RK
These aren't conversions, but I love this thread. Thought I'd drop in some of the pics I have up right now. w00t

otoskope
If you, like me, want to use the fantastic yellow tube-modules from Metasonix (R- and RK-series) together with your bananafrac, I found a very simple way to convert them. Take a look at the HOW-TO here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163640
(Don't want multiple threads, but I thought many of you don't read the Metasonix subforum)

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4