MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[BUILD] L-1 Vocoder build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author [BUILD] L-1 Vocoder build thread
DSC
gerald wrote:
So - here it is, my 95.83% functional L-1 vocoder. One channel isn't working - chips are all fine, inserted correctly, and the external connections are right. It will "ring" in the nasty way that channels ring if you bypass their CV jumper, so the problem must be on the modulator input to that channel - have to track the circuit. Debugging is tough when you have a pile-o-flying-wires to contend with. Also, since it is the second channel, second board I spend a lot of time unscrewing the stack of boards.

One missing channel isn't enough to keep this thing from rocking my world! Sounds fantastic with a mini-brute carrier! The knobs are actually pretty useful for debugging, and fun to play with. Also - I recommend running a sine wave into both carrier/mod and sweeping through all channels to make sure everything is working - there is a youtube video showing someone do this for a PAIA vocoder which is worth checking out!

-gerald

Please more audio samples of this!!
I'm on the edge about jumping into this hyper
fluxivity
mains voltages stay fine when testing controller board spot on at plus and minus 12, when I connect a filterboard they pull to -19 and +5. Filterboards don't have any chips within. Any suggestions? Thanks
L-1
Such situation with any of 4 filterbank boards?
Do you have enough power from source? +1A and -0.5A are needed for Vocoder.
fluxivity
It was the switchcraft 1/4" grounding out on the board above. I bent the terminals. Anybody got any extra THAT chip'ses? I need 13 4301's and 6 300's.
L-1
thumbs up glad you solved this.
consumed
im just now finally finishing up my control board and one of the filterbank boards.
im increasing the 10mm standoffs for 12mm between control board and front panel.
the tip of my 1/4" PLUG (when inserted) bumps into the bottom of the filterbank pcb if i use the 10mm standoff.
im using a switchcraft 112AX jack.
consumed
my 12 band (for now) vocoder is alive! the filterbank is working great and im surprised the 12 bands sound pretty good already. i have just the odd channels for the 12 bands. soon, i will test 18 bands and then 24 bands.

EDIT: PROBLEM RESOLVED
(bad solder joint on one of the resistors. ignore the following!)

im having two problems, both seem to be control board related. i am using only the 3.5mm modulator in and carrier in (not the mic in, nor the instrument in).

1. when bypassing the filterbank, the modulator input sounds fine for a few seconds. then, it slowly fades into low level pops and clicks. (this does not seem to occur when the filterbank is engaged. occurs whether or not the eq or compressor are engaged)

2. the LOW eq, when turned just past 12 oclock, fades the output completely out, like a highpass filter. everything below 12 oclock is fine. (the other three bands are working fine.)

*update jan 8: im still looking at the board for bad solder joints or bridges, but have (mostly) eliminated incorrect cap values and poorly seated ICs
consumed
24 bands working hard here.
(as reese mentioned earlier) i was NOT able to use the power one HAA 1A supply for this module
(even at 12v) so i installed an HBB 1.7A psu in the rack
i paired the vocoder up with a pt audio dual digital oscillator and moogah sem vcf.
excellent project, recommended. i now want level controls for each band lol
also, the vocoder pairs VERY well with the serge resonant eq!

Luka
nice work!

i have a THAT kit and will grab some pcbs soon

want to get a case for my JH vocoder first
L-1
consumed my congrats!
Also Tube VCA pairs good with Vocoder. Samples 2 and 5 on my site were recorded with Tube VCA before carrirer input.
consumed
L-1 wrote:
consumed my congrats!
Also Tube VCA pairs good with Vocoder. Samples 2 and 5 on my site were recorded with Tube VCA before carrirer input.

ah yes, i should have mentioned that the resonant eq on the carrier was particularly effective. sounds like the tube vca really beefs the sound up quite well.
fluxivity
I've got too much carrier in my output signal. Anything I can do, or problems to look for?
Thanks
P
L-1
fluxivity wrote:
I've got too much carrier in my output signal. Anything I can do, or problems to look for?
Thanks
P

Maybe too load carrier signal. Carrier pot range is in first half for modular level.

Or some of channels is not working - passes signal without modulation.
consumed
L-1 wrote:
fluxivity wrote:
Thanks
P

Maybe too load carrier signal. Carrier pot range is in first half for modular level.

Or some of channels is not working - passes signal without modulation.

i noticed that modular levels into modulator and carrier should be around or below 9 oclock to avoid distortion, although the sound of the distortion is not necessarily a bad thing either. 8_)
NS4W
I'm debugging mine now. Checking all chip connections etc. Mine goes quiet if I connect more than 2 filter boards. I'm using a Doepfer Mini Case now, 200 mA @ +/-12V. Could it be too little power?

Would a TipTop Happy Ending Kit be better?
L-1
Yeah power. You need 1A (1000 mA) for 4 boards.

How you didn't burn your fuse (?)

Now you can check boards one by one, not all together.
NS4W
I feel so stupid not checking this beforehand d'oh!
Now I just have to wait for a uZeus supply to pimp the Doepfer case.
L-1
Why not to make supply yourself? It's cheap and easy.
NS4W
I don't know how to do it, but If you make a foolproof guide I might try!
L-1
MFOS bipolar adjustable is good.
I use such but etch boards myself.
Ampers will depend on transformer and radiators you use. Usually it's 2.5A
NS4W
I have my psu ready now. But carrier signal is bleeding through if I turn 'carrier level' pot just a little bit up from zero. What could be wrong?
fluxivity
NSFW, I had that problem, I put attenuation on the front end so that I could control what the onboard carrier level control had to work with and that sorted me out nicely, very nicely, blissfully even.
NS4W
fluxivity wrote:
NSFW, I had that problem, I put attenuation on the front end so that I could control what the onboard carrier level control had to work with and that sorted me out nicely, very nicely, blissfully even.

Thanks for the tip! After sending the carrier osc through a CVP things got better. I still have to fine tweak the attenuation from time to time when it starts to crackle and the carrier bleeds through/distort again. The sounds are nice, but plug and play it's not.

I also got my cat to meow through it.
spotta
To everyone who has completed this project, did you chose Tempco's or go with standard 2k's?
And would you make the same choice again!?!

Thanks
jrnmv
L-1 wrote:
I will make Farnell links soon. But caps I've ordered from Smallbear and Banzai. Panasonics.
Green chinese caps I used on the prototype. Work well but they are a bit higher then needed but anyway can fit if to tilt a bit. I've bought them as values pack on ebay. This pack covers all needs, 10 caps each value. Costs very cheap.
Something like that but check values before ordering. And values higher than 47n will be too big.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/470pF-470nF-280pcs-30values-Polyester-Film-Cap acitor-Assorted-Kit-Current-2A-/120999518655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&has h=item1c2c2221bf

^^^^Re: tolerance on these:

10%, 100V
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 12 of 13