MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cabinet rails?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author cabinet rails?
suitandtieguy
i'm in the process of having some moog format cabinet rails quoted. these would be 8MU long, be constructed of .063" steel, and have two countersunk holes for mounting screws.

i'm getting them made for my own cabinets, but i'll also sell them. is anyone interested?

i don't have a price yet as i'm waiting on the quotes to be returned.
JohnLRice
Similar in design to the MOTM mounting rails? That would be cool. I really like the design of the Synthesizers.com frames though.
Henfield
I would be interested!
suitandtieguy
JohnLRice wrote:
Similar in design to the MOTM mounting rails? That would be cool. I really like the design of the Synthesizers.com frames though.

i'm sorry, what i was talking about was actual threaded rails to put into wooden cabinets, not rack frames.
sunsinger
STG,
Yeah I'm on board with rack rails for Moog Format that screw into wood. I'm ordering some like this from Bridechamber for my MOTM stuff now.

I just had to watch as my beautiful wood cabinet's rails were cracked and stripped from moving my module configurations around too much. Screwing modules into wood can be very imprecise. And it sucks to ruin a beautiful and time consuming hand built cabinet.

Now I have to build a new case, it's just too trashed.
JohnLRice
suitandtieguy wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

i'm sorry, what i was talking about was actual threaded rails to put into wooden cabinets, not rack frames.

Ahhh, gottcha! oops
sunsinger
Hi John,

I've talked with Suit & Tie Guy about these rails. They would work like the rails that Bridechamber sells for MOTM format.

A straight rail that would hold a number of modules with machine threaded screw holes... And only two countersunk holes for the rail to screw permanently into the wood.

We also talked about angle peices for the bottom and top rail that would eliminate the need for wooden rails on the top and bottom, these might screw into the wood chassis.

This way you could make any size cabinet and have metal rails for your MOTM modules (if you bought the MOTM format from Bridechamber) and Synth.com if you ordered from STG.

Seems cool to me...
ach_gott
I agree... this has been lacking in the marketplace for a long time.
NV
I would definitely be interested. The angle pieces sound useful as well, particularly for a simple and small DIY cabinet.
Henfield
Hey STG,

Any idea on the timeframe for these rails?
NV
If you decide to go through with this I would like to suggest that there be more than just two countersunk holes to mount the rail to the wood. That way people could cut the rails down to size - for example, the cases I use have room for 10 MU so they wouldn't fit the 8 MU rails exactly, but if there were multiple screw holes I could cut them down and arrange them without worrying about rails hanging by a single screw.

Ultimately I could always just drill some countersunk holes so it isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice if they were available.
suitandtieguy
i'll see about more holes. i agree.

timeframe? i don't know. i subitted the quote request this weekend and haven't had a response at all. i'm going to try calling tomorrow and i'll post an update. i'm ready to buy these _now_.
Henfield
Any updates?
suitandtieguy
sorry for the lack of updates. i was waiting for a quote back. apparently the person i was dealing with went on vacation, and then gave the quote to his neighbor.

i got the quote and it looks like this is going to be doable. i'm going to run this drawing past another couple of other suppliers and see what else sticks. after a bit more research and some firm dates, i'll get a price together.

right now i can tell you they're definitely going to be steel, 1/8" thick and 3/8" high, waterjet-cut, and probably 3 mounting holes.

i thought about other sizes. my gut is telling me 8MU and 6MU, then you can fill a 22MU Moog-style cabinet from Synthesizers.com with these if you like.

i'm going to start with 8MU though.
XXXEsq
If what you are talking about are metal mounting rails that would mount to a .Com studio modular case and allow for modules to be mounted to metal rather than wood, I'm definately interested as well. My 66 space arrives next week.... hyper
suitandtieguy
the rails have been paid for and should be here in a couple weeks.

i'm curious to see how they are.
suitandtieguy
hmm. i don't think these will work:

more pics here for your morbid curiosity

so yeah i think i'm going to be having a talk with these people.
sunsinger
Hey Suit... Did these guys do a mechanical drawing for you? And were the specs laid out in writing?
suitandtieguy
i made the mechanical drawing myself, which specified every dimension.

this was just incompetence on the part of the fabricator.

i'm going to see if they can get it right. if not there are other suppliers i can work with.
JohnLRice
Sheesh. Looks like they thought they were supposed to be making glockenspiels! d'oh!
suitandtieguy
unfortunately they are all roughly the same length or i'd test that supposition!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1