MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mixed 12v and 15 systems?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author mixed 12v and 15 systems?
wetterberg
I think I've found the way I'm going to roll with this: set me psus up to +-15v and then regulate down to 12v where needed - basically I'll have a +-15v, +-12v, +5 psu.

Does this sound feasible, dear folks? This is the week I refurb my PowerOnes...

cheers
ndkent
I'd say it depends on the quality of what's doing the regulating taking into consideration how much power you are needing

If you have a couple powerones then it should be easy enough to set one or some to 12 and some to 15.
wetterberg
ndkent wrote:
I'd say it depends on the quality of what's doing the regulating taking into consideration how much power you are needing

If you have a couple powerones then it should be easy enough to set one or some to 12 and some to 15.
yeah, but this is for a portable system, unfortunately - ONE powerone is plenty heavy, like 3-4 kilos I'd wager? And it supplies 3.4amps @ 12v, so one should be PLENTY for my faux-monster case.

Ideally it would supply mostly 15v and then reg.'d down to 12v for about 1/3rd of the system (factory Doepfer/MFB/Makenoise units)
JohnLRice
This thread may tickle yer fancy a bit . . . or not cry
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2920
ndkent
Seems to me more people would be doing that if it was easy.

I'd think a smaller supply or supplies would work better since they might avoid a problem or an accident.

Though if you can get details from someone who has had a working solution for a while using regulators then that might be good.
sduck
Those 3+ amp powers supplies are big-ass boxes - lots of metal and HEAVY. You would probably do just as well with a 1.5 amp 15v supply, or even a .8 amp one, and regulate part of that output, or even add another small 12v supply.

I'm not one for doing the math involved in adding up amp requirements, but for example, my bottom 2x24u motm cabinet is powered by a 1.5 amp powerone supply, and it's got 21 modules running happily in it, and some of those are pretty big draw items, like sequencers and such. And in my smaller cabinets - 1x24u - I'm running those with .8 amp psu's, again, no problems. So that 3 amp psu may be overkill, and really heavy also.
mono-poly
My FreuroRack

Power-One with an extra regulator board added.
magman
There were a couple of threads over on E-M that went through some PSU options and there are a few interesting smaller modules that may be of interest.

I found a couple of these at Farnell. The first is a very neat encapsulated supply which supplies up to 200mA:

http://uk.farnell.com/vxi-power/14442-000/psu-15v-0-2a-epsd-15-200c/dp  /1186402

You would need to get hold of a PCB to support the module(s) (not a very complex PCB though). You could also probably build both a 12V and a 15V supply onto one board though if you wanted to.

The next is a bit more beefy, capable of supplying 1A:

http://uk.farnell.com/calex/52212a/psu-chassis-adj-2-output-reg/dp/129 7422

Not bad weight either, at 1kg.

Another option are the All in One PSU's from Elby, these could be built into a portable case quite easily.

http://www.elby-designs.com/shopping/index1.html (click on the Power Supplies link at the side).

These are all linear PSU's, though some people have been trying switched mode PSU's with some success (this is seen by sacrilege by some synth purists though). These tend to be a lot lighter than linear PSU's, which for a portable device may not be a bad design compromise.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Magman
JohnLRice
Just FYI: I just got this Sola linear +-12VDC power supply in the mail today from Skycraft Parts and Surplus http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11 00

$14.95 plus $12 shipping. Hopefully it will be decent but I'm not going to use it right away unless the surplus Power-Ones I got previously have issues.

sduck
Skycraft has those great prices, but they only ship domestically.
Scott Stites
Thank you for that info, John, you're a scholar and a gentleman. smile
Roycie Roller
JohnLRice wrote:

$14.95 plus $12 shipping.

How can they do it for the price?

JohnLRice wrote:
+-12VDC

Going euro John? woah
Scott Stites
The power supply actually can produce +/-12V @ 1A or +/-15V @ 800 mA.

I'm going for the latter. smile
jwilsey
I just had a friend bring me 5 for those from the states. 8_)
wetterberg
sduck wrote:
Those 3+ amp powers supplies are big-ass boxes - lots of metal and HEAVY. You would probably do just as well with a 1.5 amp 15v supply, or even a .8 amp one, and regulate part of that output, or even add another small 12v supply.
Yes, but in an 850HP(!) case you kinda NEED a lot of power. And I doubt one of these is heavier than three or four smaller units.

Besides... I have them wink They're right here on my shelf, so they're kinda my starting point.
daverj
Quote:
yeah, but this is for a portable system........

Yes, but in an 850HP(!) case........

eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!

That's a really big "portable" system!
wetterberg
daverj wrote:
Quote:
yeah, but this is for a portable system........

Yes, but in an 850HP(!) case........

eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!

That's a really big "portable" system!
hehe. help ah, yeah. I kinda had a dream of doing an easily reconfigurable live+studio setup, and I didn't really see the G6 racks in that equation, so I'm rolling my own here... It'll be a lot like a 110cm-wide monster case, really. Really quick to setup and move about (yes, I bought a trolley setup for it, too).
revmutt
I picked up a pair myself.
Scott Stites
Got my power supplies from Skycraft Surplus. They have the usual documentation detailing the proper mains hookups, cal points for voltage, etc.

Pulled the first one out, and located the trimpots for adjusting from 12V to 15V. All of the trims had a hideous amount of Loctite plastered over them - somebody really went to town with that gunk. The trims are absolutely and irrevocably unmoveable; totally stuck.

not this shit again

So, now I have to drop the cam, disengage the driveshaft and re-align the clutch to get this thing to 15V operation. Well, it's not that bad, but I'll have to desolder the power transistors, bring up the board and replace the trimpots.

The second power supply had Loctite, but a Loctite of a much easier-to-deal-with variety. I was able to get pot movement on that one.

mmm.....pot movement.... Drunken Homer Simpson
revmutt
OK. I looked at these guys in their boxes and almost everything made perfect sense. Just want to double check one thing.

I am wiring this for Euro rack stuff, I should have 3 wires that I am attaching to the bus board. +12, ground, -12.

The PS has a +12/-12 and in between it says "common". I am assuming that THAT is to be used as the ground wire. I will of course test it with a meter before actually attaching it to anything valuable.

I appreciate any advice that is helpful and doesn't end with "go learn math you retard"
daverj
Quote:
The PS has a +12/-12 and in between it says "common". I am assuming that THAT is to be used as the ground wire.

Yes
JohnLRice
revmutt wrote:

I appreciate any advice that is helpful and doesn't end with "go learn math you retard"

OK, I'll BEGIN it with "go learn math you retard"! lol

I keed, I keed! Mr. Green

Yes, we are all on common ground here on Muff's doing what we love, learning as we go, hand in hand, gland in gland with a spoon full of miracles we're the super sonic synthesists . . . . or something spinning
revmutt
Thanks Dave.

John, you swore you would behave! Admin, please paddle him.
sandyb
revmutt wrote:
Thanks Dave.

John, you swore you would behave! Admin, please paddle him.

paddle? i can do better than that for the esteemed Mr Rice.

Viking
JohnLRice
Roycie Roller wrote:

JohnLRice wrote:
+-12VDC

Going euro John? woah

lol Nope! I have one COTK module, the C1680 delay, that needs +-12 and a Moog 9504A VCF that needs +12 and -6.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2