MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PEQ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author PEQ
tIB
w00t
numan7
thumbs up hoo-ray!!

cheers
otoskope
Changes so small that it can form a stereo pair with the previous version, or do I need to buy two new ones? hmmm.....
BugBrand
I want to try (on a proto, coming shortly) just a small change that may widen the Q range slightly (per mid band). That's the only possible change in sonic terms, I think - so may not implement it to keep consistent with the old ones.
Will also be changing:
- bypass as toggle switch rather than push
- output will be impedance balanced for improved CMRR when feeding to balanced inputs.
- DC-DC will now be off-board like other 'modules'.

So, basically, should be the same..
indexofmetals
good news Tom, I'll take quite a few. I need to find someway to house them all together, plus a chained power supply
soup
BugBrand wrote:
I want to try (on a proto, coming shortly) just a small change that may widen the Q range slightly (per mid band).


I don't know if this means narrower Q but if so yes please.
BugBrand
Bump to announce the new V2 release today!

Quote:
In the meantime I bring back something of a slow-burn secret - the PEQ Parametric EQ, updated to Version2.
I did 50 of the original PEQ back at the start of 2013 and they've found great favour for sonic processing.
The changes in this version can be seen as a few tweaks to the frequency response along with some structural alterations based on my ongoing learnings:
- Input & Output circuitry updated, including changing the Output to being Impedance Balanced (some background reading: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/zbal.htm)
- Low-Cut filter revised to improve response and widen frequency range
- the three State-Variable Filters (Low/Mid/High-bands) have improved control response along with improved Q range - now wider at the one end and narrower at the other.
- bypass now uses a Toggle Switch
Hopefully the run of boards for these will last a while - 18 are completed for release today, with more to follow: http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop
soup
How much narrower is the Q?

Is it noticeable versus the OG version?
BugBrand
Theory said a change of 1/2 octave to 1/3 - but I should try to do a new demo actually.
Cheradenine
Ordered !
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
ear ear
Cheradenine wrote:
Ordered !
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners


Same here! Very excited. w00t hyper screaming goo yo
BugBrand


A pair of PEQ-pairs!
Joined-at-the-hip.
(single DC input too)
soup
^ ^
It's motherfucking bacon yoIt's motherfucking bacon yo
indexofmetals
so you did it!
vasculator
Bugged Endcaps. I absolutely love the PEQ and had to order another so there is one for each Elektron.

[/img]
BugBrand
Thumbsup!
Paranormal Patroler
So you guys reckon these would stand well as a stereo EQ right at the end of the audio chain? I'm thinking it could compliment my live setup nicely. And they look cute to boot.
BugBrand


Well, I did make myself & a couple of other guys some co-joined pairs with stereo work in mind. Certainly works well, though my feeling for ideal would be that I'd much rather have the Low/High cut controls properly tied in stereo (ie. one knob to control left & right together)
BugBrand
The final batch of PEQs for now went on sale yesterday -- that's the end of this run of circuit boards, so it'll be later this year before more can be done..

http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop
cleahy
Just bagged one - woo!
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:


Well, I did make myself & a couple of other guys some co-joined pairs with stereo work in mind. Certainly works well, though my feeling for ideal would be that I'd much rather have the Low/High cut controls properly tied in stereo (ie. one knob to control left & right together)


basically it works but yeah no two PEQ's are perfectly matched, so settings are slightly different on the right and left side for stereo work. this is fine for the studio cus i can just balance each side with a test oscillator and digital meters, any time i've used it live i always take a bunch of photo's of my settings for recall.

this is normal by the way-- if you give a knob say +/- 15 dB of gain there is no way to control where each value in btwn will fall on the knobs swing. the only way around this is rotary switch knobs which of course adds significantly to cost (and QC/testing!)....

if the controls were ganged using a single pot i suppose this also solves the issue? but then you lose the ability to have two mono PEQ's. so yeah, the give n the take.
BugBrand
dogoftears wrote:
basically it works but yeah no two PEQ's are perfectly matched, so settings are slightly different on the right and left side for stereo work. this is fine for the studio cus i can just balance each side with a test oscillator and digital meters, any time i've used it live i always take a bunch of photo's of my settings for recall.

this is normal by the way-- if you give a knob say +/- 15 dB of gain there is no way to control where each value in btwn will fall on the knobs swing. the only way around this is rotary switch knobs which of course adds significantly to cost (and QC/testing!)....

if the controls were ganged using a single pot i suppose this also solves the issue? but then you lose the ability to have two mono PEQ's. so yeah, the give n the take.


The stereo approach would likely be Voltage Controlled - not only for potential CV fun, but mainly so that you could properly avoid the issues you mention.
richard
I have been using my pair for mastering. Sonically I think they really do cut it but controlwise obviously not really... no clear matching or repeatability. Fortunately nothing I have mastered using them has come back for a retweak yet!

All in all a very impressive bit of kit, its very hard to imagine what else could come near at the price as well. But stepped controls, selectable ganging and balanced inputs would send this into the next dimension. For me the extra cost would definitely be worth it.
dogoftears
richard wrote:
I have been using my pair for mastering. Sonically I think they really do cut it but controlwise obviously not really... no clear matching or repeatability. Fortunately nothing I have mastered using them has come back for a retweak yet!

All in all a very impressive bit of kit, its very hard to imagine what else could come near at the price as well. But stepped controls, selectable ganging and balanced inputs would send this into the next dimension. For me the extra cost would definitely be worth it.


glad to hear yr also mastering stuff with it richard. some how it really does work just like some of the 20x more expensive counter parts. i've found you can get the PEQs to match pretty good with a test osc. just set it with your ears, then go thru each band and approximate the frequency on a test oscillator, and match the gain for each side. it's not 100% perfect but should get you within .5 dB matching... actually i can get em pretty near perfect... it sounds arduous but after doing it a bunch it only takes me about a minute now.

honestly stepped controls/linking options etc would take it into the realm of being an "official" mastering EQ and even if the price were 3x it would still be justified. mastering EQ's are friggin *expensive*!!
vasculator
my pair of PEQs is pretty much indispensable. i would leap on a stereo version.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group