MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PEQ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author PEQ
BugBrand
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&pr oducts_id=112

Looks like:

From this morning's mailout:
Quote:
This is something of an experiment - I'd not really planned to make a device like this, but.. a meeting with a Japanese musician and a seeing a piece of old equipment in a Swedish music store.. I wanted such a machine for my own work so a seed was planted.

The PEQ is compact, but ergonomic, with oversized frequency knobs.
Three fully parametric EQ bands (variable Frequency and Width, coupled with 15dB Cut/Boost), bookended by Low and High Cut Filtering.
Ideal for all line level signals, whether in-series on as a desk insert - use it subtly or push it for pronounced effects.
Housed in a custom aluminium case, based on the Modular line (and something that will no doubt be used for other future designs) with striking PCB panel & cheeks.
Worldwide PSU provided.

£180 + shipping [+EU VAT where applicable]

As I say, I see this release as something of an experiment - the full run will initially be only 25 units split over two batches. I am not guaranteeing future availability beyond this, but if feedback is positive then...
opsysbug
Big knobs. I grabbed one.
nanners
flo
Wow looks like an old rotary mixer's isolator brought to modular land applause
BugBrand
I had to google Rotary Mixer ... didn't know the term..

MmmMmm!

(and, yes, truly the PEQ is Modular in size - 3FW)
flo
Yeah that's what I'm talking about hihi The isolator I was referring to is the BIG KNOBS lol
chrisdermo
way too skint to use my overdraft on this.

Tom, please give us at least a good 2 weeks before the next batch!
miditerranean
The PEQ looks really nice! I would have bought one if I had the money today. I'm going to try to get one from the next batch. In the meantime, I'll be anxious to hear any sounds users make with theirs. More specifically, with a BugBrand system.
chrisdermo
i'll second that - would love to hear anything anyone makes with one of these
Paradigm X
I didnt have the cash for the approximately 2 hours these badboys were in stock, which my accountant (!) will thank me for. lol
KNYST
a very inviting design. touchy touchy feely feely w00t
numan7
hmmm..... has the 2nd batch been put up for sale yet?

cheers
BugBrand
Nope!
Soon..
richard
I totally missed this. If it is related to the EQ in the latest PT delay then I think I want one
dogoftears
i would like 99 more pls
shady smiles
dogoftears wrote:
i would like 99 more pls

Now there's an emphatic endorsement! smile

I'm lining the coffers for the next batch too.

This is fun!
BugBrand
Well, I won't do the same version again - been looking a bit over the last year how to make the parts voltage controlled (possibly stereo too) - I've had some test boards since before Christmas, but you know how little building time I've had..

Yes, the PT Delay had the Low & High bands just like on the PEQ.

TA!
shady smiles
BugBrand wrote:
been looking a bit over the last year how to make the parts voltage controlled (possibly stereo too)

eek!

In that case, I'm almost glad I missed the first round!

So. Awesome.
BugBrand
Yeah, but don't hold your breath...
shady smiles
No, no, of course. I'm well aware you've got other fish to fry at the moment. Just excited for what's on the horizon. Have fun Tom!
richard
Stereo would be the thing for my purposes

what I really like is the DJ style "kill" EQs in my mackie d420 mixer, which you can use to silence the band completely or to solo one band. It is not so much the sound, which is quite "mackie", but the function I appreciate which makes it possible to work in quite a radical way

http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/u420/photos/U.42 0_TOP.jpg

with those and the EQ in the PT delay (which seems similar in a way - less radical but sounds better) I am finding new ways of working so I'm definitely interested in where you are going with this idea Tom
tIB
Colour me interested too- I have a pair now which I run in dual mono/stereo, I'd pull those out for mono duties if a stereo version came eventually. Love them to bits!
dogoftears
honestly the first PEQ is so perfect. i don't need VC any thing. i just want a host of them to sculpt every sound in a mix. they are absolutely *excellent* EQ's that stood up really well to all my friends mastering gear when i brought it over. i could pretty much replace most of my software EQ needs with it, it's that sweet-yet-surgical.

the only thing that would take it over the edge for me would be a sharper high pass filter... 2 or 4 pole instead of 1 (its 1pole hpf right?), and Q control on both the HPF and LPF. but not a dealbreaker at all.
tIB
richard wrote:
Stereo would be the thing for my purposes

what I really like is the DJ style "kill" EQs in my mackie d420 mixer, which you can use to silence the band completely or to solo one band. It is not so much the sound, which is quite "mackie", but the function I appreciate which makes it possible to work in quite a radical way

http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/u420/photos/U.42 0_TOP.jpg

with those and the EQ in the PT delay (which seems similar in a way - less radical but sounds better) I am finding new ways of working so I'm definitely interested in where you are going with this idea Tom

That's quite interesting, though I guess mute switches on each band would be another approach worth considering.

To echo what the dogoftears said I've been using mine on the master to buss to very good effect- they are brilliant. I honestly think tom could do some fancy revision to these and charge a shit ton more- balanced I/O, stereo with stepped attenuation and you have a killer mastering EQ.
otoskope
I've looking for a second one, for mastering duties, but if there'll be a CV:ed stereo version, I need look no further! No pressure, Tom... twisted ´

/Palle
BugBrand
Very-slight-changes-from-original-design PEQ will hopefully be starting to roll shortly..
tIB
w00t
numan7
thumbs up hoo-ray!!

cheers
otoskope
Changes so small that it can form a stereo pair with the previous version, or do I need to buy two new ones? hmmm.....
BugBrand
I want to try (on a proto, coming shortly) just a small change that may widen the Q range slightly (per mid band). That's the only possible change in sonic terms, I think - so may not implement it to keep consistent with the old ones.
Will also be changing:
- bypass as toggle switch rather than push
- output will be impedance balanced for improved CMRR when feeding to balanced inputs.
- DC-DC will now be off-board like other 'modules'.

So, basically, should be the same..
indexofmetals
good news Tom, I'll take quite a few. I need to find someway to house them all together, plus a chained power supply
soup
BugBrand wrote:
I want to try (on a proto, coming shortly) just a small change that may widen the Q range slightly (per mid band).

I don't know if this means narrower Q but if so yes please.
BugBrand
Bump to announce the new V2 release today!

Quote:
In the meantime I bring back something of a slow-burn secret - the PEQ Parametric EQ, updated to Version2.
I did 50 of the original PEQ back at the start of 2013 and they've found great favour for sonic processing.
The changes in this version can be seen as a few tweaks to the frequency response along with some structural alterations based on my ongoing learnings:
- Input & Output circuitry updated, including changing the Output to being Impedance Balanced (some background reading: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/zbal.htm)
- Low-Cut filter revised to improve response and widen frequency range
- the three State-Variable Filters (Low/Mid/High-bands) have improved control response along with improved Q range - now wider at the one end and narrower at the other.
- bypass now uses a Toggle Switch
Hopefully the run of boards for these will last a while - 18 are completed for release today, with more to follow: http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop
soup
How much narrower is the Q?

Is it noticeable versus the OG version?
BugBrand
Theory said a change of 1/2 octave to 1/3 - but I should try to do a new demo actually.
Cheradenine
Ordered !
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
ear ear
Cheradenine wrote:
Ordered !
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

Same here! Very excited. w00t hyper screaming goo yo
BugBrand

A pair of PEQ-pairs!
Joined-at-the-hip.
(single DC input too)
soup
^ ^
It's motherfucking bacon yoIt's motherfucking bacon yo
indexofmetals
so you did it!
vasculator
Bugged Endcaps. I absolutely love the PEQ and had to order another so there is one for each Elektron.

[/img]
BugBrand
Thumbsup!
Paranormal Patroler
So you guys reckon these would stand well as a stereo EQ right at the end of the audio chain? I'm thinking it could compliment my live setup nicely. And they look cute to boot.
BugBrand

Well, I did make myself & a couple of other guys some co-joined pairs with stereo work in mind. Certainly works well, though my feeling for ideal would be that I'd much rather have the Low/High cut controls properly tied in stereo (ie. one knob to control left & right together)
BugBrand
The final batch of PEQs for now went on sale yesterday -- that's the end of this run of circuit boards, so it'll be later this year before more can be done..

http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop
cleahy
Just bagged one - woo!
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:

Well, I did make myself & a couple of other guys some co-joined pairs with stereo work in mind. Certainly works well, though my feeling for ideal would be that I'd much rather have the Low/High cut controls properly tied in stereo (ie. one knob to control left & right together)

basically it works but yeah no two PEQ's are perfectly matched, so settings are slightly different on the right and left side for stereo work. this is fine for the studio cus i can just balance each side with a test oscillator and digital meters, any time i've used it live i always take a bunch of photo's of my settings for recall.

this is normal by the way-- if you give a knob say +/- 15 dB of gain there is no way to control where each value in btwn will fall on the knobs swing. the only way around this is rotary switch knobs which of course adds significantly to cost (and QC/testing!)....

if the controls were ganged using a single pot i suppose this also solves the issue? but then you lose the ability to have two mono PEQ's. so yeah, the give n the take.
BugBrand
dogoftears wrote:
basically it works but yeah no two PEQ's are perfectly matched, so settings are slightly different on the right and left side for stereo work. this is fine for the studio cus i can just balance each side with a test oscillator and digital meters, any time i've used it live i always take a bunch of photo's of my settings for recall.

this is normal by the way-- if you give a knob say +/- 15 dB of gain there is no way to control where each value in btwn will fall on the knobs swing. the only way around this is rotary switch knobs which of course adds significantly to cost (and QC/testing!)....

if the controls were ganged using a single pot i suppose this also solves the issue? but then you lose the ability to have two mono PEQ's. so yeah, the give n the take.

The stereo approach would likely be Voltage Controlled - not only for potential CV fun, but mainly so that you could properly avoid the issues you mention.
richard
I have been using my pair for mastering. Sonically I think they really do cut it but controlwise obviously not really... no clear matching or repeatability. Fortunately nothing I have mastered using them has come back for a retweak yet!

All in all a very impressive bit of kit, its very hard to imagine what else could come near at the price as well. But stepped controls, selectable ganging and balanced inputs would send this into the next dimension. For me the extra cost would definitely be worth it.
dogoftears
richard wrote:
I have been using my pair for mastering. Sonically I think they really do cut it but controlwise obviously not really... no clear matching or repeatability. Fortunately nothing I have mastered using them has come back for a retweak yet!

All in all a very impressive bit of kit, its very hard to imagine what else could come near at the price as well. But stepped controls, selectable ganging and balanced inputs would send this into the next dimension. For me the extra cost would definitely be worth it.

glad to hear yr also mastering stuff with it richard. some how it really does work just like some of the 20x more expensive counter parts. i've found you can get the PEQs to match pretty good with a test osc. just set it with your ears, then go thru each band and approximate the frequency on a test oscillator, and match the gain for each side. it's not 100% perfect but should get you within .5 dB matching... actually i can get em pretty near perfect... it sounds arduous but after doing it a bunch it only takes me about a minute now.

honestly stepped controls/linking options etc would take it into the realm of being an "official" mastering EQ and even if the price were 3x it would still be justified. mastering EQ's are friggin *expensive*!!
vasculator
my pair of PEQs is pretty much indispensable. i would leap on a stereo version.
BugBrand
OK - all very interesting (and kind!).

What has constantly de-railed my thoughts has been making a stereo version a bit more ...bug... - the usual imagination running away and likely over-complexifying it all.

eg - my most prominent idea to date had been something where you'd have a general stereo approach (ie. not really aiming for dual mono independence) - Low & High cut would be straight-up single freq controls, but middle cut-boost bands (2 or 3 or more) would perhaps have some sort of divergence or independence for L/R sides. I never came to anything I was very happy with.

The points brought out here:
-> stepped controls - I'm wondering how this would fit with more general use and I have a feeling that it wouldn't be so easy to have it as an option (unsure on this point)
-> balanced input - shouldn't be too complex at all
->ganging - depends a lot on the overall design approaches, but I can certainly see ways for independent mono / ganged stereo

My gut probably feels more like pursuing something stereo FUN rather than Master quality, but.. all makes me ponder. I certainly would like a proper stereo setup for my own use, so I guess that answers some questions...
richard
I don't think there is anything "bugs" about it and I don't think it matters TBH Tom. I think you have come damned close to creating a great general purpose EQ that could be tweaked for mastering. That is quite a feat for someone who perhaps wasn't really trying! My view is a bit simpler. I like what you've done, go further and I will surely stay with it! Perhaps its not your interest though, I get that too...

I am comparing it with my pair of Amek 9098s BTW - your EQ has more character, more vibe
dogoftears
richard wrote:
I don't think there is anything "bugs" about it and I don't think it matters TBH Tom. I think you have come damned close to creating a great general purpose EQ that could be tweaked for mastering. That is quite a feat for someone who perhaps wasn't really trying! My view is a bit simpler. I like what you've done, go further and I will surely stay with it! Perhaps its not your interest though, I get that too...

I am comparing it with my pair of Amek 9098s BTW - your EQ has more character, more vibe

what he said, for realz!

it has great character but also surgical abilities galore if you go in the reductive direction. i've do some very effective narrow-q cuts in the high end with this thing.
tIB
Not a lot to add really other than my pair have sat on the master bus to excellent effect since getting them in the first run. Very happy with them for that purpose- as I said back them they sound way more expensive than they actually are!

Im interested in the v2's (nadrower right?) but am holding off for a more radical upgrade- all those things would be very nice, the stepped attenuators probably the bit I could most live without, although certainly see the benefit there.

Yes please!
blue_lu
Very intereste in a dedicated stereo version...
lich
just echoing that i would love a stereo version of this or even just a rerelease of the peq 2 tbh
BugBrand
Stereo - I started sketching and thinking exactly how I'd do it - did quite a lot a couple of months back (came up with a lovely powerful layout! but the behind-the-scenes is way more complex than may be imagined..). So, in essence, I ought to get back to the project again..

Regular PEQs (v2, of course) - coming back to availability very soon!
(join the mailing list..)
glia
just hacked together a "dj" set for a family barbeque with this thing and a small mackie...running thru a bass amp

got unexpectedly great sound tho

my brother was trying to figure out how i was getting such clarity in the mids and highs and i pointed at the PEQ

pretty hilarious
BugBrand
Ha! Nice one!
Gringo Starr
So there is a stereo pair in the works? Ever consider making a rack?
rodneyelevator
My buddy just picked up a PEQ from you yesterday. Needless to say I was straight to his house after work for some wiggling.

What an absolute beast of a box! You really have outdone yourself on the design for this one.
I cannot believe how many awful sounds we threw at this box and a few tweaks later, boom, they sound warm and lovely.

If some more become available I will definitely be buying one.

And to anyone else that is thinking about...

Don't even think about it, just buy it!
ginorobair
Second that!

thumbs up
rodneyelevator wrote:

Don't even think about it, just buy it!
BugBrand
Thanks Rodney!
I actually do mean to get one in Elevator sound for ongoing demo, but I never quite seem to get ahead (maybe you were in last time I popped in to chat with Marko?)
I've got a few more to finish up imminently, so drop me a line (email best) - can easily drop one down to the shop.
Ta, Tom
mafouka
Lots of unconditional love for my PEQ. . . It's extremely useful for sculpting modular sounds or phattening up cheap gear with weak signals.

A stereo version would be the bugs knees indeed. . . Especially considering the un-affordability of rotary mixers like the djm400.
BugBrand
Cheers!
Believe me, I've been playing a lot with simulations to try to figure how to do a stereo version - but it is way more complex than the mono one -> lots and lots of VCAs [4 or 5 per mono band - so could be 30-40 for a stereo unit!]
Weird world those rotary mixers.. That DJR400 has popped onto my radar a few times.
flo
Two mates of mine once tried to get a four channel hi quality DJ mixer running with an isolator, similar to the DJR400. Ended up costing a lot more for a half-working prototype that they never finished...
harlequin
+1 for stereo PEQ!

Features for me:

Ganged controls.
Envelopes
Voltage controll
BugBrand
It is a slow cook, for sure - because I've got four or five major areas of investigation ongoing.

I have just about zoned in on the actual filtering design - very close to my state-variable cores, but with some particular tweaks such as constant amplitude as Q varies.
Still need to finalise the exact method for +/- gain.

This is looking at it in a building-block approach - the same filter & gain blocks are used for each band (with just a few changes for changing from a bell to a shelf).

As I say, very heavy on the VCAs!

Current idea is to have a 5FW mono unit and a full frame stereo unit which could be twin mono or switched for ganged stereo.
Each would likely be four bands (outer two either shelving or switchable bell/shelf - mid two just bell), maybe with additional Hi/Lo-pass filtering bookending (not sure how to fit that)
Full Balanced I/O.

VC parts would be:
- Freq per band
- Gain (+/-) per band
--- I would almost certainly not put VC-resonance even though the circuit could allow it.

Given that it is so VCA intensive (and a big-ass project that won't be finished within 6 months at the very earliest -- and because I'm interested in other EQ-ing areas so have been thinking outside the PEQ bounds) I did a test idea up -- it was a bit of a failure but could be an avenue to pursue further (as I say, different from the PEQ)

Stereo (balanced I/O), each side gets split into 8 bands (BP filters) with each band followed by a VCA (ganged control). Exact freq-band choices was slightly top-of-head with approx 2.5 oct spacing - has already been suggested going above 20kHz - or maybe adding switching per-band (do-able but greatly increases expense/complexity)

My failures in this iteration:::
- should have implemented linear amplitude control - easy to fix
- bands were way too wide.. far too much interaction between bands.. must think again about suitable BP design
[the saturate switch was just to see what it sounded like with zener clipping on the output summing stage - not sure on that side of things for now]

Would be interesting to hear comments..

blue_lu
WOW! Very sexy!

So the bands are fixed (as oposed to the original PEQ design)?
BugBrand
Yep - it is like a stereo fixed filter bank (with VCA summing mixer)
glia
good gracious I want that
wednesdayayay
I have been dreaming about red bug boxes to go with my ciat lonbarde setup this is very interesting

As I have promised myself I wouldn't buy any sound sources for a while but this fits nicely into loop hole territory applause

What voltages will the banana jacks expect?
tIB
Interesting stuff- the picture has a look of a bug riff on (half of) a buchla 296. The interesting thing in that (to me) is ability to vary the bandwidth- sounds amazing when you take the bands really narrow and vc the frequency. I knownyou dont have variable bandwidth planned at this point but well, ill mention it anyway. Also, pushing this to the edge of resonance would be amazing- again, not the way you are taking it but...

I do like a fixed filter bank though and will watch how this develops.
blue_lu
glia wrote:
good gracious I want that

+1
wednesdayayay
I have never messed with something like this so I can't really help with suggestions too much
Expander with individual band outs would be rad banana or otherwise
Pre vca stereo outs?
Expander envelope follower per band we're not worthy
Just throwing things out there
BugBrand
I should certainly say that this is a very early idea with absolutely no promise of anything actually coming out soon or far off. Even a quick design takes nearly a year to reach production and this is just some toe-dipping to see how the electronics work and feel (result, as I said, was disappointment but that gives a lot of work potential).

I also envisage this as a studio-processor (ie. like my red designs) rather than a pure modular design (ie. like blue designs) - filling a particular production need - kind of a master EQ but with less complicated insides than the PEQ ideas I've been mentioning above..

Perhaps the bananas confuse things and I'm not sure I'd really want/need them personally - they are kind of a bi-product of these stereo-eq designs as everything is Voltage controlled internally so that you can gang controls (while note using ridiculous custom multigang pots etc).

I could, though, see this going a different way - a more modular approach - with lots of things 'broken' out. Would fill a full frame in no time...
I doubt I'd do an expander for a red design though.. I see these as different areas in general.

I never really understood all the concepts within the 296 (never really tried). Could sure be interesting with env-follows etc, but that seems to me like a different design brief.

PS - all my banana designs expect a 10V p-to-p signal as standard (but most things are accepted just fine)
dogoftears
for me this unit having jack ins and banana cv's makes plenty of sense. i love the idea of a stereo unit that i can run full program material into and warp the shit out of it with VC per band that i plug into all manner of modular sources. the potential for this in my mind is nearly limitless, especially when i think of it in terms of a twisted "remix" tool.

looking forward to developments on this puppy.
KNYST
Interesting piece of equipment. Nice work.
indexofmetals
looks very interesting Tom!

I agree with below as well, hook up one of your joysticks to this and it'd be a great live remix tool.

dogoftears wrote:
for me this unit having jack ins and banana cv's makes plenty of sense. i love the idea of a stereo unit that i can run full program material into and warp the shit out of it with VC per band that i plug into all manner of modular sources. the potential for this in my mind is nearly limitless, especially when i think of it in terms of a twisted "remix" tool.
BugBrand
Maybe I *should* look into vocoder designs (some parts would likely be similar)
Should also do a multi-band resonator - BPs based on the SV-core.
tIB
Multiband resonator has been one of my bug dreams since um, I sold my res4! As for bananas if it is in there bringing it to the front makes sense to me.
bennettvfx
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a Bugbrand PEQ, has any one got one for sale or know of where I can source one? Any info would be amazing, thanks!
BugBrand
I've still got boards for more - but exactly when I'll do up another batch I can't fully say right now. Sometime Jan-Mar 2017 most likely.

Join the mailing list via The Bug Contact Page if you haven't already.
rowsbywoof
Hey Tom, I know you hinted at a stereo version of the PEQ in the future, and I know the answer of this is probably, "Too early to know," but figured I'd ask if that's still on the burner, and will that be a new design or essentially just two PEQs in a 6U box? smile
indexofmetals
I highly recommend the "two PEQs in a 6U box". I'm on a mixing mission till early January when I am likely going to have to sell my Chandler Curve Bender but I've been using it with a pair of PEQ's and JLM Pultec type EQ's for a while now and the PEQ's easily integrate with the others.

The only thing I wish the PEQ had was a mix (wet/dry) control so I could fade in more extreme settings (used more with mono signals) but I get around that with another pedal within a loop setup.
dogoftears
indexofmetals wrote:
I highly recommend the "two PEQs in a 6U box". I'm on a mixing mission till early January when I am likely going to have to sell my Chandler Curve Bender but I've been using it with a pair of PEQ's and JLM Pultec type EQ's for a while now and the PEQ's easily integrate with the others.

The only thing I wish the PEQ had was a mix (wet/dry) control so I could fade in more extreme settings (used more with mono signals) but I get around that with another pedal within a loop setup.

wire it as an fx send on your mixer?
or use 2 dacs/2adcs (not sure how your mixing-- ITB, analog, combo, etc)
it's not typical to use an EQ in parallel so i wouldn't call it an essential feature. that said i do like to use colored EQ's/extreme EQ settings in that very way. i've got a few ways to run parallel over here.

how do you like the curve bender? i have a bunch of EQ's, but my fave right now is the Hendyamps Michelangelo... which I'm mostly using in parallel.
BugBrand
rowsbywoof wrote:
Hey Tom, I know you hinted at a stereo version of the PEQ in the future, and I know the answer of this is probably, "Too early to know," but figured I'd ask if that's still on the burner, and will that be a new design or essentially just two PEQs in a 6U box? :)

I'm still dragging my heels on it because it is way more complex than 2 PEQs in one box. I pretty much know how to do the circuitry, but the design is massive and needs real focus to progress.

Still slightly wondering whether I do it with full voltage control as standard (in which case it'd likely be a full 11FW unit) or have a VC-expander option (eg. 6FW main unit and 5FW expander).
tIB
I also have a pair I use on the master bus- it's an incredible eq. Voltage control is interesting but not for that purpose imho- would make it a different beast: still interesting but not overly suited to the uses I am most aware of people loving this for. With that in mind Id suggest expander for CV.
BugBrand
tIB wrote:
I also have a pair I use on the master bus- it's an incredible eq. Voltage control is interesting but not for that purpose imho- would make it a different beast: still interesting but not overly suited to the uses I am most aware of people loving this for. With that in mind Id suggest expander for CV.

Yeah, that's along my line of thinking in many ways.
The key is that the stereo approach design is, by its very nature, built around voltage controlled elements (VCFs and VCAs - lots and lots of them). I could just hide or ignore that fact because, yes, I'm not entirely sure of the desire/need for voltage control in a design like this.
Paranormal Patroler
I think that the expander option is best. VC isn't that important in an EQ but if someone does need it it can be available. So which of the above mentioned ideas will you be adding in the stereo version?
BugBrand
Will likely be HighPass (freq & res), four mid bands (freq, bandwidth, cut/boost), LowPass (freq & res again).

The fact that every one of these parameters could be voltage controlled does certainly offer some potential!
tIB
An extra band means I'd be down for one, and I'd probably have a play with voltage control if it were avaliable, especially with resonance. I dare say it would see a different usage than the pair I already have. Did I mention how much I love them?
indexofmetals
dogoftears wrote:

wire it as an fx send on your mixer?
or use 2 dacs/2adcs (not sure how your mixing-- ITB, analog, combo, etc)
it's not typical to use an EQ in parallel so i wouldn't call it an essential feature. that said i do like to use colored EQ's/extreme EQ settings in that very way. i've got a few ways to run parallel over here.

how do you like the curve bender? i have a bunch of EQ's, but my fave right now is the Hendyamps Michelangelo... which I'm mostly using in parallel.

I wasn't very clear, this is for when I'm using the PEQ within an effects chain, usually for a gig. sometimes the Nord 4 can get a bit peaky and I usually tone it down with a PEQ and a tube preamp.

For mixing I parallel eq and compression, usually feeding the same stereo mix through two sets of different eq's & comps.

The curvebender is pretty special and it definitely finishes a mix in the best way possible . I have a pair of JLM PEQ500's as well which work well with the PEQ so I probably have enough with the pairs of PEQ's and the JLM Pair.
neuroportal
Question on PEQ v2s and using on unbalanced insert (A&H Zed if anyone interested). What would be the correct/best way of getting the return wired?
BugBrand
Try it simply with a Y insert cable - should be fine.
If not then we can look at the Rane app note - http://www.rane.com/note110.html
neuroportal
Awesome. Thank you.

BTW - i was't aware of the Rane info. What a fantastic resource!
Paranormal Patroler
Yeah, thanks for that link.
drox
Just wanted to post to see if the PEQ will potentially be offered for sale again at any point?
BugBrand
Yes!
Not many boards remaining.. but should offer a few at the end of June.
neuroportal
BugBrand wrote:
Try it simply with a Y insert cable - should be fine.
If not then we can look at the Rane app note - http://www.rane.com/note110.html

For reference - I can confirm this works no problems in an A&H Zed mixer.
drox
BugBrand wrote:
Yes!
Not many boards remaining.. but should offer a few at the end of June.

awesome, just signed up to the mailing list to make sure I don't miss one screaming goo yo
BugBrand
The last 2 PEQs are online now - that's the end of the run then and I'll probably be changing to a new version beyond this.

http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop
Paranormal Patroler
New version? Any insights ?
BugBrand
Still working on it but similar-ish.
Likely improving the HP/LP sections (steeper slope) & adding resonance.
Tweak to the mid bands - probably only 2 but capable of covering the full audio spectrum.
Still non-VC.
Also to bring it more into line with other designs aesthetically.
Petur
BugBrand wrote:
Still working on it but similar-ish.
Likely improving the HP/LP sections (steeper slope) & adding resonance.
Tweak to the mid bands - probably only 2 but capable of covering the full audio spectrum.
Still non-VC.
Also to bring it more into line with other designs aesthetically.

Stereo? =)
BugBrand
That idea was mono again, to replace the now-retired PEQ.
Stereo is still a pipe-dream that never seems to move.
wednesdayayay
I like the sounds of this!
Petur
Well, you gotta have dreams =)

The updates seems really nice nonetheless!
Kalerne
Dear Bug,
Will we have a new batch of PEQ before the end of the year ?
Any chance to see a stereo version soon or later ?
BugBrand
Afraid not -- the old version is retired and I've not made too much headway with a replacement yet.
Kalerne
Thanks for the reply, I'll be patient. :-)
harlequin
Is it possible to modify the dual mono versions so that the pots on one channe; control the other?
BugBrand
I'm afraid not.. one of the struggles I've had with updating the design and/or making a proper stereo version.
depth20
Any progress with the new PEQ?
BugBrand
Only a tiny bit - nowhere near as yet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 5