MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Blacet system
Ted2
Hey guys,

I have the beginnings of a Blacet system-- a VCO, Filthy Filtre, and Super VCA. Here is how I have planned out the rest of my system:

RACK 1: VCO, Sequential Scanner, Micro LFO, EG1, Filthy Filtre, Super VCA

RACK 2: VCO, Sequential Switch, Micro LFO, Improbability Drive, Binary Zone, Mini Wave

RACK 3: VCO, FX/Reverb, Window Comparator, I/O, Bar Graph, MIDIverter

I am a bit of a noob at this, so I am not sure if this would be the optimal set up. Is there anything I should change?

Thanks,
Ted
Cybananna
You need to get a mixer in there. I think the supervca will function as a mixer but you will be using it for vca's I assume. I have two of the old quad mix vca's that I can use for mixing or as vca's. If the supervca has that function you could drop something and add another supervca.

For example, the bar graph is a cool useful module, but typically not essential.

Blacet stuff is great and fun to use. I have 9u of blacet and love it to death. The IMPROBABILITY DRIVE is one of my favorites. I have two!

The miniwave is the best, and the binary zone ( I have it's cousin the Frequency Divider) should be tons of fun.

Your choice of modules can vary based on your personal needs, but the only concern I see is lack of mixing abilities.
Ted2
Hmmm, okay. Do you think that I should replace one of the VCOs, or the bar graph and the midiverter, with another super VCA?
parasitk
Seems you're kind of light on envelopes. Perhaps swap the Bar Graph with a DAD?
Ted2
Alright, done-- thanks! Do you think that'll suffice in terms of envelopes?
Norman_Phay
I would concentrate on making a synthesizer voice first of all, and also not get too involved in layout, you'll be shifting stuff around for a bit I'm sure.

As you have VCO, VCF and VCA, I would concentrate on modulation sources, I would get a DAD and an EG1 and maybe a micro-LFO, then I would get another VCO and a mixer, the mixer/processor is very versatile. Also a Mult/Att is pretty essential unless you're using stack-cables. That would give you a nice-sounding synthesizer voice that can do all of the standard stuff, and loads beyond that. Then I would just add stuff as I fancy it, whatever sounds interesting, grab it one or two modules at a time.
e-grad
It would be good to know what kind of music you're into.

However, personally I'd think a 3 rack system would need more envelopes. A freq. divider is cool as well.

When I started out with a modular my intention was to replace my MS50 which was stolen. You might want to get some inspiration from a vintage synth that has a clever layout, too.

Blacet currently does not sell any ring modulator but forum member krisp1 does:
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&p roducts_id=36

I'd recommend to gradually approach your 3 racks to make sure you're going to add what your usage tells you is needed.

Glad to see that you're into Blacet. He makes realy outstanding modules. The most underrated make IMO.
Ted2
thanks for the help, i really appreciate it! i would probably say that i am into ambient music, and melodic electronica stuff. so i think i will go for d/a/d next (i am a highschooler, so my funds are quite limited-- have to take this a module at a time Dead Banana ) then do as you guys have suggested, add an eg1 and a micro lfo then add on to that.
tIB
If you see one on the used market get the klangwerk- great module.

Be interested to know how you are rocking that ID cybananna, I got one recently but havent clicked as yet.
Norman_Phay
One module at a time (or maybe 2) is actually by far the best way to build a modular up. I never got why someone would drop some huge amount of scratch on a bunch of stuff all at once and then have to deal w figuring out how it all interacts in one go. That seems to be the norm though?

Agreed about the klangwerk, that is an outstanding module.
Ted2
Do you think it would be worth it to put in some Metalbox? their pricing is very appealing.
e-grad
Most of the Metalbox modules are based on circuits by Ken Stone/CGS who's a great reputation for his designs. I've never seen the Metalbox stuff in real life but my synth features several CGS modules. Some of them don't get a lot use but the Burst Gen. is part of each and every patch I do.

Some of Ken's designs are very esoteric so I cannot tell for example whether my modulo magic works properly or has a building error. zombie
tIB
The metalbox stuff is fantastic too!
synthcube
I understand blacet is also selling a limited batch of Time Machine kits which is a great analog delay
Ted2
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem-- I have just found out that I may or may not be moving to Eastern Europe, and so shipping from Blacet would cost a bunch. So I think that I am going to go for two racks (to finish before I leave) instead of three, and then start a Eurorack. Can one PS505 power two racks of Frac? I saw on the Blacet website that it can usually power 20 modules, but I will have some 1.5" modules, so it would be a bit more than 20. I don't really want to buy a whole new PS505 just to power 2 or 3 more modules. What should I do?

Thanks,
Ted
Ted2
snip, double post
Ted2
snip, errr, triple post
rezzn8r
1 PSU should do 2 racks, but the only way to be sure is to do the math.
This thread should help you find the mA rating for your planned modules;
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1486
slow_riot
also beware that if you have anything shipped into the EU you will need to pay an additional 20% import tax. I would advise you to fill your suitcases!
Ted2
Hold on, I can't do math apparently-- 2 racks is only 10ish modules. Okay, so that solves that problem, now I just need to get those modules!

Since I am planning on complementing this with Eurorack, I'm going make sure I get the Mini Wave, Binary Zone, Improbability Drive, FX/Reverb Processor and maybe a Frequency Divider.
Ted2
Ouch, that's pretty hefty! Thanks for the heads up!
dogoftears
Ted2 wrote:
Hold on, I can't do math apparently-- 2 racks is only 10ish modules. Okay, so that solves that problem, now I just need to get those modules!

Since I am planning on complementing this with Eurorack, I'm going make sure I get the Mini Wave, Binary Zone, Improbability Drive, FX/Reverb Processor and maybe a Frequency Divider.

i would cross out the fx processor and go for another EG1 or if you really want FX get the Time Machine kit he is selling right now, most who have used it (myself included, i have two) would agree it is the best sounding analog delay. and the EG1 because even amongst all the options in euroland it is one of the sickest envelopes i have used, with VC of every stage and incredibly tight or long timing, can be used for so many different applications.
binary zone and miniwave are absolute musts. frequency divider is cool, but so is window comparator (especially when paired w/ BZ) so keep yr eye on that too.
Ted2
Alright, I think I'll just get an FX module in Euro-- thanks for the recommendation on the eg1, i've heard a lot of good things about it! I think that is going to be my next module.
dogoftears
Ted2 wrote:
Alright, I think I'll just get an FX module in Euro-- thanks for the recommendation on the eg1, i've heard a lot of good things about it! I think that is going to be my next module.

also it spits out a full (proper) 10 volts so it will open yr frac VCA's aaalll the way. beware most eg's in euro are 0-5v or 0-8v (dont know where the 8 thing came from) and therefore won't open your blacet VCA's all the way (sacrificing some headroom in the process... lame for a modular). so you may want to load up on modulation sources in yr frac to make sure you always have something in the proper voltage range.

off topic but for fx in euro check out the echophon. it's killer.
Samuron
dogoftears wrote:
i would cross out the fx processor and go for another EG1 or if you really want FX get the Time Machine kit he is selling right now, most who have used it (myself included, i have two) would agree it is the best sounding analog delay.

Good advice, especially since the Time Machine pulls 95ma by itself, and the FX is another 87; having both makes it tricky to get 10 modules out of a PS505.

Edited to add:

Looking at your first post again, you're already using 224ma; the SuperVCA is a big draw. Even without the FX, the Time Machine will put you almost 40 over a single PS505 with the other modules you want.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2