MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Epic lame-ness. Local parts store closed..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Epic lame-ness. Local parts store closed..
wetterberg
yes, it's the weekend, I need a 4017 and a bowl of 100k resistors (you always run out of those, it seems) - I get on the bus with my son and go down to the store... to find it emptied, painted and abandoned.

I love online shopping as much as the next man, but it's SO incredibly handy to have access to that stuff locally.

Anyone else isolated from parts-stores?
doctorvague
wetterberg wrote:
yes, it's the weekend, I need a 4017 and a bowl of 100k resistors (you always run out of those, it seems) - I get on the bus with my son and go down to the store... to find it emptied, painted and abandoned.

I love online shopping as much as the next man, but it's SO incredibly handy to have access to that stuff locally.

Anyone else isolated from parts-stores?

I'm isolated by choice by moving to a small town. We do have a Radio Shack but they have eliminated probably over half of the parts that they used to carry, especially DIY kind of stuff. They mostly take the cheapest Chinese stuff possible and mark it up like 20X or something so not a lot of love lost there. Still, they have a few handy odds and ends and I'm grateful for that on a Sunday.

Back when I lived in Kansas City we had a large parts store. I especially liked just browsing around for odd stuff, buying nice nippers on sale and having a knowledgable person help when picking out a soldering station, etc. Sometimes an actual human is nice instead of datasheets!
Peake
Even Los Angeles is bleeding out...Marvac Dow in Culver City is gone, All Electronic's main store downtown closed, Yale and Ametron have passed...we're left with only a few, spread out rather far. Wah...
bubblesound
Peake wrote:
Even Los Angeles is bleeding out...Marvac Dow in Culver City is gone, All Electronic's main store downtown closed, Yale and Ametron have passed...we're left with only a few, spread out rather far. Wah...

well, at least there's the All Electronics in the valley + Apex
the one store that's anywhere close to me in NYC is about 1 hour away in New Jersey by train. the only problem, it's a commuter train that only runs from 7Am-10AM and 4PM -8PM. so it's f'n radio shack and online ordering for me...
doctorvague
bubblesound wrote:
f'n radio shack and online ordering for me...

Did they mention they're running a special on batteries?
And wireless plans. hihi
sduck
We're down to one local shop, which mostly caters to electricians and account customers and looks at me funny whenever I try to buy my little handfuls of stuff. It's still the best bet for hookup wire and odd little hardware items.

At least locally the rat shacks are all independantly managed and different - some of them are still pretty good, although the stuff they sell is generally lousy. The one closest to my house gets a lot of business from me, and they're on to my "hobby", and pretend to show some interest in what I'm building currently. And then they try to sell me a phone.
goiks
doctorvague wrote:

I'm isolated by choice by moving to a small town.

ditto. just spent 6 hours putting together smallbear/mouser orders. klee, fonik ps3100, fonik sequential switch, 4x VCS (2 euro), cgs matrix mixer, cgs slope detector, 2x t. henry mega percussive synthesizer. yes, the dark nights are going to be getting longer...
jarvis
i still have yet to find a place in chicago to 'just drop by'. that blows my mind. of course there's a shack a block away from me, though I have all my cell phone needs taken care of.
chromium
doctorvague wrote:
bubblesound wrote:
f'n radio shack and online ordering for me...

Did they mention they're running a special on batteries?
And wireless plans. hihi

hihi

Radio crack is f-ing dead to me. Its a shame the bricks and mortar places got swallowed up. RS had the mother of all stores here about ten years ago, and I could find all sorts of components there. Long gone now. That would've been great for those d'oh! moments when I realize I forgot a $.17 op-amp on my Mouser order. Maybe I wouldn't be doing Mouser orders to begin with, if it were still here!

I saw this recently:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/7-13-years/beb3/

... and had a flashback to those old "radio experimenter" project boards that RS used to sell when I was a kid - back when they sold realtively cool stuff (had a Realistic MG-1 too love ) . I remember going there and a place called Gateway Electronics when I was growing up in Houston, TX. Part of the fun was digging thru the parts bins and finding stuff that would inspire new ideas (this was in my SDIY v. 1.0 days).

Its hard to experience that same inspiration on Mouser's (or Jameco's, Newark's, Allied's, ....) website very frustrating angry hmmm..... POW!
berfmurret
wow! surprising how few of these types of stores there are.. i am lucky enough to have one just two blocks from my apt that stocks quite a few electronic goodies, they wouldn't be open if they didn't have a contract with the army base here. i have run into a couple of occasions where they didn't stock something i needed.. last thing was something really simple like a small alpha 250k pot.. bummer. Rage!

oh yea. we gots rat shacks here too... ugh.
johnnymad
there was a great electronics store a couple of exits away from my apartment in cincinnati. it was really nice to just drive down the interstate and pick up pretty much whatever i wanted. the worst part is that i didn't really get deep into diy until AFTER i moved away from there. d'oh!
science
chromium wrote:
RS had the mother of all stores here about ten years ago, and I could find all sorts of components there. Long gone now. That would've been great for those d'oh! moments when I realize I forgot a $.17 op-amp on my Mouser order.

...then ran to RS to find out that their price is $2.59 confused
neandrewthal
Haha, if I need something in a rush I'll just hit up digikey rather than go to rat shack. I'd rather pay the $8 shipping than buy rat shacks overpriced garbage. In fact I just ordered a CD4053 I forgot for my klee the other night at 7:53 PM. Got it the following morning eek!
DGTom
double eek! eek! thats awesome turn around...

I feel the crap / lack of parts sellers pain... I have found a way around the 20X markup & totally clueless shop boys... grab the ICs etc. you need, find a part number tray with a price you think is fair & quote them that when you hit the counter, they will be so relieved they don't have to search thru the 'big book' they'll ring it up no probs! I know this is dishonest but tbh I feel no guilt dupeing a kid who looks at a resistor & tries to figure out 'which side is positive' ... & he was one of the good ones! he actually knew that some parts are polarized woah

I've also taken to crawling around looking for the trays where they dump stuff thats been discontinued... dual gang 50K/100K linear pots for 11c.. thankyou kindly!
NV
I'm in a relatively remote area, so pretty much anything beyond 14AWG wire has to come from an online parts supplier. There is a RadioShack about fifteen miles away from me that's smaller than an average gas station and carries such a limited selection of parts that you would be lucky to find anything beyond a handful of 5% resistors priced at $2 for 5.

Considering the hassle and cost of traveling out there for a few resistors, I've learned to be very meticulous when placing my online orders and calling to report a missed part the second the package arrives. That and patience, since most companies have almost always shipped me one bag of a couple components that were the wrong value in every order.
TrashWaveform
None around here and I live less then an hour from Tulsa which amazingly lacks a part store. So anything I want even the smallest fucking knob cover I am going to have to buy online, pay an outrageous shipping fee, and wait two weeks when I want it now. So I try to stock up on everything as possible even if I don't need it.

We obviously have Radio Shacks but I don't buy from them because I want them to finally die off.
valis
My condolences Wetterberg. For years I lived in a smaller rural town and the only store available to me was the dreaded Radio Shack. There's one other electronics parts store in the city I live in now but they're so expensive and clueless it may as well be Radio Shack.

Talking about f**cking Radio Shack, I just went there today and bought one MPF-102 transistor for $1.29!!! I stood there for a long time considering if I could really justify paying that much for something I could buy for 10 times cheaper online. I finally decided that I really wanted to do the project today and coughed up the money begrudgingly. Meh..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1