MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone working with Processing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Anyone working with Processing?
tranzfuse
Hey dudes,

I've started messing around with Processing the last week or so and the near first thing that came to mind was "can I get my modular to control some sketches within Processing?"

The likely answer is yes, and I was wondering what the chain looks like...

my guess is something like:

Modular -> ES2 (I use Silent Way, but don't have ES2 yet) -> Ableton (in my case) -> (something else?) -> Processing

I see that there are a couple of MIDI libraries out there for Processing in both Java and JavaScript (my preference) that can assist with processing the MIDI data.

Any experiences or ideas to share? I've not done a ton of research yet, just thought I'd crowd source you lot to get me going in the right direction.

Cheers.

Adam
Bricks
I use Processing and OSC a lot. http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/oscP5/ is a great OSC library (I use it for illucia and all my games). Super easy to use and definitely worth checking out

I haven't tried using silent way to send OSC but I bet it'd work great / be a blast.
(I've done some rudimentary voltage->arduino->serial->osc experiments and used those to control processing apps and it is tremendously fun!)
tranzfuse
Nice, thanks Bricks. You've already pointed me in an interesting direction w00t I'd love to hear more about how you're using Processing and OSC.

It looks like I can use Silent Way's CV to MIDI (or OSC) plugin to broadcast MIDI (or OSC) messages to some target outside of Ableton. I *think* I can use an IAC driver as a target, and then, using this R & W MIDI lib for Processing, listen for the MIDI messages being broadcast from the IAC driver...that's TBD, but sounds reasonable.

So far I've been able to listen to MIDI coming from my machinedrum and draw ellipses to the screen in Processing Guinness ftw! That R & W MIDI library had me up and running in 5 minutes actually, which is awesome.
Bricks
tranzfuse wrote:

So far I've been able to listen to MIDI coming from my machinedrum and draw ellipses to the screen in Processing Guinness ftw! That R & W MIDI library had me up and running in 5 minutes actually, which is awesome.

love we're not worthy screaming goo yo
Matos
If you figure out anything cool you need to teach me. I'm trying to learn it as we speak. I can let you borrow my book if you swing by. Guinness ftw!
tranzfuse
Matos wrote:
If you figure out anything cool you need to teach me. I'm trying to learn it as we speak. I can let you borrow my book if you swing by. Guinness ftw!

No way! I've literally just started poking around a week ago so I don't know anything. What book did you pick up? And we have to hang soon.

A coworker turned me onto this book by Daniel Shiffman, http://natureofcode.com/book/
that I've started reading. I am digging what I am learning and doing so far.

Naturally I want to get the modular involved if I can. I might need that ES-2 module to actually have the modular control the MIDI data I send to Processing (via Silent Way/Ableton).

Keep me updated on your progress.
poppinger
Can't contribute much as far as expertise goes, but Rui Penha's stuff makes me really want to learn how to use Processing.

He made a set of mini-apps called Spatium for stereo imaging using OSC and it is all open source.

I'm a little unclear on how the parts built with Max and the ones built with Processing interact. However, this set of apps definitely seems to use Processing, so it might be worth downloading and poking around in there.
tranzfuse
poppinger wrote:
Can't contribute much as far as expertise goes, but Rui Penha's stuff makes me really want to learn how to use Processing.

He made a set of mini-apps called Spatium for stereo imaging using OSC and it is all open source.

I'm a little unclear on how the parts built with Max and the ones built with Processing interact. However, this set of apps definitely seems to use Processing, so it might be worth downloading and poking around in there.

Wow. Looks incredible, thank you for sharing. I'll definitely take a closer look at this.
jonah
Arduino!

I had dismissed Arduino as tech gadget geek shit until I learned the language was based on Processing and discovered it was my kinda geek shit, great for quickly and cheaply making interactive music tools.
tranzfuse
jonah wrote:
Arduino!

I had dismissed Arduino as tech gadget geek shit until I learned the language was based on Processing and discovered it was my kinda geek shit, great for quickly and cheaply making interactive music tools.

Cool, thanks. I've not really considered Arduino. I've heard about it quite a bit, mainly over at createdigitalmusic.com, but hadn't paid much attention, mainly for similar reasons as yourself. But I might take a closer look now.
tranzfuse
tranzfuse wrote:
It looks like I can use Silent Way's CV to MIDI (or OSC) plugin to broadcast MIDI (or OSC) messages to some target outside of Ableton. I *think* I can use an IAC driver as a target, and then, using this R & W MIDI lib for Processing, listen for the MIDI messages being broadcast from the IAC driver...that's TBD, but sounds reasonable.

I wanted to confirm that I was able to listen for MIDI data coming from Silent Way/Ableton via an IAC Driver! Super cool and exciting. This means with the $99 ES2-2 module I can actually control the incoming MIDI data used to generate Processing sketches. w00t

Basically in OS X Audio/MIDI setup, I created a new IAC Driver device. I went with the default settings, and renamed it to "Silent Way >> Processing".

Then in Ableton, I added the Silent Way CV to MIDI plugin to a track. At the bottom of the plugin's gui you can click "browse" to choose a target. You should see your IAC driver listed by the name you just assigned to it in the step above.

Then I added the Silent Way LFO plugin to the same track's chain, before the CV to MIDI plugin, tweaked the LFO settings to taste. The LFO works as a source of CV in place of the actual modular for now.

In Processing, I was using that same R&W MIDI lib I mentioned earlier along with their example sketch, modified the sketch a bit to draw within the noteOnReceived method and boom! Magic.

This is cool. I wanted to share my findings in case others are interested.
stk
Thread resurrection w00t

Been playing with Processing 3 the last few days to put some generative / morphing audio/visual installations together.

Still at prototyping stage and would love to see what other people have been doing with it.

(I'm pretty good with coding, do JavaScript for a living which is close enough for Jazz, so mainly learning the specific classes/methods and add on libraries for audio and video work.)

Cheers
JustGlyphs
Processing is dope! Really fun way to learn creative coding. The new IDE works super well now too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1