MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM 266 Source of Uncertainty (Roman F) coming soon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author MOTM 266 Source of Uncertainty (Roman F) coming soon
synthcube
With kind permission from roman f, we will be doing a run of panels, PCBs, full kits and a few professionally assembled 266 Source of Uncertainty v2 in MOTM format.
Availability depends on roman's schedule to get the PCB layout done based on the panel design. He will be using PCB-mounted jacks, etc to help simplify construction.

Here's the v2 info thread from roman: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75697&highlight=roma n+266

and the original build thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56856&highlight=roma n+266

Here's the first draft of the MOTM panel. It wil be produced by the original MOTM panel shop, in black powder coat.

No orders will be taken in advance and no money will be accepted until the panels, kits and modules are ready. If you would like me to keep track of your interest, please email me using the address below.
odecahedron
hot tamales - looks great - keen
decaying.sine
Very nice! Congrats my friend. w00t

I like the panel design and the quality will be spectacular. I love the black powder coat and baked on lettering. Very robust.

Which shop did Paul use for panels? If it's a trade secret no big deal, just curious.

Count me in for a full kit once things get rolling.
elmegil
So....is the price listed in the V2 thread for the entire kit, or just panels/PCBs?

I'm very interested in a 5U version of this, I just have to try and keep my GAS budget under some kind of check, so I want to be sure :-D

Thanks....
sduck
Looks interesting. Does it have to be 4U? You could get all that into 3U most likely. And if you're going to insist on those big knobs and 4U, please please do something with all that empty space - double up output jacks, add attenuators or multiples, or something - you've got room for some 12 jacks that's being wasted on that panel as is. And I presume this is a very rough first draft - the labeling in inconsistent and confusing.
galaktyk
Great, very interesting

What do you think will Cost an fully assembled module in Motm format, any suggestions already ?
odecahedron
galaktyk wrote:

What do you think will Cost an fully assembled module... ?

+1
synthcube
sduck wrote:
Looks interesting. Does it have to be 4U? You could get all that into 3U most likely. And if you're going to insist on those big knobs and 4U, please please do something with all that empty space - double up output jacks, add attenuators or multiples, or something - you've got room for some 12 jacks that's being wasted on that panel as is. And I presume this is a very rough first draft - the labeling in inconsistent and confusing.

Yes, first draft. I took a number of runs at 3U and it did not quite work, without sacrificing the graphics that I think are an important part of the module look and feel. That's not to say a 3U version could not be done.
The functions are consistent with Romans v1 hence no additional multiples etc.. Could be done though.
synthcube
galaktyk wrote:
Great, very interesting

What do you think will Cost an fully assembled module in Motm format, any suggestions already ?

Too early for pricing... Depends on the final pcb layout which is in roman's hands. Panels will be less than the FPE equivalent and powder coated, not metal photo. Parts will be less than the equivalent mouser cart one-off.
synthcube
FWIW, working draft of a 3U version. Thought it seemed too cramped and I had to sacrifice the SoU graphics.
elmegil
I would put my vote in for keeping the SoU graphics if at all possible, they help remind what the various bits are for....
Samuron
OK, this sucks; Roman saiid that it would be in the RE:Sythesis MU format, and has now edited the thread. :(

Edited to add: In the other thread, he said that he is hoping to offer both formats. Sorry for the knee-jerk post.
sduck
edit - long post deleted. My opinion on this is moot, as I'll probably design my own panel anyway if I pursue this pcb project. Keep up the good work!
elmegil
Are the small holes for each of the outputs for bananas?

Edit: or more likely they're LEDs, right?
Pfurmel
Yep, those are for LED's
keithwin
Count me in for a 5U panel
chriscoady
I'll take a kit also. That looks great!
sempervirent
Nice work, glad to see some new stuff happening in 5U. I might be down for an assembled version. I missed Roman's original run with MOTM panels, and they were like $800+ if I remember correctly which is about the same price as a real live Buchla 266e.

I like the 4U version with the 266-style graphics but the 3U is probably a better option. Any chance you could move the Integrator and Time Constant stuff down to the second row, and move Quantization and Probability up to the first row? Then the Time Constant text wouldn't collide with the mounting hole in the upper right, and all the jacks will be adjacent to prevent cables from obscuring the Probability knob.
synthcube
Will give it a shot
synthcube
here's the latest iteration
i understand roman may be laying out the test boards next week

sempervirent
Looks good. Did we lose a CV input for Time Constant though?

Also looks like the numbered legend for FRV1 and Integrator might be too close to the upper mounting holes, but maybe not, if you're using standard MOTM spacing:

And on that note you might think about stacking the module name and creators text to more closely fit the MOTM norm.

I'm really looking forward to this one. The "200" series gap in the SynthTech lineup is no coincidence and there are a lot of cool possibilities lurking on the West Coast...
russma
I've had a DIY Wogglebug on my to-do list for a while. Maybe this bumps it.

seriously, i just don't get it
synthcube
Good advice, we'll doublecheck the labeling, spacing etc
The cv was actually associated with the s&h not the time constant, so it was misplaced in last version. It's now centered at the bottom along with other s&h jacks.
synthcube
russma wrote:
I've had a DIY Wogglebug on my to-do list for a while. Maybe this bumps it.

seriously, i just don't get it

wobblebug shmogglebug, I always say meh meh
EATyourGUITAR
synthcube wrote:
Good advice, we'll doublecheck the labeling, spacing etc
The cv was actually associated with the s&h not the time constant, so it was misplaced in last version. It's now centered at the bottom along with other s&h jacks.

understand your reasoning but I just can't do 7 jacks wide for a 3U wide panel. I have huge fingers waah

however I am happy now that there are no jacks on the top right thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2