MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ikea Rast Diy Cabinet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ikea Rast Diy Cabinet
memorygardens
I have seen a number of people talking about using the ikea rast as a cheap cabinet, but only saw one guy's pictures of it. I would love to see how it turned out if anyone has some pictures of one. I also want to know if anyone found a good way to put 5U stuff in it and make it still work. And has anyone tried to retrofit the Rast drawer chest? I was thinking it could be three rows if you didnt add the drawers to it. If anyone has tried that I would love to see that as well. Thanks in advice.
Barcode
Bam! The first 3 are the normal 6u setup. The one on the right is modified with 8u rails.

Barcode
You could actually say that my setup is the ultimate Ikea rig......

4 Rasts, the black table and legs, the shelf with the Juno, and the angled black stands are all from Ikea.
Luka
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15797
memorygardens
it seems like euro rack fits a lot easier then 5U would...... well I guess I can always make my own panels. Thanks a lot for the pics, got anymore feel free to share, can never get enough of peoples set ups.
appliancide
Check out the link that Luka posted. There's at least one 5U setup in that thread, and it's sweet. The rast is a 6U 19" rack made from real wood for the cost of a case of shitty beer. thumbs up
synthnut
Well, I was just about to buy a pile more Rasts from Ikea, but guess what, DISCONTINUED!!!
They seem to be available in the USA, but not here in the UK - Boo Ikea very frustrating

Hey ho

Ben

Trying to keep wiggling!

www.resynthesis.co.uk
sammy123
Do you have a friend with a table saw? It is such a simple design you could easily make one from some cheap wood.
synthnut
...Yeah, I know it's a super-simple build really.
Actual wood is far from cheap here in the UK, MDF is reasonable, but I fancied proper wood. One of the DIY sheds sells a material that is similar to the stuff Rasts were made from, bar the fact that is goes totally banana shaped as soon as you try to make anything from it!
What's doubly frustrating is wife just asked if I wanted anything from Ikea as she was going tonight. I'm just about ready to use them too as I have a space at long last...

Keep wiggling!

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
jenz
Quick questions...

1-If I would put a Symthrotek deluxe power kit in there, I would have to put a back panel on the rast to fix the distro boards right?

2-If I pick the 1u power module, could I make a square hole and put it on the side of the cabinet instead of on the rails?

Thanx!
medbot
jenz wrote:
Quick questions...

1-If I would put a Symthrotek deluxe power kit in there, I would have to put a back panel on the rast to fix the distro boards right?

2-If I pick the 1u power module, could I make a square hole and put it on the side of the cabinet instead of on the rails?

Thanx!

You wouldn't necessarily need a back panel, just put the distro boards on the top and bottom. If you did want to use a back panel you would need to put it inside the case rather than flush with the back. The back panel would be too far away for your ribbon cables is you did that.

I imagine you could put the power module anywhere you want if you've got the tools to mount it safely. You could even probably get away with not soldering the switch to the board, but instead to flying wires. That way you could mount the board inside the case and just need to drill a hole for a switch.
grillo
Medbot is right, you really don't need a back panel. This is how I mounted the distro boards and the power supply of a doepfer diy kit into my rast rack

I really wanted to build another one and was really bummed to find out it's discontinued... damn! waah waah
jenz
Nice!!! Rast is no more? The Ikea near me is saying that he's got 4 in stock...
Better go buy them now!
ilya.n
Actually with a saw and a sandpaper you adjust Rast to any size you need and cut all the extra wood in five minutes.

This is my Rast cabinet (i have made it a bit shorter to fit 84HP, a bit less taller to make more compact, and a bit less deep).

[/img]

I made a backpanel out of hardboard and mounted powerbuses to the "floor" and the "ceiling" of the cabinet. Don't have a picture, but here is the same configuration.
CantThinkOfAnything
DELETED
d'oh! It was a stupid question
drowld
Sorry to bring this back to life but is there any alternatives available that you guys are aware of ?
In switzerland i can't get a rast stand :(
sammy123
If you have access to tools (maybe a maker space?) you could make something like a rast very easily.
humax5600
http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/44361109/

In Germany it is still avaliable !
There is also an online shop,
or you make a trip to the nearest Ikea market in Germany
drowld
humax5600 wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/44361109/

In Germany it is still avaliable !
There is also an online shop,
or you make a trip to the nearest Ikea market in Germany

Thanks for the info.
I guess i'll have to make a trip.
Weird tho that it's available in germany but not switzerland..
synchromesh
drowld wrote:
Weird tho that it's available in germany but not switzerland..

They've stopped selling them in the UK as well, it's very annoying.
Bartimaeus
What's the max HP one of these can fit? ~100? How thick is the wood?
sammy123
Its either 92 or 94hp...can't remember.
humax5600
Bartimaeus wrote:

Bought one RAST in 2012 and the wood thickness is 18 mm.
The RAST from 2015 have a wood thickness from 15,5mm.
synchromesh
I bought a frame from Clicks & Clocks, it was 94HP. It cost me €96 including shipping and I'm very happy with it.
DJMaytag
Bartimaeus wrote:

6U of 94 HP (188 HP total)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2