MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Digital vs Analogue Delays
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Digital vs Analogue Delays
Yoa01
Hi all,

So as an independant module builder (sounds more professional than DIY) who hopes to sell his modules to the masses, I try to come up with interesting new ideas. Recently I took an adaptation of a guitar pedal I made and turned it into a very unique module.

It's a fairly simple digital delay with a very high sampling rate, low noise, a TON of internal signal routing as well as plenty of I/O - great quality AND useful. So, as I tend to do, I went to Eurorackdb.com to compare with other delay modules, and found that, among other interesting things, it seems most modular delays are analogue.

So my question is, do you prefer analogue or digital delays, and why? Obviously, we all know there's a huge difference in both sound and idiosyncrasies between analogue and digital, so we can avoid that smile
twincities
i don't have any delays in my modular at the moment, but as far as general studio gear goes, i like both for different things. the only thing i usually avoid would be digital stuff that is trying to emulate analog gear. let analog be and sound analog. let digital do it's crazy computer stuff that only it can do. my moogerfooger and eventide can live in perfect harmony.

(that said, if your digital model does some cool/unique things i'd be interested!)
rezzn8r
I have both in my system. I have the Modcan Digital Delay and BugBrand PT Delay for digital, and a Time Machine and 'Fooger for analogue.
I agree with TwinCities. They each have a place.

Quote:
...a TON of internal signal routing as well as plenty of I/O...

I think this is where all the potential is to be found. A buddy of mine has an FoH SoS, and it's the extra features that make it a more interesting module to me.
Good luck with your endeavour! SlayerBadger! I think every modular should have at least one delay hihi
stk
Don't know what format you're looking at, but in euro there are a number of digital delays - echophon, sound of shadows, synthtech e580, the doepfer and tiptop dsp units.

As far as preference, as others have mentioned i like both for different things. I even like digital emulations, some of them do a very good job for much less money.
Dofkev
It seems to me that the digital delay market is a bit saturated right now. Digital delays sound great as long as they just sit there, but they usually sound a bit weak when the delay rate is CV'd. I prefer analog because of this.
ChrisR
I prefer analog delays. That being said, a digital delay that does something interesting (whatever it is) that an analogue cannot do is very welcome. A digital delay that only emulates an analogue one is boring (too me). </ 2 cents>
ndkent
Lots of people want smooth responding voltage control on all the parameters when it is sold as a module. One can't make any blanket statements but some modules out there have few parameters that can be modulated and sometimes the parameters are steppy/glitchy/limited in not interesting ways
Just me
A PCM42 as a module would suit me just fine. Just saying.
bouzoukijoe1
I think the answer is that there is room for both (I have and love both analog and digital delays). but what determines one or the other depends more on your approach as a designer.

my 2 cents:

if going digital, make the most out of digital weirdness and errors and stepping and whatever glitchy aspect is possible. or make it super clean and precise. also make every parameter controllable in the spirit of complete synthetic workflow. this gives it an edge over analog and it will allow it to do what it does best, naturally.

if going analog, it's a no brainer. make it do what analog does best. make it smooth, make it warm, make it earthy, make it organically complex, don't provide too many options as long as the few things that it can do sound completely golden. make it do automatically what digital has a hard time doing because of being too precise or clean, or having too many options.

IMO if either approach is done properly, you can create a classic.
odecahedron
MAKE THE DELAY REPEATS SYNCABLE TO AN INCOMING CLOCK/TRIGGER

SERIOUSLY LACKING FUNCTION IN DELAY-LAND.SERIOUSLY
rezzn8r
odecahedron wrote:

My Modcan Digital does this. It's a nice feature.
Morley
I like 'em both.
TBH though, I find most modules much less interesting than existing rack gear. For example, the Yamaha D5000 sounds amazing and has a ton of features. I'd rather spend my money on that than a module if I am honest.
The sad thing is that I think you will sell more if you say it is analogue even though a digital one could be way better and more interesting sonically.
bouzoukijoe1
Morley wrote:
I like 'em both.
TBH though, I find most modules much less interesting than existing rack gear. For example, the Yamaha D5000 sounds amazing and has a ton of features. I'd rather spend my money on that than a module if I am honest.
The sad thing is that I think you will sell more if you say it is analogue even though a digital one could be way better and more interesting sonically.

except there are things an Echopon will do that you will never get a D5000 to do. ever. hihi
Morley
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Morley wrote:
I like 'em both.

except there are things an Echopon will do that you will never get a D5000 to do. ever. hihi

For sure. And likewise, the D5000 will do tons of things an echelon can't do. Hence both exist.
odecahedron
rezzn8r wrote:
odecahedron wrote:

My Modcan Digital does this. It's a nice feature.

Ahaaaaaasa, really, nobody had anything to say about it in the 3 thread I started on exactly this, lol - thanks for the tip, I shall investigate

I like both digital and analog for different uses. Digital for crisp syncopated repeats, analog for ambient and wash, good to layer together too
NV
odecahedron wrote:
Ahaaaaaasa, really, nobody had anything to say about it in the 3 thread I started on exactly this, lol - thanks for the tip, I shall investigate

The ASys RS290 and Echophon also sync to incoming clocks, both with the ability to select divisions.
odecahedron
Ill look at the ASys - cheers NV, i was specificaly hoping to sync delay repeats to odd divisions (via a yusynth clock divider) .. the echophon only does even-integer divisions unfortunately.

ideally, if anyone knows/wants to drop a schematic for setting up a 'trigger-in to delay-repeat' circuit on me - im not stopping you.
antimatter
Hello,

why not make the sample rate variable , or offer rate /2 , /4, /8 ?

something akin to the Lexicon Primetime 93 in modular form would be great.

one in two variable time outs -

ok, make it and I'll test it,

antimatter
square_wave
I like both, as others have said. And I agree that the reason to have it in a module is for CV control.

I'm currently using pedals and I recently traded in my MXR Carbon Copy for a TC Electronic Flashback (actually I got the Alter Ego, which is a version of the Flashback from Pro Guitar Shop that IMO is less ugly) and I'm loving it.

Two things it does that my CC didn't that I really like:

1) When you change the delay time the pitch of the delays isn't affected. I think this + CV control would be cool. (Does Echophon or Modcan do this?)

2) Stereo out! Very nice to end a signal chain with.
shreddoggie
Just me wrote:
A PCM42 as a module would suit me just fine. Just saying.

This is an excellent point / idea. I love the Lexicon delays from this era because the delay line itself is digital but there are analog modulations so for instance you can change the delay time smoothly with a knob. I use a PCM 41 and a Super Prime Time - the latter has a few CV connections and I am surprised / wonder about modular sythesists using this device - even the PCM 41 has CV. Perhaps there are some hybrid ideas there that could inspire you.

[/img]
DonKartofflo
The thing in euro I would really like to see is a clockable analogue delay. best of both worlds imho thumbs up
thefamilyghost
To echo everyone else, I like both for different reasons. If I was forced to choose between the two, I would choose analog.
richard
the only delays I tend to use are terrible and weird ones, apart from the Wilson Audio Delay these tend to be digital: Bugbrand Delay, Vesta Kozo DiGi 420 - the more fucked up the better. thumbs up

karplus strong is a definite plus too
twincities
square_wave wrote:

Two things it does that my CC didn't that I really like:

1) When you change the delay time the pitch of the delays isn't affected. I think this + CV control would be cool. (Does Echophon or Modcan do this?)

this is seriously one of the most useful things for me in a delay and is not easy to find. i know the flashback and EH smmh both work this way. I actually just read last night that the timefactor works this way in it's digital mode, which is awesome because it already has expression ins which can be used with CV in my experience. i'm actually a bit embarrassed i never checked this feature out for myself on my timefactor before this, it's my favorite digital delay, i just never use that mode. the reissue of the EH 16 second delay can stretch loops in this manner with no pitch change, but i believe it's delay still emulates tape. i'd LOVE to know of more delays/loopers that work like this, and would snatch up a module instantly that does it with a reasonable CV set.
BugBrand
Here's a digital delay with quite an analogue sound..
Link to my new version PT Delay demo sounds

dan_p wrote:
Thats got to be the most analogue digital I've ever heard.

Sounds so good

:tu:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2