MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode [Video demo added!]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode [Video demo added!]
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode [Video demo added!] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I updated my monotribe and DIY'd a CV/gate sending cable, and here's how it sounds:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/radiokoala/monotribe-fun-times[/s]

Sputnik DWG as a modulator. Osc1 sends CV/pitch information, and Osc2 gates the envelopes. In other words, it is frequency modulation by Osc1 since voltage is continuous, and it makes it sound more interesting than sending note values. Some cross-modulation between two oscillators as well.

For receiving CV I used Hz/V mode, and for gate an inverted trigger mode, because in usual mode I had no luck triggering the gates with a VCO. (Even though with square waveforms not in CV/gate mode it worked!)

Oh, and almost forgot: yes there is delay/reverb, for added liveliness, but it is an output of a monotribe only, nothing else. (No VCO to audio in or anything...)

Regarding the patch itself, overall it looked something like that:

Enjoy.

w00t

__
/ Analog & modular videos /
Soundcloud

Last edited by radiokoala on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode...now that's fun! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

radiokoala wrote:
For receiving CV I used Hz/V mode, and for gate an inverted trigger mode, because in usual mode I had no luck triggering the gates with a VCO. (Even though with square waveforms not in CV/gate mode it worked!)

nice sounds thumbs up
old/original korg gate was 'switching', like moog: at 0V the env starts. modern/normal gate in expects 5V. so it seems your clock-osc does a nice 0V but not 5V Mr. Green you could check with a voltmeter ...
if you are into diy it would be easy to make some cmos osc. those can go up to 10V if you like hyper

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode...now that's fun! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

felixer wrote:
radiokoala wrote:

nice sounds thumbs up
old/original korg gate was 'switching', like moog: at 0V the env starts. modern/normal gate in expects 5V. so it seems your clock-osc does a nice 0V but not 5V Mr. Green you could check with a voltmeter ...

Thanks!

They all do nice 0V, it's a lesser of all efforts to generate a 0V voltage hihi But really I think it's +5V/-5V, or what voltage VCOs usually have. No malfunction, that's for sure, but out of interest I will check it when there's a tester around.

BTW, just a few minutes ago uploaded a vid (continuing my CV/gate explorations thumbs up)

__
Soundcloud
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode...now that's fun! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

radiokoala wrote:
it's a lesser of all efforts to generate a 0V voltage hihi But really I think it's +5V/-5V, or what voltage VCOs usually have.

never assume anything. not in euroland Mr. Green who talked about 'assumption being the mother of all fuck-ups'? often it's 5Vpp, so -2,5V-+2,5V ... sometimes more, sometimes less hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
and you 'd be surprised how difficult it can be to get 0,000V. it's called 'offset' and not a welcome guest to amplifier-parties Mr. Green
you should def check:
-george duke live on stage with frank zappa using his arp odyssey's s&h to accompany/drive the 'idiot dancing contest'.
-brad pitt in '12 monkeys' (movie by director terry gilliam).
lol

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Monotribe in CV/gate mode...now that's fun! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

felixer wrote:

you should def check:
-george duke live on stage with frank zappa using his arp odyssey's s&h to accompany/drive the 'idiot dancing contest'.
-brad pitt in '12 monkeys' (movie by director terry gilliam).
lol

haha! made me laugh Mr. Green

'idiot dancing contest' sound like fun, and by the way I have a Zappa t-shirt (lumpy gravy)...as for voltages, I sure will check them, now I'm curious myself. razz

__
Soundcloud
crippletoe
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hey radiokoala,
can you explain a little what exactly did you do in order to be able to send in cv/gate signals?
did you have to modify the monotribe or is it some new firmware feature?

wtb: Intellijel buff mult
oscillateur
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a new firmware update. No mods needed.
crippletoe
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

is that the 2.0 firmware update? what possibilities does it give exactly? couldn't find anything on the korg site...
wtb: Intellijel buff mult
oscillateur
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's OS 2.11 but it's only on the Japanese version of Korg's website so far (probably hasn't been translated yet) :

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Dance/monotribe/version2.html
http://www.korg.co.jp/Support/Download/Update/monotribe/

You basically get CV/Gate input using a stereo minijack in the Trig In input.

Edit : I think it's actually a 4 poles mini jack that is needed
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, correct, a 4-pole mini jack. I DIY'ed my own, it's two mono patchcords on one side and a single plug on the other that is inserted in the monotribe.

When you download a firmware, despite manual is in japanese, inside pdf there is a pinout. Tip is for gate, ring 2 CV, sleeve is ground. Ring 1 is not used, but I have a madman idea that maybe in the future they will add a filter CV?! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Regarding the possibilities of new firmware, in 2.0 there is a plenty (sample&hold, 16 steps for synth...etc), and 2.11 only adds CV/gate mode.

Oh, and last: update procedure is identical to 2.0, just read it in a guide that comes with 2.0 (it's in English). To enable CV, after updating you need to power on monotribe holding SN and GATE. Then press step 1, it turns on CV/gate mode. Last, to save settings press REC. Switching between Hz/V and V/Oct mode is step 2, and trigger/inverted trigger response is selected by a step 3. That's pretty much it. thumbs up

__
Soundcloud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: