MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PolyDAC switch question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author PolyDAC switch question
the bad producer
Hello,

Just getting the last bits together for this, not sure if Oakley is the right sub-forum (I got the PCB from Elby) but I know this was an Oakley board for a while, and I'm looking at the Oakley construction guide..aaa-nee-way!

Looking at the Assign switch (S2) it is listed as an SPDT on-mom toggle, there is a Farnell number in the guide, but it doesn't exist any more (607-381) Rapid don't seem to do this type of toggle, but looking at the schemo, one side of the switch is never connected.......soooooooo;

Can I use a push button momentary SPST here instead?

Also how do the pitchbend and mod-wheel sockets work? I'm implementing my panel with bananas, so I'd need two for each, a send and return, but what exactly do these do?

I think (probably wrong) that when I do a pitchbend or Modwheel manouvre on my MIDI keyboard/sequencer/controller, it will send out some CV here (like the sustain and aftertouch sockets), but why a return?

hmmm.....

If anyone could help I'd be very It's peanut butter jelly time!

Charlie
Synthbuilder
I have no idea how close the Elby board ties in with the old Modulus board, so I'd be wary about using the Modulus/Oakley User Guide with the newer PCBs.

There are a few issues with this project. It never had time to be developed properly by either Paul Maddox or myself before Paul decided to make it open source. Having said that I don't know if Laurie has improved on it at all. I would hope so.

the bad producer wrote:
Can I use a push button momentary SPST here instead?

Yes. Paul used toggles to match the other Oakley modules at the time.

the bad producer wrote:
Also how do the pitchbend and mod-wheel sockets work? I'm implementing my panel with bananas, so I'd need two for each, a send and return, but what exactly do these do?

The PB and MW sockets have normalised connections. If there are no jack sockets inserted into either the signal gets automatically added to the pitch CVs. When inserting a socket the signal can be tapped off to do other things. Paul recommends using a stereo socket so that they can also be used as an input too, much like insert jacks on mixing desks.

In your case I would have two sockets for each CV one for the output of the CV, the other as a global CV input. The global CV input can be used to apply modulation to all KeyCV outputs simultaneously. Useful for vibrato in a polysynth. The PB pair I guess would normally be linked over in polyphonic mode to allow the PB signal to affect all CVs. The Modwheel pair would probably be used unlinked in normal usage unless you want your mod wheel to control global pitch...
the bad producer
Thanks for the quick reply Synthbuilder,

I'm just using the Oakley/Modulus guide to cross reference the panel stuff, I'm not sure what the problems are you mentioned, but I think Laurie has done some updates - the details are on his website... I'm really excited to get this thing plugged in, and now I understand the Pitchbend and Modwheel stuff, I'm that little bit closer!

Thanks again, Guinness ftw!

Charlie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1