MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob Frac Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Noob Frac Questions
Ted2
Hey guys,

My Blacet system can finally make some real noise-- just got a few new modules, and almost have a complete rack! nanners I'm really enjoying the Binary Zone.

I have a few noob-ish questions though. The pulse width modulation on the Blacet VCO, when turned near the max or the minimum, cuts the audio out. I bought this one pre-assembled, so I'm not sure if this is a calibration problem. Would it be?

I also just got the Micro LFO, and there is no way to adjust the depth of the wave-- I'm used to just using software plugins, so I'm not sure if this is an unusual feature in a modular? Is there another LFO offered in Frac that allows altering of depth, or is there a mod or something I can do?

Finally, would the Hex Zone be a good choice for making melodic patches? I've been debating on whether or not I should go for a sequencer by a different company. I can't quite make up my mind. What are your opions on the Hex Zone?

Thanks,
Ted
Taylor
In modulars, the depth of an LFO is typically controlled at the destination module via built-in attenuators. If the input doesn't have a built-in attenuator, an external one would be used.

One reason for this is that you can send an LFO to multiple sources and each source might do best with a different depth.
scozbor
what's in your rack so far? got any vca's?
parasitk
Ted2 wrote:
I have a few noob-ish questions though. The pulse width modulation on the Blacet VCO, when turned near the max or the minimum, cuts the audio out. I bought this one pre-assembled, so I'm not sure if this is a calibration problem. Would it be?

No, that's pretty normal for pulse-width modulation. Just attenuate the CV going into the PWM input.

Ted2 wrote:
I also just got the Micro LFO, and there is no way to adjust the depth of the wave-- I'm used to just using software plugins, so I'm not sure if this is an unusual feature in a modular? Is there another LFO offered in Frac that allows altering of depth, or is there a mod or something I can do?

The multi/atten, mixer/processor or dual lin VCA would allow you to attenuate CVs being sent to other places. You'd rarely want to attenuate at the source - it's better at the destination.
Tubeampguy
Hey Ted! I just added you on youtube! I think I must have ordered from Blacet just after you did. I bought one of the first RAK-2 frames with covers and just placed a second order for more modules this week. Blacet Blacet
e-grad
Ted2 wrote:
Finally, would the Hex Zone be a good choice for making melodic patches? I've been debating on whether or not I should go for a sequencer by a different company. I can't quite make up my mind. What are your opions on the Hex Zone?

The HexZone is awsome! Since you are used to SW you'll be most likely amazed how easy it is to programm. I think all of Blacet's modules modules have an outstanding cost-performance ratio yet the HexZone is particular amazing in this respect.
Ted2
Alright, thanks for the help! I will get a dual lin vca and mult as soon as possible.

Quote:
what's in your rack so far? got any vca's?

I've got a Super VCA, Binary Zone, VCO, Filthy Filtre, and Micro LFO. Still need to get an EG1.

Quote:
Hey Ted! I just added you on youtube! I think I must have ordered from Blacet just after you did. I bought one of the first RAK-2 frames with covers and just placed a second order for more modules this week.

Hey Tubeampguy! I saw your comment! That's really cool-- the Rak-2 is sweet. I bought the old rack system like 2 weeks before it came out d'oh! it's what I am buying next, though-- going for a 3 rack system It's peanut butter jelly time!
chamomileshark
parasitk wrote:
Ted2 wrote:

No, that's pretty normal for pulse-width modulation. Just attenuate the CV going into the PWM input.

That's true and I prefered VCOs where it did not go to zero or 100% (ie no sound) BUT it does come in useful if you are using it as a trigger for a sequencer because you can create rests/ silences.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1