MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Interest] Versatile Mini-Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

Do you like this idea? If not, tell me why!
Yes, I'll take one!
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but it could use some work...
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
No, and here's why...
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author [Interest] Versatile Mini-Sequencer
Yoa01
Hi all,

I have another module idea to throw your way, I hope I'm not doing this too quickly. This one is a pretty simple sequencer, but with a few added benefits:
>8 steps
>LED step indicator
>Built-in internal clock
>On, off, or reset switch for each step
>External clock input (overrides internal clock)
>Clock thru (works with both external and internal clock signals)
>External Reset input
>2x 5th-step gate outputs (every 5 steps, regardless of resets, a gate signal is high or low)
>Transpose in (1V/Oct sensitivity)
>CV out
>Gate out
>Only 12hp (for Euro version)
>Fully analogue

Comparable to Analogue Solution's SQ8 CV / Gate Sequencer, this is a small, versatile sequencer built for musical rhythms and sequences.

Notes:
Without transposing, this sequencer has a range of 0-5V. With transposing it can go up to ~+12V. Negative transposing is also possible, to ~-12V.
Resets only take effect when the next step is triggered.
Gate signals last as long as each step and retrigger for each step.
Clock can be driven into the audio range for oscillator and sample-and-hold-like effects.
I'll actually label things later, don't worry smile Unless, of course, you want it unlabelled.

Is this something you guys n gals would be interested in?
chrisso
The trend is for ever more complex module designs.
Not enough simple sequencers being released IMO.
Yes, your design is something I would be interested in. In practice I use an Eardrill Morphun (Buchla format) with both my Buchla and Euro systems.
It's 8 stage and simple, but doesn't have a gate out.
One great thing it has though is selectable seq length.

I think your sequencer design should have very accurate and tight timing.
http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Litmus.html
John Noble
Reverse is a really good idea.
Yoa01
Chrisso, The way I see it, modulars exist so that you can patch simple modules together to create a complex synth, not the other way around. I like the Morphun's ideals, but there are some things I feel I should leave to others to figure out. Technically, using the reset function, you can adjust the length from 1-8 steps. It is fairly accurate as it is (it kept up with Ableton Live for a solid 2 hours before I got bored of timing it). Maybe I'll leave it on for a few days and see how it keeps up like that.

John, Reverse would be interesting, agreed. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks for your insights.
bouzoukijoe1
oh hell yeah. cv and gate sequencer in one?! nice. this is ace because you can get one to start if you have a small starter budget, then add a second one if you want to advance to separate cv and gate sequencers. it's like having a uStep and Pittsburgh sequencer in one. very appealing for those who are starting small (and hopefully cheap) and want to keep things modular and scalable. very nice approach.

the only thing I can think of that would be cool along the lines of the combo cv+gate concept is if there were a switch at the bottom that lets you toggle the knobs between cv or gate length. that, or an octave range switch, like on the A-155.

also, just be sure that the switches are not too hard to get to, because the space is already tight between knobs! otherwise, great concept.
Yoa01
All of my modules would be cheap thumbs up If you did do the separate sequencers thing, they could be synced, as well! I was thinking, if I bring this to market, I would sell it for $150-$200. It's probably worth more, I admit, but as a start up company, that seems a fair price.

Sadly, Gate length isn't exactly alterable, at least not on this model. I've developed a larger (84hp) sequencer which has all the bells and whistles you could ever need in a sequencer. That's one's a bit more expensive ($500), but it does everything this can x4. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

Octave could be done internally, however it can also be done remotely via the transpose input. I actually planned that so you could have remote octave changes, but it just so happens to work with any voltage - even changing voltages, like from an EG.

Space is a bit limited, admittedly, but it is actually surprisingly easy to navigate, assuming your fingers aren't sausages lol

Thank you for your input!
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I had to vote no, because it looks Euro.
Yoa01
It can easily be formatted to any size. Would you like to see the 4U and 5U versions? 4U is one space (and includes mults and a few more features), 5U is two spaces.
chrisso
Yoa01 wrote:
It is fairly accurate as it is (it kept up with Ableton Live for a solid 2 hours before I got bored of timing it). Maybe I'll leave it on for a few days and see how it keeps up like that.

It's not about how long it stays in sync.
Take a look at the link I posted.
If something is simple, presumably doing one task well, it needs to be accurate, not 'fairly accurate'.
And yes, I much prefer simple over complex.
Yoa01
I saw the link. Actually used that when designing this thumbs up By fairly accurate, I do mean accurate, at least to the best of my measuring capabilities.
chrisso
OK thumbs up
VCOscillator
I like the look of this. I would like a dedicated sequencer for bass and this looks nice and compact thumbs up

I like the switch per step feature alot.

Would it be difficult to squeeze a slew/gide function into something this small?
Yoa01
VCOscillator wrote:
Would it be difficult to squeeze a slew/glide function into something this small?

Very. It could be done, of course, but there's barely enough room for what's there! Besides, I'll gladly sell you my own design of a dual slew limiter for like $20.
Yoa01
Alrighty, I finished the 5U design.

It's the same thing, just designed for 5U standards (1V/Oct, 0-5V gate, runs on +-15V). I actually managed to fit it into 1 unit width, but it may feel a bit small to use compared to other 5U modules. Then again, name a 5U module that's a 1 unit width sequencer.

I know I said I would upload the 4U version as well, but I seem to have miscalulated the size of a 4U module and have a LOT of extra room, even with adding a few features. Would it be bad if I made it fit into a Eardrill ModuleModule? 2 units in that is the perfect size, 3 and I could add things like Glide.

Actually, how common are just standard sequencers in 4U systems? I've very little experience with them, but doing some research I found that the 251e is a very decent yet very complex sequencer, which I imagine is far more useful than this sequencer (not to mention more expensive hihi )

~EDIT~ So, like a tired noob who's been working on designs all day, I totally forgot to label it. The big knob controls the internal clock speed, each step is the same, the jacks are as follows:

Left side:
Ext. Clock in
Clock Thru
5th Out
CV Out

Right Side:
Transpose
Reset
5th Out
Gate Out
sonicwarrior
Yoa01 wrote:
>2x 5th-step gate outputs (every 5 steps, regardless of resets, a gate signal is high or low)

Is this of any use? Why two of them?

Edit: For the 5U version the clock frequency knob is a little to close to the knob for the 1st step.
Yoa01
sonicwarrior wrote:
Is this of any use? Why two of them?

I have no idea if it's of any use, to be completely honest. I'm sure it can be useful, but I've yet to find a real reason to use it lol It's not hurting anything being there, though; it's a natural function of the circuitry, may as well include it.
sonicwarrior wrote:
Edit: For the 5U version the clock frequency knob is a little to close to the knob for the 1st step.

I'm aware. Thinking of breaking it out into 2 units to both fix that and maybe add some stuff. Or, I could just shift things around a bit...
sonicwarrior
Yoa01 wrote:
It's not hurting anything being there, though

It takes up space that could be used to make the module less cramped otherwise. idea
Yoa01
sonicwarrior wrote:
It takes up space that could be used to make the module less cramped otherwise. idea

Eh, true. It's sort of going to be cramped any way you put it, though. Fitting all of that into 12hp (or 1 unit) isn't easy, but I'm trying to make my modules fit together nicely so changing the sizes would sort of throw that off. All of my Euro modules are 8 or 12hp, and the 5U's will eventually all be able to fit into a 10U rack.
chrisso
I was confused by the '5th Out' too.
If it's of no real use don't include it. It simplifies your faceplate and reduces your costs on two jack assemblies.
Yoa01
I remember why I had that as an output! I originally designed this as a large, rack-width 10-step sequencer. The 5th outs thing lines up with it perfectly, but not really the 8-step version.

Better? Mr. Green

Getting rid of the 5th outs also allowed me to easily label the modules. I also moved things about and scaled the LEDs properly.
Neo
sold! when's it shipping?
Yoa01
Neo wrote:
sold! when's it shipping?

Pretty much whenever someone orders smile I don't have a good system set up, so PM me if you really want one. Might be a few week's waiting period, though.
joshuagoran
I am new around here but this sort of thing is right up my alley as a first sequencer module!
Togodumnus
Yoa01 wrote:
I remember why I had that as an output! I originally designed this as a large, rack-width 10-step sequencer. The 5th outs thing lines up with it perfectly, but not really the 8-step version.

Better? Mr. Green

Getting rid of the 5th outs also allowed me to easily label the modules. I also moved things about and scaled the LEDs properly.

The Euro-sized module looks REALLY interesting.

When are you gonna start producing them?
kimu
Interesting.
I would thrown in slew and selectable gate lenght if not for each single step at least for all the gates

Edit:why additional gate every 5th step? And not on the more used first beat of four measure?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2