MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCO problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author VCO problem
jack multiple
i got my first VCO working a while ago, everything was fine.
sounds fantastic.

Have just put it into a new front panel and its not doing very well.

Its lots its oomph, i can still hear it at high volume and the controls still work, its just mostly hum and buzz now. Same for all outputs.

the only thing i did was unplug the boards from each other and reconnect when it was in the new panel.

i still havent bought myself an oscilloscope and my troubleshooting skills are at the mo, zero. Nothing is visibly amiss on the boards..

What is the minimum oscilloscope bandwidth suitable for these projects?
Synthbuilder
The problem could well be a grounding problem. That is, your VCO is getting ground (0V) but maybe it is not the same ground as the rest of your system. Or, your new front panel is not getting the same ground as the VCO's electronics. Check pin 3 on the PSU power header is a short circuit to pin 2 with the module plugged in but turned off.

jack multiple wrote:
What is the minimum oscilloscope bandwidth suitable for these projects?

5MHz. Audio stuff doesn't need much more than that. But to catch the odd unwanted oscillation it would be wise to get a 20MHz one. Anything more than that well that's a bonus. I use an analogue 50MHz but I'll be getting one of these to augment it shortly:

http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DS1000E/

Tony
jack multiple
Twas a simple thing really. the earth wire from sock board to main board had come loose from the housing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1