MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Kits Available!] Eurorack Klee Panel and Daughterboard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next [all]
Author [Kits Available!] Eurorack Klee Panel and Daughterboard
NV
>============= Kits available at DIY distributors! =============<
------ To pick one up please read through this post and contact Synthcube or Modular Addict ------

The Klee is one of the most unique and inspiring sequencers in existence. Obtaining one, however, is a dark path - a trial by fire paved with the corpses of 140 flying wires and slick with the blood of 135 ground points. There's also the unfortunate side effect of hearing the lamenting wails of dozens of feet of sacrificial wire insulation echoing throughout the cabinet in which you've placed any hand-wired Klee. This gets loud on weekends.

But today we rejoice, for no longer shall we suffer the plague of a single swapped wire or stare down the lone forgotten ground point buried beneath a swarm of spaghetti. Behold!

This is an order thread for a Eurorack format Klee front panel, accompanying daughterboard, analogue/digital component board, and panel component kit. The front panel is a 56HP milled and anodized panel matched to a daughterboard to which every panel component is soldered. The daughterboard mates with the revised Klee PCBs (included with the kit) via SIP pins and headers, allowing the Klee boards to plug directly into the daughterboard. This means not a single cable to build or wire to run for one of the most wiring intensive projects in SDIY.

To place things into perspective, after completing the main analogue/digital Klee boards it took me more than a week of working several hours each day to hand-wire a 5U Klee. When I built up this kit it took me 3 hours.

The daughterboard is secured to the front panel via the numerous panel components, allowing the use of illuminated sliders for the programming pots. The boards make a secure fit with the headers alone, but three additional mounting points are provided for threaded standoffs to make sure everything stays put. As a result of the SIP header integration between the Klee boards and the daughterboard, the total depth of a completed module comes in at 48mm - shallow enough for nearly any skiff.

This iteration of the Klee accommodates all of the optional features listed in the Klee documentation, as well as a handful of additional modifications listed below:
  • LED driver indicating the input of the external range function.
  • Normaled Random input voltage to allow use of the Random switch as a persistent load on/off switch in the absence of an external input.
  • Internal system clock normalization option via a header connected to the switching lead of the clock input jack (expected number of people utilizing this: 0)
Included with the panel and daughterboard is a panel component kit consisting of everything you'll mount onto the daughterboards EXCEPT the LEDs, pushbuttons, and knobs - these were left out to allow for customization on the builder's end. The knob dials come in at 17mm, 21mm, and 24mm diameters, and the pushbuttons come in 4 different colors - red, green, yellow, and black. The panel is drilled for standard 3mm T1 LEDs.

The sliders are a custom variant of the Alpha LED slider - custom in that the lever is a longer 20mm and the center detent is eliminated. The LEDs on these sliders come as green but they can easily be swapped for any LED equal to or less than 3.2mm wide - nearly any standard T1 3mm LED will fit, and a dab of glue will secure any that don't. Additionally the slider LEDs can be set as either constantly on or synchronized with the bit LEDs above. The switches are of the flatted variety, which are as satisfying to flip as a miniature switch can get. The jacks are the same stereo switching jacks from my prior group buy and are in my opinion the highest quality jacks currently in euro. The pots are 12mm Alphas, the rotary is PCB mounted with a smooth action, and the traces are imbued with unicorn hair. In short, these are all quality parts to which the board and panel have been tailor fitted.

Additionally the kit includes all of the SIP sockets, pin headers, and mounting hardware needed to integrate the daughterboard with the main boards, as well as a pre-built 10" cable for connecting to a Eurorack power busboard. Please note that the daughterboard kit does NOT include the components that will be placed into the Analogue/Digital board (capacitors, diodes, ICs, etc) - see the "What Else Do I Need?" section below for more info.

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....

Analogue/Digital Board Revision (Nov. 2014):

As of November 2014 the daughterboard kits now include a revised version of the electro-music Analogue/Digital boards. The changes to the board include the following:
  • Elimination of MTA cables/headers
  • Merging from two separate boards into one large board
  • Modification of vias to eliminate common builder errors
  • Tailoring of silkscreen and layout to better suit the daughterboard build
The revised Analogue/Digital board will mate with the daughterboard in the same fashion as the past two runs. The build manual will be updated to reflect the changes.

For builders of past runs this means you no longer need to purchase the analogue/digital boards from electro-music - they are now included in the daughterboard kit.

All proceeds from the sale of the revised Analogue/Digital board will be going towards the support of the electro-music forum, the place where the Klee was conceptualized and created.

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....

Panel/Daughterboard Kit Pricing:

Here is a Mouser BOM for the components I will be including in the kits (excluding wire) - the equivalent versions of the custom sliders and switches are featured, although obviously not in the custom dimensions. As of posting this the Mouser BOM comes in at just over $250. Since I purchased these parts in bulk the kits will be $200 - a $50 savings. The Panel and PCB combo will be $95. Note however that this is a package deal - the PCB, panel, and kit are all included in one go. I don't have any panels or PCBs without the kit as well. (Note: as of Nov. 2104 the kits now also include the revised Analogue/Digital board. The total price has increased to reflect this.)

Altogether the total price for the panel, daughterboard, Analogue/Digital board, and component kit will be $345 plus shipping.

Ordering:

Shipping will be via USPS Priority for both domestic and international. These are the cheapest options I found - the package is 14" wide and over the First Class weight limit. Charges will vary by country under the following terms:

USA - $18
Canada - $44
Anywhere else - $56

Shipping for more than one kit will be individually calculated by location.

If you're interested in purchasing a kit send an email to timgoslin at gmail dot com with the subject "Klee Order" expressing the following:
  • PayPal email address
  • Country to be shipped to
  • Quantity of kits desired
  • Forum name (if applicable)
I will send a PayPal invoice to the address you provide. Make sure your PayPal shipping address is the address you wish the kit to be shipped to since that's the one that will show up on the label. Please use email only for your order and use this thread or PMs for questions to help me keep things organized - an email with the necessary information is the only way to assure an order. I'll reserve kits as they come and will send invoices out in groups - the list below will be updated each time that happens. If I've sent an invoice and haven't had any payment or communication for a week I'll have to cancel it and put the kit back up for grabs. I'll send plenty of warnings before I cancel anything, but please communicate with me so I don't have to be a jerk about any of this. If you have a special circumstance PM me and we'll work something out. (Note: if you do not wish to include the revised Analogue/Digital board in your kit due to already owning a set from electro-music, please state so very clearly in your order email. Only do this if you already have a set from electro-music in hand!)

What Else Do I Need?:

The daughterboard kit does NOT include the circuitry components of the Analogue/Digital boards (capacitors, diodes, ICs, etc). These must be purchased separately.

To make things easier the illustrious Synthcube has used his talents to create a main Klee board component kit tailored to this project - check out his order page here. You can read the thread he posted about his kits here, which also includes a link to the Mouser BOM he is utilizing. His kit is customized to work with Eurorack power and gate specifications so you won't need to play around with getting the tolerances right. Amazingly it also includes all of the parts necessary for 15V operation as well if needed. And if all that wasn't reason enough his kit comes in about $20 cheaper than buying the parts on their own. Hell yes.

If you would prefer to source your own components a BOM for the Analogue/Digital boards can be found in the Analogue/Digital Board Build Manual in the "Documentation" post below, or a Mouser BOM can be found in the Synthcube thread linked just above.

This project was pursued from the beginning with the blessings of Scott Stites and Andrew Sharp, two brilliant and dedicated people who deserve all the praise they can get for everything they've done to make the Klee what it is. Go tell them how cool they are. An additional thank you to Howard Moscowitz of electro-music for allowing the redesign and inclusion of the electro-music Analogue/Digital boards in the kit - this makes everything easier for everyone, so give him a thank you for his generosity. An additional thank you goes to goiks for inspiration with his prior work of cramming a Klee into Euro - buy his cases dammit.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. An illustrated PDF build manual for the daughterboard kit is included as an attachment in the second post below. If you have any trouble building up the daughterboard I will do whatever I can to help, but please note that beyond the panel/daughterboard I'm not guaranteeing support for the main analogue/digital Klee boards. The Klee build documentation is amazingly extensive and if you have trouble I will pitch in advice and tips wherever I can, but I'm no Scott Stites - I just stalk him.

If you like your Klees fast and freaky, sleazy in silver, lit up like royalty, and with the body of a 48mm board, you will like this project.
NV
>========================= Documentation =========================<

Klee Manuals and Schematics:

The electro-music Klee forum is the de facto source of information for all things Klee. It's populated entirely by brilliance and merely setting foot in there earns you 10 Klee experience points.

Of particular note is the collection of manuals and schematics Scott has created for the Klee. He put an incredible amount of time and effort into them and it shows.

• The Analogue/Digital Board Build Manual will guide you through every step of building the main Klee analogue/digital boards. It also contains the Klee calibrating and testing procedures, which will get your Klee in top shape and prove that you pieced it all together correctly.

• The Know the Klee document will tell you all you need to know about what the Klee does, how it's different from other sequencers, and how you can utilize it in your music.

• The Klee Operational Tips is a must-read for your first trip with the Klee. It provides invaluable tips and tricks for getting you and your Klee in sync with one another.

• The Klee Schematics will help with any troubleshooting you may need to do or just to glimpse the inner workings of the Klee.

Panel/Daughterboard Kit Build Manual: (updated Aug.26, 2016)

The PDF file for the daughterboard kit assembly manual is attached to this post below. You need to be logged into the forum to see it so don't panic if it's not there.

2015 Builders Note:

The build for 2015 onward has some minor changes. They are explained in the latest revision of the manual, posted August 26th 2016. Please download the most recent revision before building. Here's a summary of some of the changes:

• No cutting the sideboard off from the daughterboard - the sideboard has been eliminated and is now included in the redesigned Analogue/Digital board. All the components that used to go on the sideboard now go into the spaces on the A/D board which are labeled the same way (a few pin headers and the euro power header)
  • 3 screw/standoff sets instead of 6 - placement for these should be easy to determine as there are now only 3 mounting holes in the daughterboard (the A/D board has 5 holes total but that's a "just in case" emergency mounting measure that no one using the daughterboard will ever need)
  • No MTA cables - everything is now routed to the headers on the board, so ignore the MTA cables and MTA headers sections (the white headers that stick out above the board rather than below)
  • 4x extra pot nuts change - some of the 4x extra pot nuts included in the kits have been found to not properly fit the pots. Fortunately this is a very minor aesthetic preference thing and doesn't affect the build except to make 4 of the smaller knobs about 1mm closer to the panel. If you still want to lower the knobs for those 4 pots this is easily remedied with pretty much any typical metal/nylon/rubber washer you may have lying around your house. You can find an explanation of it all in this post.

Building up the Analogue/Digital boards is the same as detailed in Scott Stites manual - the layout is the same, the components are the same, the calibration and all else is the same. The silkscreen is flipped for the digital board just to make it easier to read but the locations are all the same. Other than these details if you follow the old daughterboard manual you'll be set.
NV
>============================= Orders =============================<

Spares are currently available for order!

Please see the first post for pricing and ordering information. Ignore the "Future Orders" section below - this only applies to when kits are no longer available.

Information for Future Orders:

As of this writing ordering for kits is closed. If enough interest accumulates for another run then we'll do another. If you would like to register interest in one or more kits please follow all of the same email ordering information listed in the first post. Here's that information again:

Send an email to timgoslin at gmail dot com with the subject "Klee Order" expressing the following:
  • PayPal email address
  • Country to be shipped to
  • Quantity of kits desired
  • Forum name and origin (E-M or Muff's)

Once I receive that information I will file your name into an interest list. If the total expressed interest meets the minimum I will open things back up for another run.

Please note: Sending the ordering information via email is at this time an expression of interest only - you will not need to pay anything unless the order is announced as officially going through. Likewise sending an email does not guarantee that the order will happen, although please only express your interest if you are truly willing to purchase a kit in another run.

It may take a long time for enough interest to accumulate or there may not be enough interest at all, so your best bet would be to send the email and then forget about it. If we reach a point of things happening I will send emails to everyone on the list and update this thread with all of the information, as well as allow some time for additional orders to trickle in. I'll provide plenty of warning so people will have time to get in.
doobedy
Holy crap.

I just got some Thomas Henry VCO pcbs + panels from Fonik, with a separate pcb for the panel, no wiring involved...and my very first thought how awesome it would be to have the same for the Klee.

And there we go. Thats really lovely.

thumbs up
Microscopial
will you lie thru your teeth on the import form lmao, applause
Dego
MY ASS IS BLEEDING good Work
fonik
wow. and i had a daughterboard designed already (wanted to order it later this year) very frustrating

but 300 bucks for a complete kit is awesome. and since i have another set of klee PCBs already...
doobedy
fonik wrote:
wow. and i had a daughterboard designed already (wanted to order it later this year) very frustrating

but 300 bucks for a complete kit is awesome. and since i have another set of klee PCBs already...

Hah. You had the same thought.

I'm not sure I can say no to this, honestly.
Kent
Is there enough space in order to banana-fy the sucker?
doobedy
And I caved in record time. I'm in, details sent.

w00t
the bad producer
This is truly fucking great, having hand wired two I really appreciate this!

Kent wrote:

Also, what he said ???? It's peanut butter jelly time! or sad banana hihi
NV
Kent wrote:

The depth from the panel to the daughterboard is about 14mm if built the shallow way. If you aren't using the 3.5mm jacks you can push the board out to about an 18mm depth and still have room to solder the switch pins into the board. The only caveat is that the further you push the board the shorter the slider levers will be, but even at an 18mm depth they'll still protrude about 8mm from the board.

The jacks are 11.25mm apart from each other, so any nuts under that size will fit. The jacks used have a much larger sleeve than most 3.5mm jacks so the drill holes are 8mm - that should be enough to accommodate some brands of banana jacks without having to use the word "ream." Synthcube has mentioned a brand of bananas that he uses interchangeably with these jacks, so he would definitely know the answer to that.

The jack pads on the board are clearly labeled and rather large, so you shouldn't have any trouble soldering some wires in. The only jacks which utilize the switching feature are the Random jack (for the persistent load on/off function) and the Clock jack (for the system clock normalization deal). Both of these features are mods I added and are not necessary for a functioning Klee, so you don't need to kludge another switch in unless you're keen on them.
CJ Miller
NV wrote:
The Panel and PCB combo will be $95. Note however that this is a package deal - the PCB, panel, and kit are all included in one go. I don't have any panels or PCBs without the kit as well.

Calling the package a "deal" is somewhat optimistic. I won't buy the package, due to parts redundancy.

NV wrote:
If you like your Klees fast and freaky, sleazy in silver, lit up like royalty, and with the body of a 48mm board, you will like this project.

The project looks great. But I don't know if I understand this glib writing about it here.
sneak-thief
For the love of all good things in the universe, BUY NV's KLEE KIT!

A thing of beauty, I decree.

The DIY alternative is only for the truly insane:

limpmeat
this is very tempting...
doobedy
CJ Miller wrote:
NV wrote:
The Panel and PCB combo will be $95. Note however that this is a package deal - the PCB, panel, and kit are all included in one go. I don't have any panels or PCBs without the kit as well.

Calling the package a "deal" is somewhat optimistic. I won't buy the package, due to parts redundancy.

NV wrote:

The project looks great. But I don't know if I understand this glib writing about it here.

Are you an actual cyborg?!?! This what humans call "anthropomorphism" and "humor". Personally, I am glad NV clarified that I would indeed be getting those things. Now I can rest assured I will like this project. Especially the sleazy bits.

As far as parts redundancy, yup. Just toss any overlap in the parts bins. It sounds like NV ordered a kit for every panel and pcb set, so whatever. Suck it up. Or don't!
doobedy
sneak-thief wrote:
For the love of all good things in the universe, BUY NV's KLEE KIT!

A thing of beauty, I decree.

The DIY alternative is only for the truly insane:

woah
NV
CJ Miller wrote:
Calling the package a "deal" is somewhat optimistic. I won't buy the package, due to parts redundancy.

I'm sorry to hear that. I approached it as a kit because in order to make this work as a daughterboard I had to utilize custom parts that cannot be found at distributors - in particular 14mm deep switching jacks and 20mm slider actuators with a 30mm throw. To acquire even one of these parts I needed to order them by the thousands. Once it reached that point it seemed logical to throw in everything else and make it a complete kit.

My intention was to find a way to make the Klee a viable project for people who have not pursued it in the past either due to difficulty or expense. I felt that offering an integrated daughterboard, panel, and complete kit at a reduced price compared to Mouser and similar was the ideal method of doing that. The Klee has always been viewed as an upper echelon sort of project, and so it was my hope to make it something that the less experienced can get into and become excited about. I understand others may disagree.

CJ Miller wrote:

Just some humor. It's a fast build...48mm deep.....silver..........has lights...............
bsmith
This is really cool! I just wish that matthew's name was somehow on the panel - there is quite a bit more than just inspiration here on what he did - I mean this is his panel layout with some jazzed up (in a very cool way) labeling. Daughterboard is greatness, way to go.

Edit:
Hey goiks is totally credited on the pcb and he's down with everything that's going on here - I was a bit of a shit for making a post like this instead of just inquitring privately if I had some kind of concern - this project is wicked!!!
bleeps
I am so down for this! applause
russma
WOW. Really nice work there.

Guinness ftw!
NV
bsmith wrote:
This is really cool! I just wish that matthew's name was somehow on the panel - there is quite a bit more than just inspiration here on what he did - I mean this is his panel layout with some jazzed up (in a very cool way) labeling.

I made the decision to keep the panel credits for Scott as the original designer and for electro-music as the contributors to his work in creating the Klee. I didn't put my name on the panel either.

Goiks is credited on the PCB, along with the many others I could not fit onto the panel. I also spoke with him about the panel and my plans before pursuing it and received his blessing. The tolerances, spacing, features, and location of components are all heavily altered to accommodate the daughterboard and the additions and modifications - I ended up going with a fresh milling file from scratch upon realizing this, but drew from his design for the inspiration from there.

bsmith
Right on - really not trying to start shit, and the whole thing looks great - if brother gave his nod then that's good enough for me, and yay for the credit on the pcb - I'd definitely like to do one, and will have to see what can be done about that. nsfw got my klee build with goiks panel, sure am missing it, the labeling on this really is tits.
gwaidan
Awesome, just awesome! hyper
diablojoy
hmm I dont build in euro
however still very interesting
I have 2 Klee's in my backlog
edit ; 56 HP just how big is the panel in mm ?
I was planning on doing mine in 19 inch
with 1/4 inch jacks but it may still work for me
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next [all]
Page 1 of 56