MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Incoming: RPSU and HVM
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Incoming: RPSU and HVM
Synthbuilder
Just a quick heads up before any official announcement. The Human Voice Module (HVM) and rack power supply (RPSU) PCBs are now available to purchase. However, I haven't done photos, sound samples or the documentation yet.

But if you trust me and want to purchase one of the limited run of first issue boards, or just want to know more, then go here:

http://www.oakleysound.com/hvm.htm & http://www.oakleysound.com/rpsu.htm

Tony
Paradigm X
Wow. The hvm looks absolutely what i was hoping for. All the extra controls on headers look amazing.

cant wait to read about and build this thing. something obvious im hoping is possible so will need to wait and see.

ive actually got the deep equinoxe in a 2u rack so could potentially use the spare space ive got to house the hvm and se1 in one 70s case.....

Rockin' Banana!
terjewinther
As I have both the Korg Delta and the Roland VP-330, I probably don´t need this. But then, it is so tempting! Could leave the heavy keyboards at home and just bring a cheesy lightweight string machine and this card. Very tempting! Have you done any A/B testing with the originals? Also, what kind of delay lines are used?
pulse_divider
The Delta is one of the lightest weight string machines I can think of!
Even the tiny Elka 490 Rhapsody is heavier.
But yeah, that sounds like it would be a sweet FX box. I'm trying to come up with some cash to build the HVM and might do something similar.
terjewinther
Lambda, not the Delta. My mistake. The HVM module is based on the Lambda, which is a heavy keyboard. I have both the Lambda and the Delta, so no wonder I am confused.
Synthbuilder
terjewinther wrote:
Have you done any A/B testing with the originals?

With the VP-330 only with recordings and a sample set that Norman Fay did years ago. With the Lambda, yes.

But both the Roland and Korg use different methods to generate their source waves so I'd expect some differences. The Roland uses a single set of divide down ramp generators and then passes them, post filtering, through a quad ensemble. The Korg has no ensemble (actually it does, but it's overkill when used on the chorus preset) but uses instead three sets of divide down ramp generators. For my samples I used the raw sawtooth output of my JP-6 but any sawtooth would do.

terjewinther wrote:
Also, what kind of delay lines are used?

There is no BBDs used in the HVM. This is a filter network only. It could be used with a standard ensemble pedal or external FX box if using a single sawtooth - which is what I did for the first set of samples. Or you could use the output of an existing string machine, such as the Delta or Solina.

There will be an Oakley quad ensemble unit later this season called the SE-1. More news on that when it's nearer the completion date.

Tony
Paradigm X
So, are the bandpass filters centre frequenecies twiddleable? I see theyre not on headers, but my simple brain thinks it might be possible to adjust if i replace resistors with pots?

Ideally, im after a 'vocal filter', a la jim patchell etc, or similar. Im guessing the lambda/v330 are fixed bands to 'accurately' replicate the desired frequency response?

Either way, grabbing.

Cheers, best
Ben
terjewinther
Thanks Tony, this makes sense to me.
If the SE-1 is mono-to-stereo, it will be perfect.
...and in the general idea of down-sizing my live rig, it seems to fit nicely in. An order is coming.
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
So, are the bandpass filters centre frequenecies twiddleable? I see theyre not on headers, but my simple brain thinks it might be possible to adjust if i replace resistors with pots?

Not twiddleable I'm afraid. The network filter banks are direct clones of the originals. To make them adjustable would need a four gang pot for each of the seven resonators.

Paradigm X wrote:
Ideally, im after a 'vocal filter', a la jim patchell etc,

Alas, it's not going to do that. Not in the morphing ee-ooh-ahh sort of way. Maybe one of these days I'll do something that will. But for now the easiest way to do this is on a computer. Vaz modular has a nice one.

Tony
numbertalk
Very excited about the HVM. 2 questions:

1) I could see wanting this as a rack or stand-alone unit. Any thoughts on how I could wire up a power supply to be able to connect this to mains? I know it would be possible, JH use to do it for some of his circuits and I've built many of them this way. Anyone know of any stand-alone board that are available I could put in front of this circuit?

2) What level signal is it expecting, for "optimal" sound? Will it sound just as good on the output of my Minimoog or Juno as it would with a 10vp-p VCO from my modular?

Thanks!
Synthbuilder
numbertalk wrote:
I could see wanting this as a rack or stand-alone unit. Any thoughts on how I could wire up a power supply to be able to connect this to mains? I know it would be possible, JH use to do it for some of his circuits and I've built many of them this way. Anyone know of any stand-alone board that are available I could put in front of this circuit?

The HVM is designed to be used as a standalone project. I would anticipate most users will put theirs into a 19" rack. It should take up half a rack width - leaving space for perhaps another project.

The PSU needed can be any +/-12V or +/-15V supply. But the Oakley RPSU has been designed for this very purpose.

More details:

http://www.oakleysound.com/rpsu.htm

numbertalk wrote:
What level signal is it expecting, for "optimal" sound? Will it sound just as good on the output of my Minimoog or Juno as it would with a 10vp-p VCO from my modular?

Standard line level but it can cope with modular levels too. There's an input level control to adjust the sensitivity. And with a couple of resistor changes it will be able to deal with even smaller signals too.

Tony
Paradigm X
Synthbuilder wrote:
Paradigm X wrote:

Not twiddleable I'm afraid. The network filter banks are direct clones of the originals. To make them adjustable would need a four gang pot for each of the seven resonators.

uim actually still considering these, depending on the values needed it could be not 'much' more than normal pots...

What would be the result of using 14 dual gangs out of interest?

Guess i should wait til ive bought and got schematics.

Cheers Tony.
Synthbuilder
Actually, I don't think you could do it even with quad gang pots. Well, not in any controlled manner. Basically, the Vox mode consists of 14 Deliyannis filters. Each of the seven frequency bands being achieved by two near identical deliyannis resonators in series.

More about Deliyannis filters can be found in Electronotes EN73 and EN91. I've used them before in the Oakley Octal Resonator (a bit of a sales flop that one) but there's various pages about them on the net as well as Yves FFB page here:

http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/BANK/index.html

Again, Yves used fixed frequencies because to maintain Q while changing Fc is not trivial.

Tony
numbertalk
Sorry I managed to totally space on the RPSU being a big part of this thread. This is excellent! Will be ordering these both soon. Thanks!

Synthbuilder wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
I could see wanting this as a rack or stand-alone unit. Any thoughts on how I could wire up a power supply to be able to connect this to mains? I know it would be possible, JH use to do it for some of his circuits and I've built many of them this way. Anyone know of any stand-alone board that are available I could put in front of this circuit?

The HVM is designed to be used as a standalone project. I would anticipate most users will put theirs into a 19" rack. It should take up half a rack width - leaving space for perhaps another project.

The PSU needed can be any +/-12V or +/-15V supply. But the Oakley RPSU has been designed for this very purpose.

More details:

http://www.oakleysound.com/rpsu.htm

numbertalk wrote:
What level signal is it expecting, for "optimal" sound? Will it sound just as good on the output of my Minimoog or Juno as it would with a 10vp-p VCO from my modular?

Standard line level but it can cope with modular levels too. There's an input level control to adjust the sensitivity. And with a couple of resistor changes it will be able to deal with even smaller signals too.

Tony
numbertalk
Synthbuilder wrote:
But if you trust me and want to purchase one of the limited run of first issue boards

How limited? I am planning to order both of these in ~2 weeks, after my credit card statement closes for the month. Would I definitely be able to get 1 of each at this time or should I order now?
Synthbuilder
numbertalk wrote:
How limited?

Don't worry. I've got about fifteen left. I don't think they'll all go in the next couple of weeks

Tony
numbertalk
Synthbuilder wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
How limited?

Don't worry. I've got about fifteen left. I don't think they'll all go in the next couple of weeks

Tony

Great thanks!!
Paradigm X
Synthbuilder wrote:
Actually, I don't think you could do it even with quad gang pots. Well, not in any controlled manner. Basically, the Vox mode consists of 14 Deliyannis filters. Each of the seven frequency bands being achieved by two near identical deliyannis resonators in series.

More about Deliyannis filters can be found in Electronotes EN73 and EN91. I've used them before in the Oakley Octal Resonator (a bit of a sales flop that one) but there's various pages about them on the net as well as Yves FFB page here:

http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/BANK/index.html

Again, Yves used fixed frequencies because to maintain Q while changing Fc is not trivial.

Tony

Cool, sorry, thought id replied to this.

I can see from Yves' formulae the difficulties. Yikes.

But please do consider a vocal filter type thing, even a simple one, theres none really available apart from jims insame thing. With minimal/no wiring, its would be awesome.

Cheers
Ben
terjewinther
I am building the HVM module, and plan to put it in a case with the chorus unit (when it is ready). I am also building the little RPSU power board, and plan to drive the two modules from a single wall-wart. I have a lot of those small single-power (two wires) 18V / 300mA wall-warts. Will that be sufficient?
terjewinther
In the builders guide version 1.0.1 (which is the current on the web site) of the RPSU the diodes D1 and D2 are missing. They are there in the schematics (and in the photos of the completed kit), and should be 1N4004 (or 1N4002).
terjewinther
...and C7 + C8 electrolytics are missing from the component list in the builders guide. Seems to be 10uF from the schematics.
numbertalk
Hi Tony, I sent you an email last week for an order of these 2 PCBs but haven't heard back. Just checking here in case you didn't receive my messages.

Thanks.
Synthbuilder
terjewinther wrote:
In the builders guide version 1.0.1 (which is the current on the web site) of the RPSU the diodes D1 and D2 are missing.

...and C7 + C8 electrolytics are missing from the component list in the builders guide. Seems to be 10uF from the schematics.

Thanks Terje for spotting that and letting me know. I have now updated the Builder's Guide with the correct parts.

Tony
Synthbuilder
numbertalk wrote:
Hi Tony, I sent you an email last week for an order of these 2 PCBs but haven't heard back.

Got them now. I've been on holiday for the last ten days and I'll be wading through my inbox all day today. Hopefully, you'll get a reply in the next hour or two.

Tony
terjewinther
Almost finished building both the power supply and the HVM. I thought I had all the components in my drawer, but there is always something missing.
I found the answer to the power: it needs a bigger power pack, probably something like 1000mA. I have several around, so I will find one I can use, but: what is the suggested +/- wiring: minus in the middle of the power contact, or is + in the middle more common?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2