MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EXCITING ARDCORE NEWS---NEW SKETCH TOO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author EXCITING ARDCORE NEWS---NEW SKETCH TOO
loss1234
I have been diving back into Ardcore related programming and planning again. I am pretty sure I will SOON BE RELEASING THE EURO-RACK ARDCORE GATE/TRIG EXPANDER MODULE...yes we have found a way to do it.

I said it wasnt going to happen BUT I think people want it so.....

BUT in more immediate news...I have stumbled upon a wonderful, open-source library for Arduino called MOZZI...AND these people have gone to the trouble of making really nice sounding filters, OSCILLATORS, etc and they are all open, and we can use them in ardcore patches! in fact, tonight I found a sketch which used a MOZZI FILTER and I manipulated it just enough to work with 4 knobs and jack D0 as the output!

So try it out...and google MOZZI. its basically a zip file full of libraries that you put in your libraries folder and then you learn how to call them, etc.

I THINK IT WILL MEAN A LOT OF NEW AUDIO BASED SKETCHES FOR THE ARDCORE!! GOOD SOUNDING STUFF!

by the way, for this code to work, i think you need to remove the FILTER tabs, and just use the MOZZI library in your libraries directory...email if you get stuck
anyway, try this sketch. if it doesnt work, you might need to put the H and CPP files in your LIBRARIES directory in your sketchbook...let me know
Matos
oh yeah!!! i want an expander por favor señor. About to test this sketch now. where's that pesky cable now.... d'oh!
mckenic
applause

Great news on the expander! I really can see 2 Ardcores in my future... TBH there isn't another module I'm lusting after quite as much! Turing expander, A-199 & 2 Ardcores then I think I'm done!!!

applause thumbs up
AsceticUnderground
fantastic news grin i cant wait to get one of those expanders, definitely opens up a lot of possibility.
That library looks cool as well, i'll have to have a play about with it.
ikkini
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
loss1234
well last night I was working with a prototype of the expander.

my thoughts so far

1. it should have two extra analog inputs (jacks and pots)
2. it should have the 8 bits as separate outs.

Pin 11, the most commonly used pin for non-dac based arduino sketches, should have its own extra out with a very basic filter for PWM audio.

it should take up as little HP as possible.

Sound good?
mckenic
Sounds very good indeed!!!

Exciting times!
AsceticUnderground
That sounds like a great plan for the expander, im really excited about this. The one thing i wish the ardcore did was negative voltage out, could you do that with your pin 11 expander plan? If so this will be the best module ever (for a geek like me)

Inspired by your discovery of mozzi i made this experimental lfo, it uses some of the mozzi Oscil code to do some pretty cool stuff, reset on the clock input, speed on a2, fm (kind of, if you have a scope you could get this right but i dont have an otool yet so i do what i can razz It makes some groovy shapes though) on a3. As with all the stuff i've done its experimental and not really perfect but you can get some really cool shapes out of it to mod things with, its really quite a useful sketch, it could do with some more waveforms etc..... but whatever razz Also the big issue is cos it uses mozzi theres some output on the digital pins we dont want, i dont have time to edit their code to get rid of this sadly so no EOR trigger which would have been nice. but still the dac out does the good stuff for us.

You'll need mozzi installed in your arduino software to run it though (i didnt really want to distribute their code on my github) http://sensorium.github.com/Mozzi/

phew! list of caveats over, if you can stomach all that though give it a try, you shouldnt be disappointed (and if you are, its free! so suck it up)

you can get it here, its ASCTard005 https://github.com/asceticunderground/ASCT-Ardcore

let me know what y'all think
loss1234
very very cool
!!!!!
a couple things

id comment out your serial read

also...he has some fast analog read functions in the library called

mozzi_analog.h which seem to help a lot

if you dont mind, i will email this to the mozzi guy and see if he can recommend any optimizations

I must say i am really impressed that you figured out how to get audio routed to the DAC using his libraries.

his filter library actually sounds really really good, BUT as of yet I cant figure out how to make it process external audio, only the oscil players

but still...LOTS AND LOTS of potential to MOZZI

also...as I have started working on the expander, i have been able to hear it on ONE PWM out with filtering...it sounds quite good

anyway...negative voltages? on the output? you mean a dc offset applied to the out of the arcore?

or do you mean the in? the in would require more work

comments?

thanks
AsceticUnderground
Glad you like the sketch Dan, your totally right about the serial read, what a dingus I am! I've recommitted it to the git with it commented out now, thanks for letting me know.

I'll check out the analog read functions as well, i really knocked this together in a couple of hours to see if i could do something fun with mozzi so theres a million improvements that could be made to it, feel free to pass it on to the guy who made mozzi if you want, im sure he can suggest some ways to make it a much better sketch. As usual time is the killer, if only i didnt have a job razz

Getting the oscil to the dac wasnt too hard as all the tables are just arrays of -127 to 127 values and the oscil functions basically just read those out at a phase position so with a little scaling they are good to go for the ardcore.

I've not tried this yet but looking at the mozzi state variable filter sketch you should be able to do something similar, this is pure speculation as its too late at night to start more programming but if you look at this line in the update audio loop of the state variable filter example

return svf.next(aNoise.next())>>3;

you should be able to alter it to be

$var =svf.next(ardcoreinput scaled to -127 to 127) >>3
(maybe you dont need the bitshifting at the end, i dunno what scale svf outputs) and then you could rescale $var so you get to between 0 and 255 and send it to the DAC. As i say i've not tested it so i could be COMPLETELY off base here but thats what springs to mind when looking at it (You also could move it to the loop rather than update audio)

As for the inputs/outputs, yeah both please, i always end up scaling things, offsetting etc..... before and after i send stuff into the ardcore and it'd be nice to free up my cvtools for some other duties razz Its not like it kills me not to have it, but i might as well shout out my wishlist if the expander is coming wink
numan7
loss1234 wrote:

my thoughts so far

Pin 11, the most commonly used pin for non-dac based arduino sketches, should have its own extra out with a very basic filter for PWM audio.

Sound good?

SlayerBadger! sounds wonderful, snazzydan!

cheers
FSK1138
i really need this expander - hyper
the ardcore just keeps getting better -

i will be getting another ardcore so make that 2 expanders love love
Neo
loss1234 wrote:

my thoughts so far

Sound good?

Sounds good,
Extra analog inputs would be aaaawwwwwwwwwwwweeesssooome!
A built in filter for pwm out would be great too (I'm trying to make some DIY ones).
The most useful expansion for me though would be a second 8 bit out, or (now I'm being completely ridiculous) a 16 bit out. Probably not practical but just thought I'd mention it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1