MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

GROUP BUY - Pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author GROUP BUY - Pots
bubblesound
Hi guys - it's getting close to ordering time for me and following the lead of Flight of Harmony I thought I'd open it up to you guys, if anyone is interested.

I'll be ordering PCB mounted 16MM Alpha clones. Right now I'm just planning on 10K, 50K and 100K linear, but I'd be happy to get other values as long as we got close to the minimum, which is 1000 pieces.

right now the price is $.16/each + shipping which should bring it to $.25-.35/each+ getting them to you. I'd imagine that would work out to about $.35-.40/each in the end. I'll be working on the shipping with the vendor and try to get that as low as I can, it may mean it'll take a little longer getting here but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

there is a 30 lead time to produce the pots once they have been paid for and i'm looking to place this order in about 1 month. i've attached a datasheet for the pots.
goiks
yes please. 100 each of 50K and 100K. 50 10K. and a couple of uLFOs. hyper

i'd be up for 100 25k as well.
Veqtor
What shaft type will they be?
bubblesound
Veqtor wrote:
What shaft type will they be?

the 50K and 100K will be round and smooth
i think the 10Ks are going to be knurled, but that might change.
just like the values, if there are enough people that want D-shafts or knurled we can do that, too.
Malekko
Please tell me you're not sourcing knock offs for your production modules.
cheap pots=bad

for example, a pedal buddy of mine got several thousand pots for a "good deal" they were shit....now they have a ton of warrantee work to do due to them failing. This may seem like a good plan but my guess is it isnt.
you can get actual alpha for .40 in quantity all day long (if you try...probably less)
Noble pots in quantity are them same, but even better quality.
my .02
Waz
I agree!
Malekko
Waz wrote:
I agree!

(yay! a person agrees..i'm not alone)

I didnt pipe up at the 1/10000 of a penny jack thread because i didnt want to "make waves" but that's the same thing...i've seen plenty of bad jacks...ones that dont make good connection and the metal is so poor that it isnt "springy" you tighten the nut and the whole shaft spins, poor threads etc. (same with switches, knobs etc) I feel it is our "duty" as manufacturers to assemble the best quality modules we can...and not cut corners in quality. It simply isnt fair to the consumer. Sure you make a little less on each module, but in the long run...if you have a bunch of failures you arent going to sell any anyway. You sell your company short with a poor reputation

okay, i'm off my Soapbox
bubblesound
these are not cheap, crappy pots. several other synth companies are using them. i've got samples coming and i'll be testing them against what i've been using and alphas. i've been through this process before, i went through 4 or 5 companies before i found the company that's been supplying my pots up till now.

i know the difference between good parts and bad. i'm not going to but a bunch of garbage and then dump it on you guys nor am i getting cheap and cutting corners to the ultimate detriment of my company. we've seen plenty of that happening lately.

i appreciate your advice and i couldn't agree more about the duty to produce as good of a product as we can. it's just that sometimes price and quality are not directly proportionate. the jacks i'm using are 1/5 the price of the switchcrafts i started using but are much studier and i have had none of the new jacks fail while the switchcrafts failed 5-10% of the time.
Cat-A-Tonic
I'm up for getting a bunch of pots if you cross your heart that they are quality.

Do you have any recommendations of approximate ratios of pot value usage?
At a glance it seems that 50k are used the most, with 100k not far behind, and 10k in the minority.
This assumption is probably skewed by my familiarity with Blacet.
bubblesound
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I'm up for getting a bunch of pots if you cross your heart that they are quality.

Do you have any recommendations of approximate ratios of pot value usage?
At a glance it seems that 50k are used the most, with 100k not far behind, and 10k in the minority.
This assumption is probably skewed by my familiarity with Blacet.

well, i'll be using them so we can all go down together... but yeah, whether i go with song-huei or with the my original vendor they'll be good pots.

50K and 100K seem to be the most popular, 10Ks are mostly in ADSRs but i'm getting them for a friend of mine who builds guitar pedals, lots of 10Ks in guitar pedals apparently. there are a lot of 25K pots in serge stuff, and i assume in CGS projects.
scozbor
i'm keen. would also get some 25ks.

50 x 50k
50 x 100k
30 x 25k

*edit - actually i don't know if this will be enough. will have to think about it.

i dont mind what type of shaft too much. i kinda like being at the mercy of knobs sad banana hihi
suitandtieguy
i have bought 24mm pots made by this company, from a random online distributor on a whim. i thought they were good pots and i felt totally comfortable shipping the modules i used them on. this was a couple of years ago, and i haven't seen the modules since so i'm assuming they worked just fine.

however, i didn't use them again because the shaft was too long and i like my knobs to low-ride like they had the Virgin Mary painted on the hood. it's a bit unfortunate though as i liked their heavier feel ... the rotational torque was very strong and lent itself to careful adjustments.

those were the 24mm pots though ... i haven't seen their 16mm pots.
robotfunk
I'd be up for

50x 50K
50x 100K
Veqtor
Okay, I'm up for:
100 x 50K
100 x 100K
jenamu6
Is there a minimum or could I go for 20 each?
bubblesound
jenamu6 wrote:
Is there a minimum or could I go for 20 each?

no minimum. get as many or as few as you want.

in about 3 weeks i'll make an announcement that the list is closing soon. when i've closed it i'll send you a PM to confirm your order. i'll make a last call for the stragglers and then place the order. there i don't think we'll be needing cash up front. when i send you your confirmation PM i'll give you an approximation of your total including shipping from me to you.

one last thing, the shaft length is 15MM.
authorless
if i can get some money together i will get some. but i also need your LFO and another case... sigh! you all are going to make me put my electronics degree to use with your sweet group buys aren't you?
flight
Just stepping in to support this - these are the same brand of pots that I use. I think they are phenomenal quality for carbon pots, and Song Huei is an excellent company to work with (unless you are in Germany apparently, then you have to go through a dealer because of some contract).

They aren't really Alpha "clones" though. I have not been able to find out who first came up with these pot designs, but Alpha is the brand most are familiar with that also makes these styles. I have found more than 50 other companies that make them, so who knows? seriously, i just don't get it
Henfield
bubblesound wrote:
10Ks are mostly in ADSRs but i'm getting them for a friend of mine who builds guitar pedals, lots of 10Ks in guitar pedals apparently. there are a lot of 25K pots in serge stuff, and i assume in CGS projects.

Yes, most of the ADSR projects I have looked at use a 10K Linear pot, but they will use (3) 1M Log pots as well. I will get back to you on many of the 100K and 50K I would want, I will take 10K if they are not the knurled shaft style, and I would like to gget 1M log, if there is enough demand and they are available from the same manufacturer.
bananeurysm
I have a couple noob questions if someone doesn't mind giving me some advice. smile

Will Davies 1900h knobs fit these pots?

Also - I'm hoping to use these for some serge-alike CGS panels... it doesn't look like these pots have solder lugs- will wiring them be a pain? Would it be more worth it for me to buy more expensive pots with solder lugs on them?
pickleinn
I would take 50 to 100 of the 100K depending on the final price.
And 25 each of the 50K and 10K

thanks for working this out.
Ryan
astroschnautzer
bananeurysm wrote:
I have a couple noob questions if someone doesn't mind giving me some advice. smile

Also - I'm hoping to use these for some serge-alike CGS panels... it doesn't look like these pots have solder lugs- will wiring them be a pain? Would it be more worth it for me to buy more expensive pots with solder lugs on them?
I`m kind of wondering about this myself too....
pickleinn
bananeurysm wrote:

I dont think there will be too much problem.....they are 1/4", Round and smooth. the only issue i could maybe see is the length. 15mm long is 0.590". the longest I have used so far (with davis knobs) is 0.530" and those worked ok. Wost case is they need trimmed down a bit.
bubblesound
pickleinn wrote:
bananeurysm wrote:

I dont think there will be too much problem.....they are 1/4", Round and smooth. the only issue i could maybe see is the length. 15mm long is 0.590". the longest I have used so far (with davis knobs) is 0.530" and those worked ok. Wost case is they need trimmed down a bit.

they should work just fine. i've got a friend here that has a bunch of them, i'll take some pots with me next time i see him and i'll try them out and get back to you.
bananeurysm
sounds like I'll be in for a bunch - do you have an ETA for the group order deadline? ( i'm not as concerned over the actual shipping eta)

<grammer edit>
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5