MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY oscillator
astroschnautzer
I`m in search of some diy oscillators and would be open for some suggestions.

first i need something for normal synth purposes with all the normal stuff, exp and lin FM, pulse, triangle, saw ,sine etc. A vintage sound like on moogs or buchlas would be a plus.
Then something abit more weird like those throughzero oscs or something else not so normal mayby a digital one mayby a PLL or similar.

The cgs boards seems to be out of stock, how do they sound? Or does it completly depend on what kind of components you put in them?
valis
There's tons of DIY VCOs out there. There was a great thread on MW about books and modular synthesis. Many of those books have great schematics for VCOs. You may also be interested in Rene Schmitz' VCOs

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/

and this posting by Nicholas

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32689

(I'm in the process of building one of those right now).

I also have two MFOS VCOs which was a simple build, have many functions, and sound nice.
Hi5
one thing to consider for a more typical vco would be to check out
http://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/products/hmvco1b
very small footprint and the majority of the vco work has been done for you. a few external components and you have a tri-core vco with exp and linear fm, pwm, sync, tri/saw/square outputs. no sine but you diy a saw to sine converter. plus it is sealed so it is super temp regulated = stable.
i just got 2 and hopefully can get a module made with some extra features.

oh also, internal voltage regulator on it allows 12 of 15 volt operation.
krisp14u
http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/vco.htm
Synesthesia
Any DIY VCO project for eurorack format ? huh?
parasitk
Synesthesia wrote:
Any DIY VCO project for eurorack format ? huh?


It's DIY, so just build it for Euro? Most projects have notes about running at 12v or 15v...
decaying.sine
There is some great information from Paul at MOTM and others in this thread.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6532&start=20

This includes an additional website that can be used in coordination with the construction of MOTM models (e.g., the VCO, MOTM-300).
Roycie Roller
astroschnautzer wrote:
I`m in search of some diy oscillators and would be open for some suggestions.

first i need something for normal synth purposes with all the normal stuff, exp and lin FM, pulse, triangle, saw ,sine etc. A vintage sound like on moogs or buchlas would be a plus.
Then something abit more weird like those throughzero oscs or something else not so normal mayby a digital one mayby a PLL or similar.

The cgs boards seems to be out of stock, how do they sound? Or does it completly depend on what kind of components you put in them?


Ian Fritz' Teezer Thru-Zero vco is awesome!!!
Can do crazy shit, and be used as a normal VCO.
astroschnautzer
I think I have to stick to pcb`s for now so only shematics are out of the question. The oakley seems to sound great and the motm too, how about the teezer, how is its basic sound?
nP
The YUSynth VCO might be worth a shot, I got two and love em.
fluxmonkey
astroschnautzer wrote:
The cgs boards seems to be out of stock, how do they sound? Or does it completly depend on what kind of components you put in them?


the catgirl circuit is based on Terry Michael's design originally published in electronotes... it is an excellent design, and something of a standard--many of the the commercial VCOs use the same core. it'a a great basic VCO, and ken's variable waveshaper and suboctive options add some personality. can't beat the price, probably worth the wait for them to come back in stock.

b
Roycie Roller
astroschnautzer wrote:
I think I have to stick to pcb`s for now so only shematics are out of the question. The oakley seems to sound great and the motm too, how about the teezer, how is its basic sound?


There's some samples of it in this thread-

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-29149-250.html
frijitz
astroschnautzer wrote:
I think I have to stick to pcb`s for now so only shematics are out of the question. The oakley seems to sound great and the motm too, how about the teezer, how is its basic sound?

Demos are also posted here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7622&highlight=zero

grin

Ian
worker8
Most DIY VCO are saw core VCO (MFOS, Yusynth, CGS).

Thomas Henry have a triangle core one but kits are not easily available.

Suggestion ?
astroschnautzer
fluxmonkey wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:
The cgs boards seems to be out of stock, how do they sound? Or does it completly depend on what kind of components you put in them?


the catgirl circuit is based on Terry Michael's design originally published in electronotes... it is an excellent design, and something of a standard--many of the the commercial VCOs use the same core. it'a a great basic VCO, and ken's variable waveshaper and suboctive options add some personality. can't beat the price, probably worth the wait for them to come back in stock.

b
Are there any soundsamples on the net, it would be nice to hear it.
Funky40
I would not give too much weight to the basic sound of the VCOs.
the good VCOs are all sounding nice and are much closer regarding the sound of raw Waveformns than you might think when reading posts on messageboards.

I choose my VCOs by what i like to patch in first place and not by the question which one sounds better.
Soemtimes i just like to have a Huge Frequenzy range going from LFO speed to supersonic.
On the other side are those VCOs that deliver this not as conftable to patch when i like to patch ordinary Synth sounds.

My Workhorse is now more and more Ian Fritzs Teezer.
My second build has a 10 turnpot for coarse tune.
with this setting i have it all: the conftable tuning and the huge Frequenzy range.
With ThruZero it has also superiour FM capabylitis compared to common VCOs and the Tracking capabilitys is in my opinion on the most upper class.
you get a workhorse for modulating others,
a workhorse for any kind of nonsensepatching,
and a workhorse for very serious and precisly set patches ,
and the Thruzero itself is a big playground.............maybe complicated to understand it in full depth, but really not complicated to patch thruzero FM.
In contrary: with thru zero every bullshit of a setting can sound nice.........
Teezer plus a 5pulser if you need pulsewaves
frijitz
Thanks, Funky, glad you are enjoying it!

I put up some demos on e-m last week exploring a patch with the Teezer soft-synced to the modulating VCO. The results show that even with fairly soft sync the VCOs stay in sync over a wide range of modulation indices, suggesting a range of sounds similar to Yamaha/Chowning digital synthesis. This is a pretty big result, and I don't remember anyone else looking at it in any detail before.
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-29149-250.html

Yes, the lack of a pulse is a bit of a drawback for general purpose work, but there are so many interesting saw-driven waveshapers, that external is really the way to go for pulses.

grin

Ian
astroschnautzer
Funky40 wrote:
I would not give too much weight to the basic sound of the VCOs.
the good VCOs are all sounding nice and are much closer regarding the sound of raw Waveformns than you might think when reading posts on messageboards.

I choose my VCOs by what i like to patch in first place and not by the question which one sounds better.
Soemtimes i just like to have a Huge Frequenzy range going from LFO speed to supersonic.
On the other side are those VCOs that deliver this not as conftable to patch when i like to patch ordinary Synth sounds.

My Workhorse is now more and more Ian Fritzs Teezer.
My second build has a 10 turnpot for coarse tune.
with this setting i have it all: the conftable tuning and the huge Frequenzy range.
With ThruZero it has also superiour FM capabylitis compared to common VCOs and the Tracking capabilitys is in my opinion on the most upper class.
you get a workhorse for modulating others,
a workhorse for any kind of nonsensepatching,
and a workhorse for very serious and precisly set patches ,
and the Thruzero itself is a big playground.............maybe complicated to understand it in full depth, but really not complicated to patch thruzero FM.
In contrary: with thru zero every bullshit of a setting can sound nice.........
Teezer plus a 5pulser if you need pulsewaves
I`m not that concerned about tracking, the teezer for sure looks very interesting and I will definetly add one or mayby even two for my diy setup but for me also fat vintage sound is pretty often a want, thats why I sold my AFG and kept 2 m15s.
Funky40
frijitz wrote:
but there are so many interesting saw-driven waveshapers, that external is really the way to go for pulses.

grin

Ian

your decission was good !
since having the 5Pulser me too thinks external is the way for pulsewaves,
or then double PWM circuits as the AFG from Livewire has,
but this too could be donne in a external module in my opinion.

got btw. my soundcard running again
Sound
I'm soldering now the components of my Dual Teezer hyper

I would like recommend the 566 based Sheboygan oscillator by Magic Smoke, a very complete oscillator with the sync, the square sub dividers etc... and the unfriendly noise modulation. Uauuu. Very good oscillator with an amazing noise source.

Also seems very interesting the Xear 2206 based oscillator. One of the oscillators of the book 21st Century Synthesizer by Thomas henry. With an extra issues like the subdividers. The skew function described on the VCO Chip Cookbook seems very attractive. I will build it in the meantime with the Teezer. Also by Magic Smoke Electronics.

The Sheboygan:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18270

Here mine, dual, eurorack running +15V/-15V

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3495276564_d368a9b20f_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3303/3495402290_232768552d_b.jpg

Regards.
Luka
im about to start my triple fritz tz-vco, just ordering parts and pcbs now
cannot wait

hyper hyper hyper
frijitz
Luka wrote:
im about to start my triple fritz tz-vco, just ordering parts and pcbs now
cannot wait

eek! eek! eek! Now that will be interesting.

I only have one in my system now and am working on getting a second one panelized. This will get me into some more elaborate patches. But three??? Wow. I cannot wait either (to hear your results).

grin

Ian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group