MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

. Eurorack & Analog Four .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author . Eurorack & Analog Four .
urkvoranat
Hi, woah
I was thinking about buying the A4 to use with my eurorack system soon so anyone have some experience with the A4 and use it with Eurorack. How was it's cv/gate capabilities? Sound compare to the modular?
Flexibility of ENV and LFO modulate the modular through A4 cv / gate? ETC?

Thanks
scdreger
I am using an A4 with my euro setup. If you are a fan of Elektron sequencing (X0X step sequencing, Parameter Locks, etc.), you will likely be pleased with it. I often use it to sequence a voice of east coast type patches in my eurorack rig.

Of course, it is a pretty darn good sounding synth in it's own right too.
porterclark
+1.

LFOs, ENV, gates, trigs all quick and easy to shoot out. has a great sound itself (imo) and makes a great controller. DIN sync still is little bit of headache, though i have yet to upgrade to newest os which just came out a few days ago. kills a couple a couple birds with one stone, though.
CF3
I love the little "keyboard" on the A4. Handy to have with the modular. You can get two independent sequences going by using the FX track to trigger CV C/D. Also fun running the modular back into the A4 to use as an FX processor(two mono channels if need be). Definitely pretty awesome as a euro controller, especially for the money.... And you've still have 4 analog voices!
ether
porterclark wrote:
DIN sync still is little bit of headache

This is relevant to my interests.

Can you explain a little more about your sync headaches? Syncing the A4 from something else and driving the modular from the A4?

I'm starting to get my performance shit sorted with my machinedrum, monomachine and modular, with an eye on the A4 at some point.
withakay
ether wrote:
porterclark wrote:
DIN sync still is little bit of headache

This is relevant to my interests.

Can you explain a little more about your sync headaches? Syncing the A4 from something else and driving the modular from the A4?

I'm starting to get my performance shit sorted with my machinedrum, monomachine and modular, with an eye on the A4 at some point.

I have MD, MNM and A4.

I midi sync the MD from Silent Way / ES-5 and slave the A4 and MNM from the MD with midi sync, it works a treat. If I don't want to use the computer at all I can clock the modular using a rim shot sound from the MD on a separate output. This works with some modules better than others, I seem to remember the Tietable not locking, but the A-155 worked fine and I could use that to derive a clock that everything else in my system liked. I think anyway, memory is a bit hazy. Someone (tIB iirc) created samples of gate and trigger signals to load into the MD to make this technique more reliable (perhaps some one else has a better memory?).

Anyway, given what you have said I don't think DIN Sync is something you need to worry about - unless you have other gear you have not mentioned that you want to sync...
ether
Thanks for that.

Your setup is similar to mine: ES-4 (S/PDIF) in my case, MD, MNM, plus a Doepfer Dark Time and Regelwerk.

I've had similar experiences with some modules liking MD output better than others. So far I've been using the GND IMP as the clock signal, but will try other sounds / samples in due course.

Ignoring the computer side of things for now, here's what I think I should be doing.

MD as master.
MD's GND IMP or similar to Dark Time or various modules for clock.
MD MIDI clock out to MNM
MNM MIDI clock out (or thru?) to Regelwerk for sync.

This last bit I haven't actually tried yet. I'm not sure if the MIDI clock coming in from the MD to the MNM is passed to the MNM's MIDI thru, or if the MNM then generates it's own MIDI clock at it's out that I should use?

Then adding an A4 in later somehow??? Do I need some kind of MIDI box to start sending MIDI clock around?

Erk. MIDI.

How exactly do you have your A4 and MNM connected to have both sync'd from the MD?
withakay
Also whilst I am here, my 2 cent on the A4 as a modular sequencer.

First I really Like it, I actually think it is better than the Mono Machine, mainly because of the little keyboard and the fact that each track can have a different length, I wish they would back port that to the MNM. You get things like pattern linking and song mode which you don't find on many euro sequencers (modcan touch & Kilpatrick perhaps?) An of course it is a nice little synth and processor too. BUT, it is not a modular sequencer, you can't send it funky clock signals from a timetable/rcd/Pamela's workout, you can't stop and start it with trigger signals, you can't modulate any parameters of the A4 sequencer from the modular which really is where modular sequencers get fun! So basically, it is really good but in a totally different and complimentary way, to modular sequencers I have used (Rene & A-155)
withakay
ether wrote:

How exactly do you have your A4 and MNM connected to have both sync'd from the MD?

I have ES-5 -> MD MIDI IN
MD MIDI THRU -> A4 MIDI IN
A4 MIDI THRU -> MNM MIDI IN

If I want the MD as the master it would be

MD MIDI OUT -> A4 MIDI IN
A4 MIDI THRU -> MNM MIDI IN
ether
Thanks again. That's my next weekend's wiggling sorted then wink

I hear your comments re: the A4 as the "heart" of the system. Two different but complementary worlds.

And I imagine that OS updates to the A4 will add some goodies that we already have in the MD/MNM OSes, but we'll have to wait and see.

For now I'm sitting on the sidelines not pulling the trigger on the A4 (or anything else) until the next wave of Euro sequencer goodies appear, e.g. the Trigger Riot and friends.
anselmi
CF3 wrote:
I love the little "keyboard" on the A4. Handy to have with the modular. You can get two independent sequences going by using the FX track to trigger CV C/D. Also fun running the modular back into the A4 to use as an FX processor(two mono channels if need be). Definitely pretty awesome as a euro controller, especially for the money.... And you've still have 4 analog voices!

+1 on all what he said

the 4 CV channels not only send notes and DC but also there is 2 (fast) LFOs and 2 snappy EGs onboard that can be routed to the CV ports...and they´re highly programmable in the sequence so you get the equivalent of a couple modules too

and about the sound this are my A4 demos to give you an idea of it

for me it´s amazing and can cover a very vasta range of sounds
also the fx are great, with a versatile delay and chorus plus a lush, massive reverb

[s]http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-dub[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-06[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-07[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-05[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-03[/s]
jgb
[s]http://soundcloud.com/jgb/tryckkokaren-kokar-risgrynsgrot[/s]

Some modular acid, Modular controlled from A4, TR-606 din-synced from A4. All that you hears is is modular, except for some additional drums from the 606.

A bonus when doing acid this way is that the accents can be triggered independently of the sequence they are applied to. I triggered accents from the RCD, one track from the /3 output and another from the /5. Lovely. smile

/Janne
Enda Grennan
Lovely acid sounds Janne. What oscillator and filters are you using?
suboptimal
withakay wrote:
BUT, it is not a modular sequencer, you can't send it funky clock signals from a timetable/rcd/Pamela's workout, you can't stop and start it with trigger signals, you can't modulate any parameters of the A4 sequencer from the modular which really is where modular sequencers get fun!

I wonder if cv-to-midi would be a way to add some modular signal to the A4's sequencer. I've got the Alesis cheap drum trigger box for sending triggers from the modular to the Machinedrum. Not sure what it would require to convert the trigger notes into sequencer commands - maybe takes some translation via a software solution? I'm clueless about these things despite using synths for so long.
grimley
I'm really enjoying sequencing my small modular with the A4. At the same time I'm frustrated by the fact I only have 4 CV outs. I don't have any Eurorack envelopes, LFOs or sequencers ... all modulation comes from the A4. So I'm thinking I can somehow add a Eurorack clock source and sync it via the A4 din sync output. Then I can add eurorack envelopes, sequencers etc all triggered from the same source. I was specifically looking at the Pamela's workout. Anyone else syncing their modular via the A4 din sync??
Thanks,
grimley
StoneLaw
I've been thinking about an A4... is the overall tone real strong? I have been unimpressed with the sound of the demos on youtube but real impressed with the functionality...I couldn't get a real feel for the tone tho I just might not like the tastes of the testers or youtube conversion.

How does it sound compared to new Moog stuff? I am interested cause this plus an mpc plus a modular is a pretty enticing concept smile)
pipwilliams
Really like the A4 sounds. Right now I'm only able to use cv from 2 of the 4 outs (1 from cv a/b and 1 from. C/d). I grabbed a stereo to dual mono splitter -1/4" to x2 1/8"- but shit's going crazy. I suspect it's not the right tool for the job. Any of you guys got a link so I can grab something that'll work? these seem pretty hard to come by...
jonah
grimley wrote:
I'm really enjoying sequencing my small modular with the A4. At the same time I'm frustrated by the fact I only have 4 CV outs. I don't have any Eurorack envelopes, LFOs or sequencers ... all modulation comes from the A4. So I'm thinking I can somehow add a Eurorack clock source and sync it via the A4 din sync output. Then I can add eurorack envelopes, sequencers etc all triggered from the same source. I was specifically looking at the Pamela's workout. Anyone else syncing their modular via the A4 din sync??
Thanks,
grimley
I'm pretty sure I posted a link to the DIN to minijack cables I bought off eBay in the a4 thread in general gear. Otherwise, they should still be on ebay somewhere, seller was UK based, I'm in the states and got them pretty fast. I don't know why they exist, but it's nice they do. I'm using the doepfer a160/161 combo. I'm sure there's other stuff that'll work. Hopefully enough people use it so that Elektron is motivated to add custom clock divisions.

I don't really mind the a4 not having CV in because there's enough to do without feedback and it helps keep me focused. I also have plenty of stuff that lets me do CV to MIDI to get it back into the a4 if I want to. I do hope both the a4 and OT get envelope followers and threshold triggers though.
jtai
This Y-cable works well with the A4 and modular
http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/HOSA-YPP-117-Y-Cable-p/ypp-117.htm
jgb
Enda Grennan wrote:
Lovely acid sounds Janne. What oscillator and filters are you using?

Thanks! smile

I think I used the following:
Livewire AFG to Doepfer A-121
Malekko Antiosc to Livewire Frequensteiner

A key to getting the accent right was to add a slight attack to the accent envelope.
pipwilliams
here's a track using the Analog Four.
Bass & pad come from A4, also using din sync to clock TR808 (recorded into and processed in Logic). Other samples come from Octatrack. Roland space echo gives some delay.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/pipwilliams/mode-7[/s]
barto
can you use the A4 keyboard keys as a controller for a euro oscillator?
laslen
barto wrote:
can you use the A4 keyboard keys as a controller for a euro oscillator?

Yes. It has 1/4 inch CV/Gate outputs.
Hanz
4x configurable CV out, even. Each can be set to track Hz/V and V/Oct, function as S-Trig or normal trigger, be a 0-10v voltage source etc. Very easy to set up for use to control a modular via the small keyboard (great arpeggiator as well) and/or via the step sequencer (p-locks on the CV outs make it very powerful).

The icing on the cake is the external inputs which can be used to route (modular synth) audio; really good audio fx on it (rolandy chorus, smudgy delay, cavernous reverb) and the audio can also be routed through internal filters / overdrive, etc. Also, it drives DIN sync drum machines well (since the last upgrade) on sync24 (Roland) and sync48 (Korg, ...Linn?). For me, it's the ideal integration point in the modular setup.

Still a few rough edges / missing features but a great package for what it is already. It does require more study to use than I expected; it's definitely not as 'friendly' as a Korg groovebox. Now if only it would sequence MIDI as well...

This video gives a good impression;
suboptimal
Just took delivery on an A4 and am looking forward to digging into it. Going to explore keeping my modular's main output semi-permanently patched into it and running everything I do through it. Judging from the demos I've heard the effects are quite nice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5