MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
knittingram
So I traded in some stuff at noisebug the other day and got a SEM Patch Panel and I gotta say I am LOVING IT!!!!

I don't have my pitts midi2 hooked up yet because I just sold my case and I'm now eagerly awaiting my miniFLIGHTjr from Sound modular but even without the midi>cv this thing really kicks ass! thumbs up

I played with it all night the first night and all day the next day.
I even ended up calling up Tom Oberheim and we talked for a good
half-hour about the idiosyncrasies of the unit.

And I gotta say, what a cool guy! He was happy to answer my questions and talk shop and he was super interested in how I was integrating it into my studio and so forth. He even invited me to call him back anytime to chat.

I am truly in love with this synth and already have plans to get another SEM voice. My master plan is to build up my make noise 6U system and keep adding SEM voices and eventually get the 4 voice vermona MIDI>CV.

I will say I was a little dissapointed to see that there isn't much enthusiasm for the patch panel SEM on the forum or any topics devoted to it specifically.

So tell me who's using it and what gear are you using it with?

-Blake
Rigo
If I remember correctly there is somebody hanging around here that has made his own 4 voice, combining 4 individual SEMs ... cannot find the thread.
I would like a SEM, but there is also that 2-voice coming ... should not look at those videos from the original version to avoid GAS kicking in too hard.
MechaSeb
Rigo, i have one for sale (midi vers) for a pretty long time now. PM if you're interested. Belgium -> France isn't far too. twisted twisted
Rigo
MechaSeb wrote:
Rigo, i have one for sale (midi vers) for a pretty long time now. PM if you're interested. Belgium -> France isn't far too. twisted twisted

I noticed it several times, don't worry. But it is midi only waah
transferpoint
The SEM can REALLY shine through at times, other times not so much, as with a lot of analog gear its all about finding the sweet spots. Once you add CV modulation the chances of sweetness improve exponentially.

That said, it wasn't a pivotal piece in our collection and we wound up selling it but plan to get a two voice someday.
EMwhite
I have been on the fence about getting the new TVS for what now feels like years. Twice I had the money together and twice gave up due to delay after delay.

Had a Midi SEM and sold it along the way but now have two patch panel SEMs; one that I drone or play w sequencers and another tied to my Minimoog Old School.

Like you, I will acquire another pair and play with the not yet released hexinverter poly midi kit but the absolute key is a four voice Env generator.

Applying an external LFO through a buffered mult for modulation of PW or Vibrato is trivial but filter envelopes are not. So either one of these (COTK 911p in MU format) or an Expert Sleepers setup is a must.

But yeah, my fav YouTube video of all time is Dave Spiers (GForce Software) "Oberheim 8 Voice" video. Brilliant!
ikkini
I just LOVE my SEM patch panel ! Great with my other analog synths (using the Waldorf Pulse+ as a MIDI to CV converter) and perfect with my modular (no MIDI there of course).
MechaSeb
Rigo wrote:
MechaSeb wrote:

I noticed it several times, don't worry. But it is midi only waah

You can transform it in either Patch or Pro panel with a bit help of Tom. I've asked him months ago as i wanted originally a Pro panel and he was really helpful. Mod don't need any soldering.

... well anyway sorry for the "car sales" argument hihi

And yes, it's a great synth !
knittingram
Yea that 8 voice youtube video is really insane!

That polyphony just sounds beyond amazing. applause

It had a lot to do with me getting one as most of the other demos
of SEMs on youtube actually suck.

I am convinced subtlety is the key to good patches on the SEM.

For instance, it sounds better with the resonance at about 3 O'clock then at
all the way.
knittingram
transferpoint wrote:
The SEM can REALLY shine through at times, other times not so much, as with a lot of analog gear its all about finding the sweet spots. Once you add CV modulation the chances of sweetness improve exponentially.

That said, it wasn't a pivotal piece in our collection and we wound up selling it but plan to get a two voice someday.

i completely agree. It would be awesome if he could release a modulation box with like s/h, noise, vclfo, adsr, ringmod, etc.

but yea its a great voice to drop into a modular environment.

It definitely excels at bass sounds. woah
jmcecil
knittingram wrote:

For instance, it sounds better with the resonance at about 3 O'clock then at
all the way.

uhmm, I would argue that that is true on every filter 98% of the time. %2 high rezo is good. Using it all the time = please stop.
sunsinger
I've got the Midi and patchpoint Pro version. It's verrry cool, and I'm looking to expand it. I'd love a 4 voice, I actually had a 4 voice in the late 70's. It was awesome for my first polyphonic.

I'm waiting for Tom to release the two voice, it looks pretty cool.
But...before I buy any more OB stuff, I really want a DSI Prophet 12.

I'm using my OB SEM for another voice for my modular. It sounds very different from my DotCom/MOTM synth.
The SEM patch points make it really useable for the modular I have.
MindMachine
FYI Rewire is (or at least was) the dude with the new SEM's rigged as a four voice. I used a have a TVS and it was a bad ass little rig. We did not have it patched out, but the 2 SEM w/ MS combo was a killer. The new SEM's sound near exact/same. The Oberheim SEM is an unmatched classic in it's own way. If I was starting a Euro rig again, I would start w/ an SEM all patched out.
Dave Peck
Really love the SEM filter sound. Has anyone ever compared the sound of a SEM filter to the Oakley / Krisp1 SVF, which is supposed to be based on the SEM filter? If so, how similar are they?
skkatter
I already posted in the double post of this, but thought I'd post here. Have currently got two patch panel SEMs and am using them as a home made two voice and really like it.

The SEM is really bright and sharp compared to most of my other analogues, it really cuts through the mix, great for leads. I find I don't use it too much for really low bass, as its oscillators don't really go down to the same depths as other things I own (eg, SH101 or Pro One). Bandpass filter is great.

I posted this demo of the first one I bought to AH a few years ago and somebody else bought one after listening to it (I'm not implying my demo was that amazing or anything, just that the synth is): http://www.splitradix.com/sem_demo.mp3
jcn7
I love my 2 SEMs It's peanut butter jelly time!

This is my homebrewed 2 voice system...I know it's not quite the same, but I think it's just as good in particular when I'm using the Pheadra sequencing Ipad app with these 2 bad boys!
dogoftears
i have an original SEM with patch points. it is awesome. i would never give it up for the new version, if any thing just cus of the horribly unstable frequency knobs with built in fine adjustment.

cuts thru any mix like butter with the simplest unison voices dialed in... i never use it for any thing fancy, mostly just lush unison pads or harmonically detuned dualing osc/filter sweepy stuff.
Kazremark
JCN7, thats a great rack you have for your two SEMs. Did you build that yourself?
jcn7
Thanks! Actually, the side panels were originally made by a fellow wiggler for a 3 rack Bug Brand system I purchased from him. I later sold the BB system, but kept the sides. I was trying to figure out how I wanted to work with the 2 SEMs and remembered that I still had these side panels and it so happened that all I had to do to make it work was to drill out 2 more holes. It makes for a nice small but very effective 2 voice. I usually use my Ipad2 also with these...mainly to sequence them, but also as a "keyboard" controller for them as well.
sunsinger
Great build there.. but how do you access the patch points of the bottom SEM?
jcn7
The bottom SEM is the Midi version, so only the top (Pro) version has actual patch points. I can still access the rear of both units, so for those ins/outs it's relatively easy to access...

I've thought about upgrading the Midi version to the Pro version with the upgrade option that Tom makes available for these units, but I just don't want to spend any more at the moment.
Beermaster
I still have an original FVS with quite a bit mods and I think the SEM is one of the most unique, 'Vintage' sounding synths out there. What I'm a little surprised at reading others comments is that nobody has mentioned how fucking HUGE they sound ! ? I think SEMs have the biggest sound of any analogue ever ! So fat and the sound just screams " I Am VOLTAGE !"

Luv em'

Beer
southphillysynths
Love the sound of sems and wish I could afford one hihi but how does the doepfer filter sound? Is it close enough and will make me just want a sem after a while?
knittingram
really digging those 2 SEMs!

I'm imagining 2 more, all patch
panels in that same configuration. woah

It would be fun to join the 4 voice club..
Rigo
southphillysynths wrote:
Love the sound of sems and wish I could afford one hihi but how does the doepfer filter sound? Is it close enough and will make me just want a sem after a while?

I presume you are talking about the A-106-5 ... which is commonly regarded as a very nice sounding filter (and only 75€).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4