MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
southphillysynths
Yep that's the one!
ersatzplanet
I used to own a 2-voice w/seq and a 4-voice. Loved them both. The 4-voice was great. I didn't have a programmer so turned that panel into a patchbay and brought out every molex on the SEMs there. I had a 4 channel sequencer I made from the core of the MINI Seq from the two voice (no quantizing). It was vey cool. HUGE though. Like moving around a coffin. I bought screw on table legs for both the lid and the body and never needed tables or stands at a gig.

I am amazed, looking at the amount of empty space on the new SEM PCB, why hasn't Tom come out with the SEM in other formats? You could fit it into 5U easily of course, but it could be made into a Eurorack module too. It would not be a small one but it could fit. I would buy a SEM based voice module in a heartbeat.
CZ Rider
I'm old enough to rember when the SEM was first introduced, as an add on to your Minimoog/ARP back in '74. Funny how the word spread back then without the internet, but having a five oscillator minimoog was all the talk. There wasn't even a dedicated Keyboard mag yet, and I think they would advertise in the back of Guitar Player mag. I was actually surprised a year latter when Oberheim offered a stand alone polyphonic synthesizer. Seemed like a strange way to do it, like it was an afterthought way of using the SEM. Always thought the two voice was a bad ass synthesizer though. The only thing the two voice was missing was a proper pitch and mod wheel. I think Moog still held a patent on the pitch roller in '75, or the pitch wheel was just thought to be a Moog thing?
Would be interested in hearing the new version. As I understand, the the filter will now self oscillate? The original does not and keyboard filter tracking was not implemented on the two or four voice. (Most of those Denis Colin filter designs did not self oscillate. But boasted Q ammounts of 512 like the ARP 1047 and Aries 327 multi mode filters.) The two voice did have some special features like noise source from the mini seq was ext #2 in on both SEM's. And the ext input #1 on the second SEM was the output of the first, so you could cascade them for a four osc SEM. Plus you had sample/hold to both filters via ext filter mod input. Really nice well thought out design.
The bass on these SEM's is just amazing. I found running other brand modular oscillators through the SEM somehow makes them seem thicker with a more pronounced bass. Like a magic white box. I still have my two voice with a few patch points, along with a stand alone SEM.

The Moog in the background is still king of vintage tone and bass! The SEM is a very close second though. thumbs up
Christopher Winkels
That photo is, as the French might say if poorly translated, le mauvais derrière.
knittingram
Google Image Findings. thumbs up

REwire
MindMachine wrote:
FYI Rewire is (or at least was) the dude with the new SEM's rigged as a four voice

Yes, I started out with 4 new SEMS in poly mode but then expanded them so much with modular that they got phased out. Big reason was that there's not enough CV controllable on them and it's no fun reaching to all four to dial in a resonance or filter mode setting. Also, the oscs were no better than modular oscs and the filters, while unique, were not worth the hassle.

On the SEM love issue, I had two original SEMS and eventually sold them because they didn't cut through my mixes. I thought of keeping one of the new SEMS as a standalone but the same thing happened. I really do love the Bubblesound SEM filter, if it had CV resonance I'd have 4 of them.

Dan
knittingram
The filter does self oscillate but only in the very high frequencies. As soon as you sweep it down, the resonance dies away.

A lot of filters are like that though. hmmm.....
deastman
I have one of the earliest (new) patch point SEMS... serial#25 I think. I don't know if its just mine, but the main output is seriously hot, as in almost too hot. Does anyone know if there is an internal trim pot to attenuate the level to something a little more reasonable?
knittingram
yea mine has an extremely hot output too.

I have to turn the volume all the way down plus engage the
pad on my preamp to get reasonable levels.

weird.

definitely stronger than line level.
Hanz
Same here...
NYMo
While we are here....my A440 is slightly flat on my newcsem midi.
I had a look inside but couldnt identify the A440 trim.
Does anyone know which trimmer it actually is ?

Cheers
wbelote
jcn7. Beautiful rig! I'm curious about the two modules at both ends of the Tip Top rack?

I so want a SEM of some sort. Two voice is very sexy, and Tom Oberheim said the SO4V is going to get patch points. I'd be happy with a single SEM. Soon!
Dave Peck
wbelote wrote:
jcn7. Beautiful rig! I'm curious about the two modules at both ends of the Tip Top rack?

Those are Universal Event Generators from Encore Electronics. I came up with the initial idea and the feature set for this module, Tony at Encore Electronics ran with it and did all the hardware design & manufacturing. He and I used to work together at an audio company in the SF bay area.
chaosium
transferpoint wrote:
The SEM can REALLY shine through at times, other times not so much, as with a lot of analog gear its all about finding the sweet spots. Once you add CV modulation the chances of sweetness improve exponentially.

That said, it wasn't a pivotal piece in our collection and we wound up selling it but plan to get a two voice someday.
What would you suggest as a few modules to expand it further with?
knittingram
maths, ulfo, quantimator.

or

rene, brains, pressure points

or

3 of a million other modules out there thumbs up
dubnspace
I ordered a Pitts Cell 2 system to use with my SEM. Seems like a pretty good match for it.
knittingram
That'll definitely do the trick!
fireclown
chaosium wrote:
transferpoint wrote:
The SEM can REALLY shine through at times, other times not so much, as with a lot of analog gear its all about finding the sweet spots. Once you add CV modulation the chances of sweetness improve exponentially.

That said, it wasn't a pivotal piece in our collection and we wound up selling it but plan to get a two voice someday.
What would you suggest as a few modules to expand it further with?

A CV mixer for the filter, ADSR's with some voltage control (to implement velocity or just some modulated variation) and attenuators for VCF and VCA. vclfo's, keyboard CV and whatever else you want to plug into that CV mixer is just about all you need.
Not that its going to make the greatest synth module EVER that much better than it already is.
the first, main thing you want is a CV mixer for the filter.
I cant believe anyone hopes to come close to the perfect combination Tom Oberheim assembled by adding some SEM type filter module to their rig when entire SEM's are being given away at their retail price today.
2 VCO's with complete range control, the best vintage type SVF and an absolute classic synth sound in an elegant package for a few hundred dollars more than a filter module alone?
this is nearly the golden age of analog, and Oberheim has done us all the ultimate favor. If you dont have an SEM in your rig, I feel sorry for you.
knittingram
NYMo wrote:
While we are here....my A440 is slightly flat on my newcsem midi.
I had a look inside but couldnt identify the A440 trim.
Does anyone know which trimmer it actually is ?

You should just call Tom. He'll know best.
His phone number is on a bright yellow piece of paper that came in the box.

Probably, on his website too.
Besides, it's really cool to be able to talk to the guy that
designed your amazing instrument.
That is so rare outside of the synth/boutique gtr market. Rockin' Banana!
chaosium
knittingram wrote:
maths, ulfo, quantimator.

or

rene, brains, pressure points

or

3 of a million other modules out there thumbs up
I know I can use pretty much anything, but good pairings for the routing options of my SEM were what I was looking for. I'll investigate those grin
knittingram
A cv mixer is crucial though as previously mentioned. It's hard to be subtle when you can't attenuate a cv source.

A sport modulator by itself or with a quantimator would kick some major ass too.
hogberto
Here's a demo of the new patchpanel SEM.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/phil-stuart-202/sem-obsequosity[/s]

Rockin' Banana!
Xmit
I have a TO SEM Pro ... Tho tbh I never really use the MIDI ....
Incredible thickness of sound, but can be wonderfully fizzy too.
It really does shine paired with Moog type synths - as was the original intention I guess. I use mine with a Macbeth Micromac with a Moog CP251 in between & it's just a riot of pure analogue warmth & butter.
Unique.
pixelmechanic
The SEM love is clearly in Vince Clarke's house... (as found in another thread)

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/03/24/icons-inside-vince-clarkes-synth- kingdom-in-brooklyn/

Check some of the pics at the bottom of the post...
knittingram

Check out the new addition to my SEM!!
Goin oldschool. Can't wait to get this thing hooked up.

Vince Clarke has like 12 sems or something! That's insane..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4