MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Okay so where is all the oberheim SEM love at?
mwn
I blame this thread for reigniting my desire for an SEM. I got a new patch panel one and it's a great compliment to my euro system. Makes me glad all over again to be back in the analog synth game after 20 years away.
chaosium
knittingram wrote:

Check out the new addition to my SEM!!
Goin oldschool. Can't wait to get this thing hooked up.

Vince Clarke has like 12 sems or something! That's insane..
How well does it work?
knittingram
I haven't actually set it up yet because I need to DIY a Hex pickup to my guitar
and then wire up din connectors between the two. Still pretty excited about it
though. And I am guessing it tracks pretty well considering it analyzes each individual string. Anybody else out there have experience with the 360 slavedriver? (or as I like to call it, "the cracker honky")
CZ Rider
knittingram wrote:
Anybody else out there have experience with the 360 slavedriver? (or as I like to call it, "the cracker honky")

Have one here, but I am not a guitar player.

This is from the 70's. Did not come with any schematics, and the main pitch to CV processor is epoxy encapsulated. Has a mind of it's own, and will lock on to the harmonics above the note very easily. Does a sort of arpeggio when it does that. Don't think there are seperate trackers for each string, just an amplifier/mixer to trim and balance the six inputs for each string. They all feed into one pitch to CV tracker. No different from the tracking accuracy of an Arp Avatar or MS-20 pitch to CV. You need to adjust your playing style to make it work.
The one I have here, I just disconnected the six leads, and made one connection to a 1/4" socket on the back where the cable entered. Fun for playing around with a microphone. Never tried a hotter signal like an oscillator though.
It does have an envelope follower too, so you can get an amplitude to CV going . Had a few live features like a pedal switch input to transpose the CV by a preset ammount via the footswitch interval knob. Along with an octave transpose range rotary switch.
Those 70's guitar pitch to CV never really lived up to the promise of being very playable. Like I said, I'm not a guitarist, but have the Slavedriver, Avatar, and a Casio PG-380. The Casio works the best with the onboard synthesizer, the MIDI out is a little slower. They did make polyphonic 360 Slavedrivers that had 6 SEM's. But the blue box is monophonic with only one pitch to CV anayizer. Haven't tried, but found a few of those G-vox guitar to MIDI PC devices with a hex pickup for under 20 bucks. That might wire in OK for a replacement pick-up.
knittingram
I don't see an epoxy encapsulated circuit in mine. I just opened it up and got
a good look at how I could just wire a 1/4" jack in but there seemed to be a lot
of open space on the inside. I hope I'm not missing the main cv processor. all i
see is 2 sandwiched pcbs attached to the front panels and about 4 inches of
open space besides the power switch and hex cable. There is 2 threaded
holes on the top pcb that seems like something should be there. Does that sound right?
jtmmorrow
A SEM is probably in my future because seriously considering one got me into modular synthesis. Learning about the patch panel showed me what was possible. Now that I've had a little experience, I'd love to bring an SEM voice into my system.
CZ Rider
knittingram wrote:
I don't see an epoxy encapsulated circuit in mine.

Could be that is a newer unit, and just like ARP, later ones were not encapsulated. So at least the non-encapsulated ones can be worked on. Those standoffs seem to be stops on this one, where the epoxy block rests. There are two of those moulded blocks.
A pic of the inside, (yep, lots of space in there) where you can see the 1/4" socket I put in there. I would not recommend pluging in anything other than a pickup or microphone though without padding the input.
Bob Borries

I love my brand new SEM Pro it sounds just like the original,
except there's only one thing missing, this groovy logo!

knittingram
CZ Rider wrote:

Could be that is a newer unit

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Looks like mine has all the parts
but the top layer is just a plain old pcb.
What color wires did you hook the 1/4" jack to?
Seems like something I could do in 5 mins..

Thanks for the info btw CZ Rider.
CZ Rider
knittingram wrote:

What color wires did you hook the 1/4" jack to?
Seems like something I could do in 5 mins..

I didn't take notice to the original color code, but I used a brown wire for the ground (sleeve), and an orange one for the hot (tip). Looking from the bottom at the 9 pin Molex connector the ground was on the top left. Use an ohm meter if you are not sure. There were 6 hot inputs, one for each string, just pick one. I don't think it matters what one you choose. It was a quick hack and seemed to work well enough with a microphone or any transducer/pickup instrument.
Pic of the simple 1/4" hack here:

For a better job, I found a hex pickup that could be wired in properly for about 7 bucks. Should work as intended if you take the time to test and wire in something like that. Still have the original 360 pickup, but two of the six sections did not work. So the single 1/4" was a quick hack to see if it worked. The idea behind 6 individual inputs was to get an even triggering/tracking level for all the strings. Those six trimmers were to set up and adjust each output for each string. But it still was only a monophonic pitch to CV. Advanced for 1977?
beyourdog
With all my respect, I understand Tom Oberheim is a charming and dedicated man, but I regret he’s not proposing a simple 2-4-8 voices as basic as it was in the old days...
It is a bit of an ingenieer thing sometimes to try to make things better and up to date, but in these days of cheap external sequencers, I do not really see the point to have a full on sequencer on the 2 voices... I’d rather have no sequencer and 2-4 voices with no programming at all and just a simple command on the left hand that would control the 4/8 VCO at the same time, another one to command the Filters frequencies, the filters resonance and that’s it. Thank you, simple, cheaper...
I would prefer to have this lush sounds and use external modulations...Though it can be arguable it would make the 2 voices a great performance orientated synth in its full form,..
I really liked the SEM, I miss it sometimes, especially the Band Pass filter with this wonderful lush, would be sounding great with several voices...the only problem with having a patch panel SEM is that you want another one and another one...it is a wonderful synth that would complement any rig anytime...I agree there is no real huge rave on these, this is the quiet man synth maybe .
knittingram
CZ Rider wrote:

Looking from the bottom at the 9 pin Molex connector the ground was on the top left. Use an ohm meter if you are not sure. There were 6 hot inputs, one for each string, just pick one.

This is is my 360 cracker-honky on the inside. It looks dirtier and older to me than yours does. Who knows.. Different trimmer pots, too.

Close up of the molex before surgery.

Shot of the open space from the bottom view.

A very good view of what color wire goes in what terminal.

2 Good shots Identifying which terminals go to what volume trimmer.

CZ Rider, indeed you are right. The black wire on the top left is the ground, which I will hook up to the sleeve of the 1/4" jack. I will have my pick of any other color to hook the tip to.

Just to be thorough, Let me idenitify which colors correllate with which trimmer pot:

Blue goes to the 1st pot, closest to the molex.
Green goes to the next/2nd.
yellow to the 3rd.
orange to the 4th.
red to the 5th.
brown to the last/6th. (Top of the case.)

It would be fun to wire each color to six different 1/4"
jacks on the back for multiple tracking sources so they could have dedicated inputs without wearing out the jack. Our I could implement a hex pickup with a breakout box, like the link below, a lot easier.

Ubertar

For now, I think I will make it simple and just wire one jack into the existing hole and try my luck. At least for now, I know which channel to turn up and which ones to turn off. thumbs up

Thanks for the info and reassurance CZ RIDER! applause
CZ Rider
knittingram wrote:
Thanks for the info and reassurance CZ RIDER! applause

Glad to help. Hope it works for you.
Here is a crappy but readable scan of the 360SD manual. Shows some interesting changes suggested for the SEM.
Zipped file of 360 systems Slavedriver operation manual

knittingram
Awesome! Thanks a million!
knittingram
So, I figured out from that manual that I needed to adjust the trimmer under the led and now I got the full on SEM/360 cracker-honker madness happening. I was worried at first before I read it because I was getting some wacky, inaccurate results. I read through it again and lo and behold PITCH to CV and some much more! The B and high E strings don't track as well but I still have some experimenting to do. I'm very surprised this 30
year old box still works.

CV RIDER thanks for saving me time and money!
I didn't have to buy the hex pickup and I didn't
need to have a tech adjust it.

A little over $200 and I got pitch>cv, envelope follower, comparator
and instrument/guitar preamp with octave selector and transpose, all
designed to work perfectly with my SEM.

I couldn't be happier about it.
ws9848
337is
Quite an asSEMblage in Oberheim cream. Oh my! Wow!
Mr. Pete
Doesn't it just prove the point we are all too busy PLAYING our Patchpoint SEMs to post about them!?! hyper

I have a draft of a letter I started writing to Tom Oberheim and had planned to call him and say thanks and register, too ~ however as soon as I patched in the SEM and started using it I have not found a moment to follow through
So far, I plug it into/out of Eurorack, Moog Voyagers, Phattys, Tauri,Minibrute, Oberkorn, DarkTime, Revolution, Foogers — have not done a whole lot of audio in other than a few different instruments (MS-10?) but may get to that this afternoon... Love processing audio through envelope generators and synths applause

knittingram wrote:
So I traded in some stuff at noisebug the other day and got a SEM Patch Panel and I gotta say I am LOVING IT!!!!
I will say I was a little dissapointed to see that there isn't much enthusiasm for the patch panel SEM on the forum or any topics devoted to it specifically.
So tell me who's using it and what gear are you using it with?-Blake
The Real MC
360 Systems polyphonic guitar synthesizer - those are Oberheim SEMs with different paint scheme. The front panels do not appear to have HP/BP/Notch modes.

chaosium
Does anyone have any info on the Slavedriver pickup/interface? I'm interested in picking one up using my guitar/bass, but I have no clue what I'd need to buy and fit on the instrument for this to be optimal and the eBay auctions never seem to include the guitar/bass end of the device.
D_Bowman
I need to start getting some desktop analogue synths again since my space has been reduced to.. well.. my desktop! I always come back to these SEMS. I'd love to get one someday. I guess what holds me back is the relatively minimal modulation functions with just the unit itself. Do the SEM users here feel like the quality of sound and build justifies the price for the SEM Pro?
Ebotronix
a sem guitar synth? nice ....
use the new sem...
southphillysynths

we're not worthy
EMwhite
D_Bowman wrote:
I need to start getting some desktop analogue synths again since my space has been reduced to.. well.. my desktop! I always come back to these SEMS. I'd love to get one someday. I guess what holds me back is the relatively minimal modulation functions with just the unit itself. Do the SEM users here feel like the quality of sound and build justifies the price for the SEM Pro?

If you are a readymade midi kind of chap (you just want to plug and play) then the Pro is the way to go; you can always explore CV and patch points later on.

If you have a bunch of CV gear and maybe even modular, go pick yourself up a used patch panel version for $700-$800 that I've seen them going for. In my opinion, it's not worth the additional $300-$400 of a new 'Pro'. But I cannot take anything away from the SEM module itself, I have two of them and a dedicated sequencer so in a way, I've got a two voice 'modular'.

WITH the patch points, you'll be able to feed in any sort of modulation you wish to affect most anything. Very useful.
D_Bowman
I love exploring CV and patch points. Midi I care for in the barest sense. However, I recently went through a course correction/purge. Got rid of my modules, some synths, and my Dark Energy. But I think I went too far cause if I'd held onto my Dark Energy then I could just get the Patch Panel version and patch away and be happy as well as control it from a midi controller if I wish. I'd love to have that kind of "two voice" style setup that you have!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4