MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modifications/alterations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Modifications/alterations
jack multiple
hello, i have a few general questions here about changes.

1. If i wanted to omit a pot what should i do with the solder pads on the pcb.

2. omitting a socket, does anything need to be connected up in its place or just left as it is .

3. If i wanted to insert a pot between a socket and the pcb to control the amount of signal passing.
i think that (for an output) the signal from the pcb goes to the centre lug(wiper) on the pot. the CW lug on the pot goes to the signal lug of the socket. i'm not clear on what to do with the 0v pot lug or the earth lug on the socket..

4. what resistance value should the pot be for question 3.
Synthbuilder
jack multiple wrote:
If i wanted to omit a pot what should i do with the solder pads on the pcb.

Nothing. Just ignore them.

jack multiple wrote:
omitting a socket, does anything need to be connected up in its place or just left as it is?

Probably not. But some input sockets do have a normalising feature that may require the tip and sleeve connection to be made if the following section is to work.

jack multiple wrote:
If i wanted to insert a pot between a socket and the pcb to control the amount of signal passing.
i think that (for an output) the signal from the pcb goes to the centre lug(wiper) on the pot. the CW lug on the pot goes to the signal lug of the socket. i'm not clear on what to do with the 0v pot lug or the earth lug on the socket.

Generally speaking a 50K or 47K linear pot should do the trick. Wiper to board, CW to signal lug, CCW to 0V/GND on the PCB. The earth lug should go to the same as the other sockets on the module. This is connected to pin 3 on the MOTM style power header.

Tony
jack multiple
Super, thanks very much.
jack multiple
Actually, i'd better just say which ones i was thinking of leaving out and adding in case something needs to be done.

Omitting the SYNC socket and pot on a VCO.
Omitting the VCA IN/VCA OUT on an ADSR.

Adding a pot to the FREQ CV IN socket on the TSL FILTER.

Maybe adding a pot to a multiple.

Any problems there?
ashleym
jack multiple wrote:

Any problems there?

Yes. Omitting the SYNC. Why? Sync is great and every synth should have some!!! FUUUCCKKKK!!!
jack multiple
yes you're right, it is cool, but i dont want it on both the vcos i have, want to use the extra space it gives for a modification. might not even bother to be honest, but its fun.
Synthbuilder
jack multiple wrote:

Ah, in this case, I'd short out pins 6 and 7 on the LINK header on the VCO board. That will stop any unwanted pick up of other signals into the now unused SYNC input.

jack multiple wrote:
Omitting the VCA IN/VCA OUT on an ADSR.

The VCA IN is a normalised socket. You'll need to short out pins 4 and 5 on the I/O header.

jack multiple wrote:
Adding a pot to the FREQ CV IN socket on the TSL FILTER.

Yep, this is just as I described in my post above.

Tony
jack multiple
ok good well i'm glad i asked.
thanks again.
jack multiple
i have 1 more question on this topic and then i'm done i hope.

general q first followed by application.

what determines the amount of depth of a depth control pot. is it the resistance value of the pot or sthg on the board?

application: i want to use the sine output(omitting the other waveform outputs) of an LFO as a dedicated vibrato control for a vco .

however, i want the control to go from 0 to heavy vibrato rather than 0 to 'wild lfo modulation' so i have alot of control over very subtle pitch modulation for a VCO.
Synthbuilder
jack multiple wrote:
what determines the amount of depth of a depth control pot. is it the resistance value of the pot or sthg on the board?

It's almost always the resistor that connects to the pot's wiper connection. It is this resistor that turns the voltage on the pot's wiper to a current to be used by the rest of the circuitry.

Increase that resistor and the sensitivity will go down. Doubling it will halve the sensitivity. The pot's value has no real affect on the sensitivity of the input - although sometimes a log pot may give you increased 'resolution' at the lower end of its travel.

Sometimes the pot's wiper voltage is buffered first and that first resistor won't make any difference at all. This is true for the SYNC input on the VCO. However, for either the EXPO or LIN inputs on the VCO feel free to increase the resistors to get the reduced sensitivity you need.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1