MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VC-ADSR & Journeyman build - possible part substitutions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author VC-ADSR & Journeyman build - possible part substitutions
lucid
Hi
first of all thanks to Tony for doing great think when offering Oakley as DIY. thumbs up
Also his PCB are really good quality to work with.
I am quite new to DIY, but after few build I am enjoying this hobby a lot. And I would like to learn some more tricks and hints from this great community.

I just have some questions about possible substitution of some parts.
Mainly I am talking about single turn trimmers
One reason is that I overlooked that these are single turn trimmers so I didnt buy them, because I thought that multiturn will fit in. d'oh!
I just have in my small stock only single turn with value 47k and there is requested 10k for Journey and 100k and 20k for ADSR.
Is there any chance to use mine 47k instead of some of these specified in BOM? Or better to order exactly what is specified?

Than next question is about zener diode 6.2V - here I have 5.1V or 7.5V available. How critical is this part here with stated value? Could be replaced by one of these I have available?
There are no specialized shops in my town and order just these few parts will be quite expensive with shipping, so I need to wait to fill in my list of needed parts with some more parts.

I know that I am digging into design of modules, but I think that answering these specific questions will do no harm to Tony and his design and it may help also others.

And then last one about electrolytic capacitors. From time to time I see in another specifications that audio grade capacitors are recommended. I would like to know how they can influence the sound or noise when using/ or not using such types in filter or other modules. Is ther any advantage of "audio grade"?

Thanks for patience with noob
Milan
Synthbuilder
lucid wrote:
I just have in my small stock only single turn with value 47k and there is requested 10k for Journey and 100k and 20k for ADSR.
Is there any chance to use mine 47k instead of some of these specified in BOM?

Using a 47K for the Journeyman should be possible but it will make that particular adjustment slightly tricky. Finding the sweet spot will be harder as it will happen over a very small range. It won't do any harm though.

The ADSR's OFF and GAIN trimmers can be 47K. However, the gain trimmer may be slightly more difficult to set than with a 20K, but nothing terrible.

Personally, I'd fit the 47K trimmers in all three and see how you get on.

lucid wrote:
Than next question is about zener diode 6.2V - here I have 5.1V or 7.5V available. How critical is this part here with stated value? Could be replaced by one of these I have available?

This is in the Journeyman? If so, it sets the maximum frequency of the filter. If the filter's cut-off goes too high it tends to lower the volume of the output. The zener limits the cut-off frequency to just over 25kHz. You can omit the zener for now and then just solder one in when you get a 6V2 one later.

lucid wrote:
Is ther any advantage of "audio grade"?

I try to not to include any electrolytic capacitors in the audio pathway if I can. But sometimes if they do have to be there, like on the Journeyman, I will bypass them with a polyester cap of lower value in parallel. I don't believe that audio grade caps make an appreciable difference in sound in the signal path of a synthesiser. There's so much sound mangling going on in there to make the small amount of distortion added by the cap meaningless.

In your hi-fi amp, sound card and mixer it may well be a different story.

Tony
lucid
Thanks Tony
I will try these 47k, just good to know that I need to be more patient during setting of trimmers.
Synthbuilder wrote:

This is in the Journeyman?

Yes diode is for Journeyman. If I understood correctly I can use module without diode. And when available just add it there. Is that what you said?

Milan
Synthbuilder
lucid wrote:
If I understood correctly I can use module without diode. And when available just add it there. Is that what you said?

Yes. It's not a critical part - it's just there to stop the volume dip at high cut off frequencies.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1