MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

500-series modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 500-series modules
Yoa01
Hi all,

So I had an idea for a neat effects setup which uses 500-series modules. Then, I looked up said modules, and HOLY FJARKL THEY'RE EXPENSIVE!! So, I had a couple questions:
-Why are 500-series modules so much?
-Are they practical? They seem about as practical as any other module.
-Is there anything really special about said modules? I know that all the connections are on the back, but is there anything else I should know about them?
Thanks!
twincities
high end recording stuff is usually just pretty expensive in general. honestly compared to standalone 19" pres and comps the 500 stuff can be considered quite cheap! that said, i'll probably be taking the dive soon. i've wanted a mono gama for a while now and a few other pieces keep popping up that i really want to try.
SubliminalSandwich
500 series seems to be the latest craze.. every top end manufacturer putting out mini versions of their classics.. the price? cos they can get away with it! compared to their full scale versions, 500 modules are _just_ about accessible to normal human beings.

Ive considered this route also.. its very portable for sure, and you can pick and choose your setup.. most modules are highly specified (class A circuitry, etc).

I particularly like the look of elysia compressor/transient shaper stuff.. oh, and some pre-amps, and some parametric.... wait a moment, ive just spent £4000!

hihi
grillo
In the same boat here. Still figuring out a way to take the plunge without spending a fortune you know?

The lindell audio modules are supposedly very good and very cheap, I was thinking to start there.
VCOscillator
Once I am happy with the module selection in my modular this is going to be the next major addition to my setup. Lots of nice modules for the 500 system, the Api, Shadow Hills & Elysia modules are all on my wishlist.

The compact nature of the format appeals to me. Eurorack for synthesis and a couple of 500 series racks for mixing would be my perfect production setup thumbs up
stikygum
I think the 500 series is nice and convenient with it's small format. You can mix and match a wide variety of modules. And they have the highest quality of components. But if you're into modular synths, you can understand. I remember the first time I glanced at modular prices, I was quite surprised how much they cost, but the quality and flexibility you get SlayerBadger! Special? Well the sound of course. thumbs up
shreddoggie
Expensive is a relative term. People here complained about the price of the Moog Ladder when it came out, probably rightly so, but then again Moog have the patent and the shiny fancy name to charge the premium to get the 'real thing'. Other stuff is fairly priced, an API preamp or EQ or the equivalent in the 'Neve' style costs what it does 500 or 19" notwithstanding. Then there is stuff that is damn reasonable e.g. Elysia who make amazing dynamics units for under $500 / channel - a serious compressor usually starts at $1000 / channel and goes up from there. Then there is the ultra bargain stuff: Lindell audio make pres, eqs, and comps for $300 / channel. I haven't tried them but apparently they are top notch and the guy (Lindell) is a highly respected name guy with a reputation to uphold.

500 series definitely has a fad factor at present but I believe some of that is well deserved. I use it and love it. The small footprint makes it a little independent satellite of goodies. The lunchbox with power supply means that I don't have to buy power every time i buy a new device, and thus the devices are less expensive - the manufacturer can concentrate on the device itself knowing that it will draw from a standardized power source. Lastly - somewhat on the topic you started with - I like the ability to create a really diverse collection of devices tailored to my needs, I don't know offhand how else I could put an analog filter, optical compressor, 2 styles of pre, 2 styles of eq, and an analog delay, in such a convenient little package. IMO there is really something for everyone in the format, and expensive is relative to what you are comparing it to.
Yoa01
Seems like they make the ultimate solution to either a small studio or a console (I know Neve and a couple other console brands use 500's). That's good for my little idea.

And I get the price; I was just comparing them to cheaper 19" versions.
ws9848
I have some 500 stuff. It's nice! I think it's a little cheaper than 19" rack stuff because the power supply is separate
JeshuaW
I'm probably going to get all three Elysia processors. WOW they sound good and at such an amazing price too.

Here's what I'm thinking my first rack will consist of:

1. Rupert Neve Designs Portico 517 for a sick channel strip (a good input for my modular, guitars, and the occasional vocalist).
2. Elysia Xfilter Stereo EQ
3. Elysia Xpressor for mix bus compression
4. Elysia Nvelope for a stereo complex transient shaper
5. Little Labs VOG for voice over work and drum processing
6. Kind of a toss up for me, Moog Analog Delay (a little too expensive in stereo but it sounds so good), more preamps, or the Rupert Neve 542 Tape Simulator.
Michael O.
JeshuaW wrote:
I'm doing research to make the plunge into the 500 series. I'm looking to use the modules for mixing rather than tracking. I am kind of scared because most of the modules are mono with a few being stereo-linkable. Wouldn't you want your EQ and things like http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-542-500-series-tape-emulator-wi th-silk/ to be stereo?

Or maybe I'm just confused...

When mixing one wouldn't really need all that much stereo equipment (for instance, you'd most likely just be using the eq's for each channel in the console, which are mono anyway, rather than some sort of bussed eq; that's the beauty of multitrack recording). Most stereo stuff comes into play in the mastering phase (save for tracking overheads, m/s setups, some synths, etc.), and I don't think most mastering engineers would settle for 500 series modules anyway (lower rail voltage, relatively inferior power supplies, and as far as the form factor, I doubt the likes of Bob Ludwig have any shortage of physical space). While mixing is essentially about relative dynamics and spatiality I still see a lot of people who sort of conflate or combine mixing and mastering. There's no need to make mixes sound like masters (i.e. that obsession many contemporary producers have, myself being no exception at one point, to make everything sound perfectly cohesive in the mixing stage rather than during tracking and mastering).
JeshuaW
Hey thanks for the info Michael O.. I suppose I deal a lot with dual mono when I'm using Ableton, so that will easily get a more novice engineer confused into thinking everything is stereo. I am thinking of using a lot of processors for mix bus use and some for tracking my guitar and modular and the occasional voice.

Anywho, I dig the picture and I see you're from NOLA. I went to NOCCA back a few years ago and used to live in the Marigny and still have family down there. Who dat!
Michael O.
I've just typed a really detailed response, but it got deleted (thanks iPhone, hah!), will rewrite it tomorrow
Cat-A-Tonic
Michael O. wrote:
I've just typed a really detailed response, but it got deleted (thanks iPhone, hah!), will rewrite it tomorrow

I don't suppose you remember what you were going to say 3 years ago...

hihi zombie
Paranormal Patroler
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Michael O. wrote:

I don't suppose you remember what you were going to say 3 years ago...

hihi zombie

Too bad it got deleted, I would've loved to read it as well. The Michael O. post above, bashing people who mix up mastering and mixing really struck a chord, as I mess up those two all the time. I know the difference, but looking at 500 series I'm going all "oh I need to buy all these nice things for stereo processing of my bus channel". hihi
Futuresound
I think the 500 format makes a lot of sense, and as expensive as it is, finally puts some of that gear within reach.

That said, the price of the lunchboxes just kills me. A thousand dollars for a PSU and a little metal box?

Dead Banana
The Goob
Futuresound wrote:
I think the 500 format makes a lot of sense, and as expensive as it is, finally puts some of that gear within reach.

That said, the price of the lunchboxes just kills me. A thousand dollars for a PSU and a little metal box?

Dead Banana

Lindell is the way to go for the PSUs. $400 new for a 10-space.
Futuresound
The Goob wrote:
Futuresound wrote:

Dead Banana

Ah, that is good to know, I had missed those somehow. Thanks!

And after looking into it again, the API 8-slot is $425. My bank account will be sad now.
hyena
is there any DIY good and relatively cheap project?is there any DIY 500 series project at all?
Futuresound
hyena wrote:
is there any DIY good and relatively cheap project?is there any DIY 500 series project at all?

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com

and it's relation in eurorack: http://www.blackmarketmodular.com/#colours

and http://soundskulptor.com/uk/index.html
The Goob
These guys too:

http://www.capi-gear.com/catalog/

http://www.hairballaudio.com/
Paranormal Patroler
The Goob wrote:
Futuresound wrote:

Dead Banana

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated thumbs up
BugBrand
Yup - built a couple of CAPI preamps - dunno if I'm the best placed to comment (lack of time using the builds), but they always get great praise and I'm pretty sure this is very well deserved.
Also check http://www.soundskulptor.com/uk/index.html - built one of the 573 pres.
Both CAPI and SoundSkulptor provide FULL kits - very much what I'm after.

I also use a Lindell 6 space rack - was pretty cheap (think it was reconditioned 2nd-hand on ebay) + have a couple of their modules picked up the same way. If I ever get time to get more recording play-time then I'll surely get a bit more into the 500 series arena.
Paranormal Patroler
Or you can start offering your compressor and EQ devices as 500 series and become legendary hihi Mr. Green
taylor12k
i recently sold one of my lunch boxes and two RND 511 pres to help afford another piece of gear.. but i'll probably buy another lunchbox and a couple more pres to stick on the main outs of the Eurorack..

anyone have experience with the shadow hills mono gama? and how they might compare to the RND 511?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2